View Full Version : Basic deer hunting question

snowdevil
01-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Category: Category 1
Date: 29 Dec 2002
Time: 19:36:37 -0500
Remote Name: 12.82.140.152

Comments
Being a mostly self taught hunter, I learned what little I know about deer hunting from books. "The Deer Hunters Guide" by Francis Sell has been my bible (The Gospel According to St. Francis). Sell claims that deer will usually approach their feeding areas into the wind. However, Boyd Iverson, author of "Blacktail Trophy Tactics" and another Oregon hunter, swears that deer approach feeding areas with the wind from their backtrail and that they use their eyes to alert them to danger lurking in the feeding area. Has anyone on this board spent enough time studying deer habit to have an informed opinion on this important bit of hunting lore? A person could spent lot of time sitting watching the wrong side of a clearcut. Also, any other fans of Francis E. Sell and his books out there?

bob@helleknife.com
01-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Dale,

Being strictly a bow hunter forces me to really take note of the wind.

More than once I have had blacktails feed with the wind as Boyd describes.

Don't know anything about whitetails and most all of my mule deer hunting is desert spot and stalk stuff. Sneak up (try to) when they are taking a nap.

bob@helleknife.com
http://www.helleknife.com

bigbore442001
01-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Not that I am an expert but I do have a little experience deer hunting. I hunt with the bow, gun and muzzleloader from September to New Years Eve. In addition, I hunt two or more states each year.

To me the most important variable is the wind and scent. There are all kinds of scent killing products out on the market. They are not a cure all but I do believe that they help out a tad.

I have noticed that the area I hunt in is affected by which treestand I use in relation to the wind. In one spot, deer will come out of a patch of laurel and oak into a field when the wind is from the east,south and southwest. My stand is in front of the patch. If the wind blows from the west,northwest north the deer detect my stand and will not emerge from the tangle. I actually hunt by watching the Weather Channel. If the wind isn't right I look to another stand.

I believe that the deer have set patterns and they will modify them if they believe danger exists. They determine danger mostly by scent. I've had deer look right at me and amble by not knowing what I was. Soon as the wind was right and they are gone.

So, my advice is to pattern where you see deer and position yourself to where they move in relation to the wind. If you see runs going north to south, I would sit along one only if the wind was blowing from the northwest to the norteast. If the wind was from the south, I'd hunt elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

bigbore442001
01-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Not that I am an expert but I do have a little experience deer hunting. I hunt with the bow, gun and muzzleloader from September to New Years Eve. In addition, I hunt two or more states each year.

To me the most important variable is the wind and scent. There are all kinds of scent killing products out on the market. They are not a cure all but I do believe that they help out a tad.

I have noticed that the area I hunt in is affected by which treestand I use in relation to the wind. In one spot, deer will come out of a patch of laurel and oak into a field when the wind is from the east,south and southwest. My stand is in front of the patch. If the wind blows from the west,northwest north the deer detect my stand and will not emerge from the tangle. I actually hunt by watching the Weather Channel. If the wind isn't right I look to another stand.

I believe that the deer have set patterns and they will modify them if they believe danger exists. They determine danger mostly by scent. I've had deer look right at me and amble by not knowing what I was. Soon as the wind was right and they are gone.

So, my advice is to pattern where you see deer and position yourself to where they move in relation to the wind. If you see runs going north to south, I would sit along one only if the wind was blowing from the northwest to the norteast. If the wind was from the south, I'd hunt elsewhere.

Hope this helps.

Dave R.
01-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Hi Bigbore....

I'm getting reaccustomed to hunting wood lots in PA...I was away for 15 years, but its amazing how my childhood has been rushing back to me, hunting the hardwoods again. I think your take on the wind is dead on. I have been focusing on a patch of 200 acres here....learning every thing I can. The wind is the key every time. I got a new TC encore muzzleloader this year, a gift from my father. I killed two nice does stalking and working with the wind.

Keep your posst coming....excellent advice.

Dave