PDA

View Full Version : Can you hear me now??

Ken
01-10-2003, 07:53 AM
Glad to see things in order. I had a post up before the crash about what tipi size would be best. I would anticipate the majority of my use being 2-3 people for short stays, 2-4 people for 4-5 nights (usually once a year only), and sometimes all by myself. If I was gauranteed a partner, I would just go for the 8 man ultra-lite. I'm thinking I could squeeze by with a four man, but if you 8 man owners think that your tipi could be carried by one man, I would consider it. BTW I am currently using a 6700 cu. in. pack and carry my bag outside leaving the pack empty for all of my other gear. My major concern is space. Thanks in advance!

Patrick
01-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Ken--

Did you receive any responses to this question before the Board crashed? The reason I ask is because Maggie is in the process of trying to get all postings back onto this new-format Board, and maybe she just hasn't rounded up those responses to your questions...yet.

But since you are at present "hanging out" here, maybe I can talk with you bit about your tipi...dilemma, for lack of a better word. Heck, it is a dilemma. I'd have to say go with the 8 man tipi if most of your rambles are not solo, and up to four folks, or more. You will find when the word gets out you have this heated tent that more folks will want to come along. (And Carry Stuff for you!) Also, you can count on starting to venture out a lot more, especially in winter. In the ideal world you'd own both an 8 man and a Paratipi. Or perhaps even better an 8 man and a 4 man Ultralight. Down the line maybe you'll do just that.

As for your pack, what kind of sleeping bag do you tote? For that size pack your bag ought to fit inside. And I think you'll find things smoother if you carry the bag inside and other things on the outside--things like the tent. Again, any backpacking style mummy bag should fit inside that pack. Perhaps you'd like to list what you're gear consists of; many of our readers here can advise you on more compact alternatives. Now that the Board is up and running again I suspect you'll get some solid advice.

Patrick

Ken
01-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks Patrick. I think that the 8-man will be the best all around config. Hopefully you get your digi-cam together and get a couple of side by side packed and ready pictures for me. I've been watching the video and the 8-man looks sizeable in the stuff sack. As long as the 4-man isn't a lot smaller, the weight differences will not be such a big deal considering the gain in living space. I'll agree that the para-tipi AND the 8-man would solve everything but my checkbook won't allow that, so I really would like to get it right the first time. After my first season with your Spikecamp, it is nice to know that whatever my choice, I'll be more than happy. BTW is the mosquito netting removeable?

Patrick
01-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Hi Ken--

I'm having a pretty nice Sunday afternoon here; went out for a hike and came back to a message from you. I'm glad we're back up, Board-wise.

I'm assuming you're wanting an Ultralight 8 man. The netting is optional, and if you'll let us know when you order we can make it removeable. Otherwise, we sew it in permanently. No extra charge, it's just a service for those folks who want ALL the benefits of Ultalight, including removing the mosquito netting in the winter for lightest-possible carry weight. Be sure you TELL us if you decide on removeable.

Glad you like your SpikeCamp.

Patrick

Ken
01-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Glad to hear about the removable netting. One more reason to own a tipi! BTW where can I find those LED headlamps that you spoke of in the other post?

Dean
01-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Ken you can find most of the led headlamps at the REI, sierra tradding post, or Campor, websites.

Ken
01-13-2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks Dean. I'm not sure if I'm finding the exact model that Patrick described but I found some that are probably similar. BTW nice fish! What exactly is it?

MikeM
01-14-2003, 05:40 PM
To Ken just my own thoughts: I chickened out when I got my 8 man. I only had them make the back screen removeable. Hindsite is easy but if I were to do it again I would ask whether the front screen could be removeable BUT still contain a zipper for closing, giving you fast access when the bugs are blood thirsty. Just my opinion.

Ken
01-14-2003, 06:12 PM
MikeM- could you elaborate a little more, I'm a little dense and not understanding what your telling me. How does the MN attach? I would assume by a small zipper. Now, what are the differences in entering the tip from the fixed vs removable netting. Thanks for you input.

MikeM
01-14-2003, 07:08 PM
The removeable MN net uses velcro for attachement and is shaped like a triangle with the base towards the ground with the velcro on the two sides. The tent has the opposing velcro sewn on where the screen would normlly be attached. To get in you just push the velcro apart. Once in the tipi you pust the screen velcro against the door velcro along the full length or at the least the fraction you opened. No big problem, but not as fast as sliding a door zipper down when the bugs or rain are pouring in. Keep in mind this tent has a large foot print and sharp angled sides so when you're attaching the lower edges of the net you're bent over on your knees.

The zipper is extra weight so it kinda depends on how often you use it in bug weather. Most of my use is fall and early spring where I don't need the nets. The times I used it during bug season I appreciated that the screen had a zipper. I get in and out from the front door and use the back door for ventilation.

P.S. Any reason why you haven't turned on personal messages?

Patrick
01-14-2003, 07:33 PM
Mike--

If I recall correctly, your tipi was extraordinarily "custom". In addition to wanting only one screen, you asked for velcro in/out as well--to save the weight of the zipper. We ordinarily do "removeable" screening with a center zipper, which, as you have discovered, would be much faster on ingress/egress. Wanna re-do that screen in the "standard" way? Call the Shop if you do.

Patrick

Patrick
01-14-2003, 08:33 PM
Ken--

Thanks to Dean's post I went looking for my recommeded headlamp and got as far as campmor. They have it, and at a good price, I think. It's the Xenon 3LED Mini Headlamp. I saw all the lights Campmor features at the same Outdoor Retailer Show their buyers went to last year and came home with that light as THE item for us backpack hunters. In my humble opinion it's the ticket. The single bulb option (for battery longevity) and the loooong beam incandescent option sold me. Only improvement I see at this point in the evolution of these LED headlamps for us foot hunters is to find one that's a bit lighter. That is going to be a pretty incremental deal...maybe an ounce, ounce and a half. I snagged this thing as "there" for all practical purposes (finally, as I've been "watching" ever since LED headlamps came on the scene) and am content with the quest. Well, for the moment I suppose. I'm always open for negative weight! That'll rekindle my attention! But I'm not holding my breath.

Patrick

Ken
01-15-2003, 07:15 AM
MikeM - Thanks, I'm sure I'll be useing the tipi during bug season so one screen with a zipper will be a must. I didn't think I needed to have my personal messages turned on so all of the feedback I get will be veiwable for everybody. Now if I was giving away a good fishin' hole I'd do it by private e-mail.
Patrick- I found It! Not sure how I missed it the first time. What is the battery life with the xenon on full bore? Campmor didn't offer this info. Looks like a nice light!

01-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Ken--

I can't say exactly how long the thing'll burn--I've always been real preocupied with hunting and such; all my "testing" of it has been in the field, in other words. But, I have a lot of experience with many different headlamps over the past three or four decades of using 'em. I can say that even among the LED ranks this one will last a looong time, especially since you can use the quite effective single LED bulb most of the time. I'd have to say without doubt the burn time is the longest of any lightweight backpacking headlamp I've used, and that's been a bunch. If you start even a very long trip with reasonably fresh batteries and tote just one extra set you should be allright no matter what comes up. That's terrific in my book. I must add that I use the incandescent bulb sparingly. A quick flick to make sure of my surroundings and then back to LED mode (and usually single bulb). Or not at all if I'm comfortable with those surroundings. BTW, I ALWAYS carry one extra set of batts. 1 1/2 oz of seeing-what-must-be-seen foresite, know what I mean?

Patrick

Ken
01-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Patrick- I would have to think that this thing will last a long time based on what I've seen with my Petzel (which was a tip from this board!). I'm happy with the one I've got, but for the price of this I might have to check it out! Can't hurt to have a spare one of these, they are sooo handy!

MikeM
01-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Patrick
Thanks for the offer to modify the back door screen, but I'm happy with the way it is. I just use the back door for ventilation and the velcro works out great for that.

Ken, good luck with whatever your tent decision is.

Ken
01-16-2003, 12:54 PM
MIkeM- Thanks!

Dean
01-16-2003, 05:38 PM
Ken from top to bottom in order they are a thresher shark #2 is a big eye tuna #3 is a mako shark.