PDA

View Full Version : Antelope Hunt Report

hammbone
10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I got back from an antelope hunt in Unit 138. It turned over very well for me.

Three firsts on this trip:
1. I shot my first antelope buck,
2. I got some poachers/land trespassers to make a $100 donation to the DOW
3. I cut myself so badly while filed dressing this old boy I now have 5 stiches and 2 steri-strips on my left ring finger.

Thanks to all who suggested good optics I went with Leupold Cascades and the worked great. Also, thanks to the guys who recommemed the Gatco Knife sharpening system. Yep, got my gerber sharp... Maybe too sharp...

Enjoy the pics.40724071

DP
10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Hammbone,

Sounds like an real adventure! I'm glad the Gatco got your knife sharp but sorry you cut yourself so badly. That sounds pretty scary. I watched a guy on youtube who gave some hints on how to make your knife scalpel sharp and now I'm afraid of my knives.

Smokepole
10-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Nice buck, congratulations. And with a classic, too.

colohunter303
10-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice buck! i am headed out tomo morning. hope to be posting pics of a monster for ya'll tomo.

Huntsman22
10-05-2010, 08:12 PM
nice buck, hammer......

elmbow
10-05-2010, 08:27 PM
nice looking set of horns, congrats.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-06-2010, 08:47 AM
That's a fine buck to shoot for a first antelope kill. Is his front shoulder scuffed up from fighting?

Congrats!

hammbone
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
That's a fine buck to shoot for a first antelope kill. Is his front shoulder scuffed up from fighting?

Congrats!

I think his shoulder was scuffed up from crossing fences. You can't see it in the picture, but his left jaw had quite a gash and there was lots of dried blood that had run down his neck and stuck there. At first glance, I though he had been shot in the jaw. However, when we took a closer look there were no entrance/exit holes or broken bones so it must have been from him fighting.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
I think his shoulder was scuffed up from crossing fences. You can't see it in the picture, but his left jaw had quite a gash and there was lots of dried blood that had run down his neck and stuck there. At first glance, I though he had been shot in the jaw. However, when we took a closer look there were no entrance/exit holes or broken bones so it must have been from him fighting.

Ahh, he's a scrapper. I love the dark hair from his nose to his horns. I wanted one like that this year, but never found him during season.

hammbone
10-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Nice buck, congratulations. And with a classic, too.

I've had that K31 in the safe for a few years and decided to work up an antelope load with it this year. She's a shooter. I hit that old boy through the heart at 225 yards.

Timberline
10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
A dandy buck! Congratulations.

Sure is fun hunting with different rifles