PDA

View Full Version : Pa Youth Mentored hunt

just a feed boy
10-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Life's grand being a dad. Today was a special day we went archery hunting together during a mentored youth archery hunt. Logan, my 10 yr old son harvested his first buck this evening. We saw the buck at 100 yds, I pointed him out to him as the buck crossed a creek, I called like a doe. The buck continued to feed towards us. At 60 yds my son was getting excited. I called again and told him not to move. the buck continued towards us and stops head on at 20 yds. I whispered to him wait till he puts his head behind a tree then you can stand to shoot. The deer hides his head behind a tree, Logan slips off the safety and stands to use the rail of the tree stand as a rest. I whisper wait till he is broadside. The deer turns pauses and Logan smokes him with an arrow from the crossbow. The deer leaps and piles up in front of his grandfather who is a stones throw away. I had just as much fun guiding as I ever have in my life of hunting.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-28-2010, 09:46 PM
The smile on his face just made my day! Congrats to Logan and his excellent guide!

Smokepole
10-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Awesome, great job by you and Logan.

parko
10-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Outstanding Logan and dad! How is that sleeping bag working out for you guys?

Parko

just a feed boy
10-29-2010, 09:19 AM
It got used the first week we got it. It is a really nice bag for a kid. He got to use it 7-8 days/nights over the summer. His most memorable was he was testing the water to see if we could sleep out in the last cooler snap 8pm. And I said lets go. Off we went the boys and I with out a tent on a clear,starlit night. He was plenty warm. Thanks for asking. If he doesn't wear it out his younger brother hopes to.

mark s
10-29-2010, 09:59 AM
What a smile. Thanks. Always love seeing kids out hunting. Reminds me of a friends first hunt with his son. Kid is fast asleep in the stand with his father when a big ten point comes along. Dad quietly wakes him up, he takes the shot and Dad process the trophy. Got to love it.

parko
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
The younger brother should get to use it and then pass it on. I've got a down Bean bag that I have been using for going on 25 years and I have just started to look for a replacement.

snakey2
11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
The smile says it all. That is what hunting is all about. Great job.