PDA

View Full Version : Tipi Liner Experience Anyone??

snowdevil
01-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Category: Category 1
Date: 21 Dec 2002
Time: 11:28:49 -0500
Remote Name: 198.81.26.112

Comments
I am going to get an 8 man ultralight tipi soon, I will use it in the late fall hunting at high elevations in idaho. It can rain and have wet snow this time of year. I am wondering if the tipi liner is worth having. Anyone with experience with it I would appreciate your comments. Merry Christmas
TJW

snowdevil
01-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Category: Category 1
Date: 21 Dec 2002
Time: 23:25:47 -0500
Remote Name: 64.33.161.4

Comments
I have an 8 man. Used it for various trips all 4 seasons. The only time I turned it into a green house was summer camping when I set it up on saturated ground in sunny 75+ temps. Too warm for a fire. Thought about a linner for summer canoe camping but decided it wasn't the right item for me since I wsn't willing to pack the extra weight for the other seasons. (Provided you can burn wood!)

GreatNW
01-10-2003, 05:24 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. I was in a friends south of Mt. Rainier in October and very little condensation in the morning. Surprising really. I've had more in my 4man Eureka Timberline tent with just my wife and one of my daughters and me.
A little heat from the stove for coffee and breakfast and it is just gone!
This is Washington State! And there was a ton of moisture in the air. No rain, but there was so much dew on the plants in may as well have been raining.
Can't imagine needing one ever in Idaho.
Good luck.

selwellkifaru
01-27-2003, 04:12 PM
This fall I was bear hunting on Kodiak Island, Ak. in a 8 man tipi. Real wet and windy, temps down to the high 20's and up to the 40's during the day. With just two of us in the tent and drying out clothes, it got real wet and drippy inside. When I got back I bought a liner. Haven't used it yet. On the plus side the tipi with 18" tundra pegs, held up to 50 mph + winds and rain for two weeks.

MikeM
01-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Selwellkifaru - unusual handle. Thanks for the update. I haven't had mine out in prolong rain so I was wondering too - now you've given me a reason to get serious. Were you able to burn decent fires at night or were you fighting a losing battle with wet wood too?

Tyde
01-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Selwellkifaru,
I like the handle. See you at practice on Wednesday.

Tyde