PDA

View Full Version : Snow and tipis?

bigbore442001
01-10-2003, 04:23 AM
I read the 4 season article about winter camping. This weekend I plan to try out the tipi at a local site. We have about 12" of snow on the ground. What would be the best method to secure the tipt. SST pins? Clear the snow off and use the nails in the hard, rocky frozen ground? It seems that the article eluded to that the sst pins are used when there is a snowpack of 2 or more feet.

Any suggestions?

Patrick
01-10-2003, 08:50 AM
BigBore--

Well, it's mighty nice to be able to "talk" again. I never realized how much I enjoyed jawboning with you guys 'til the Board crashed for a week and I couldn't do it anymore.

Anyway, assuming you have a set of SST pins yes, you CAN use them in as little as a foot of snow. The snow depth will actually be less because you'll want to "pack" it before erecting the tent. Then insert the pins at a quite steep angle. Nevertheless, I'd almost certainly just shovel the snow off and use the nails. A foot of loose snow is reasonably easy to just kick off the site. You don't have to worry about geting it ALL off either--the stove will cook it away in a few hours. In other words get the tipi up and the stove going--it's COLD out there! Then kick or shovel the "rest" out the door(s), or just ignore it and ensonce yourself on your foam pad by the stove and settle in warm and cosy. Got it?

Patrick

bigbore442001
01-10-2003, 10:06 AM
I really appreciate the advice. I kind of figured that it would be best to just shovel the area off. This will be a good test this weekend to see how well it works.