PDA

View Full Version : Lewis & Clark (NW) Rondy Dates

evanhill
10-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Alright. The general location is somewhere within about 50 miles of Spokane WA. The goal is a winter Rondy with a 2-3 mile trip in on skis or snowshoes. Exact location TBD, but what is most important right now is to choose dates and lock them in. There won't be a winter Rondy in OR this year like the past three years (unless someone else organizes it). I'm focusing on this new location to get the OR/WA and the MT guys all together in one place. Should be a great time. If you are interested in going, please use the poll to select the weekend(s) that work best for you. Also feel free to comment on this thread, just don't forget to actually select the dates you like in the poll.

David in OR
10-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Evan, had you incorporated an "any of the above" option, I would have selected it.

This is a great idea that compensates for my having had to miss the summer rondy. Thanks for organizing it.

Wanderlustr
10-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Well that lit up the results board. ;)

Still hoping for some terrain that we can do this to it.....

evanhill
10-01-2010, 04:04 PM
David, it's a multi-select. Just check every date. If we use the poll, it will save me from manually tabulating results. I'm mostly a luddite, but sometimes lazy wins ;)

David in OR
10-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Done.........

snakey2
10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I hope I skewed the results in favor of any of the weekends.

Bushcraft
10-01-2010, 05:22 PM
I thought the goal of the NW Lewis & Clark was to eat nine pounds of meat every day?

Wanderlustr
10-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I thought the goal of the NW Lewis & Clark was to eat nine pounds of meat every day?

Took me weeks to loose the meat sweats from the summer rondy!

medic16
10-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Every date is good except for Feb 4-6. Really going to try and make this one.

RDinMT
10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm open to whatever you guys want for dates.

Now if I can just put something down in the grass to come up with my daily protein ration for the event!

Kyle
10-04-2010, 07:57 PM
RD,
You can always buy some MREs to bring along....nevermind.

Thus far, all dates look good for me.

evanhill
10-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm going to give this thing another week, and then call the date. Get your votes in!

disillusionedpatriot
10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
At this time I don't have any date preferences or restrictions so I checked all of them.

I'd like to submit a candidate location, the Juniper Dunes Wilderness. This is a palouse desert wilderness which I believe would be very interesting winter terrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper_Dunes_Wilderness

David in OR
10-07-2010, 09:44 AM
^ I went there for the first time this summer. Interesting place. During the winter, it might be like a sea of white rollers. Access seemed a bit hinky (surrounded by private land). I went in from the north, through private property (with permission), but there's access from the west as well?

SuperBadger
10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
If we did it the 4-6 I could have my birthday "out there"....which would be awesome! But the next weekend is fine too. Great idea! I am really hoping I can make this one.

Wanderlustr
10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
At this time I don't have any date preferences or restrictions so I checked all of them.

I'd like to submit a candidate location, the Juniper Dunes Wilderness. This is a palouse desert wilderness which I believe would be very interesting winter terrain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juniper_Dunes_Wilderness

That does look like a cool spot. Evan, being a big fan of skate skiing, would have plenty of room to work on his technique there!

Andy_in_NH
10-08-2010, 10:27 PM

If not, please let me know how the "portable soup" tastes. Or the candles. ;)

oldpinecricker
10-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Remember that the palouse area is relatively low in elevation and it would be best visited in the coldest portion of the winter (maybe and January date).

This really is some interesting area and I often have wanted to explore it as I've driven by it on route to Oregon. It really would be very similiar to what Lewis and Clark encountered on the way to the Columbia and probably has changed little from it's natural state. I'm happy that someone would suggest an interesting area.

scothill
10-09-2010, 05:31 PM
The only question is whether or not there is going to be enough snow in the palouse. If not it is kind of out. Although I would love to go somewhere besides the Cascades for the next summer rondee maybe we could hit the Palouse then.

Bushcraft
10-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Having lived in the Palouse for several years, I can tell you that it can be hit or miss whether or not there'll be snow. And, even if there is, no telling if it will be enough to warrant skis, snowshoes and such. I generally prefer timber country to the open grass and sage, especially for camping (I hate the wind), even more so in the winter since burning sage would be a problem (think wilderness rules).

Scot, you raise a good point with regard to next summer's NW Rondy destination...I too would love to put it on in a different geographical setting as well but it is a tall order to find a backpackable location that is amenable to all the different wants, needs and physical (err, mental) limitations of those that want to come and the sheer number of attendees, especially if little ones are present. Also, keep in mind that there are the Cascades and then there are THE CASCADES!, as in North Cascades...a far more remote, beautiful, challenging and radically different topography than the relatively mundane and - let's face it, downright boring in comparison reaches south of I-90.

Personally, I'd love to see three different types of NW Rondy: 1) the usual waffle stomp or ski in Winter Rondy, a 2) CO Rondy car camp, shooting oriented rondy that takes place at the most convenient/safe locale, and 3) a three-to-four day, soul-feeding, raise-the-bar, better-have-your-sh*t-together adventure through some of the best and most remote backcountry the NW has to offer...namely the North Cascades, The Bob, The Selway or Frank Church or maybe even the Eagle Caps (even though it's a pretty small tract of land in comparison to the others).

Allen

SuperBadger
10-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Actually, turns out I have to be in Portland for the 4-6th to take care of some animals. The following dates (11-13) are good to go though.

medic16
10-10-2010, 11:40 AM
February 11-13 sounds good to me too.

evanhill
10-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Wanderlustr, I did skate ski once this past winter for about 50 yards. Very much the highlight of my winter. :D

Winter Rondy location is mostly on oldpinecricker's shoulders as he lives the closest to the general vicinity (hint hint). However, Wanderlustr is quickly nominating himself as location scout with his insistence on having a nearby skin and ski bowl. I'd love to have something like that myself, if only to see Wanderlustr's "polish telemark" technique.

Personally, I'd love to see three different types of NW Rondy: 1) the usual waffle stomp or ski in Winter Rondy, a 2) CO Rondy car camp, shooting oriented rondy that takes place at the most convenient/safe locale, and 3) a three-to-four day, soul-feeding, raise-the-bar, better-have-your-sh*t-together adventure through some of the best and most remote backcountry the NW has to offer...namely the North Cascades, The Bob, The Selway or Frank Church or maybe even the Eagle Caps (even though it's a pretty small tract of land in comparison to the others).

After spending the last 3 days in the Eagle Caps, I've resolved never to plan another trip in the Cascades. Quick overnighters maybe, but life is too short to spend on crap country. I'll give the N Cascades a shot, but doubt they'll hold up to the scrutiny of this Colorado boy. Wasn't impressed with the Pasayten when I went in there.

As for the summer Rondy, I continue to like the moderate backcountry trips we've been doing (although I'd vote for the Eagle Caps instead of WA cascades). It gives families and beginners the impetus to stretch themselves and experience something they might not otherwise. On the other hand, if one finds the terrain lacking in vigor it is a simple matter to throw an extra 30 pounds of crew gear or a small child in the pack to up the ante a bit. That has the added benefit of making it a more amenable outing for folks on the other end of the capability spectrum (see point one).

Bushcraft
10-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Evan,

I'm not a huge fan of the Pasayten either and that's not necessarily the remote, rugged, hanging glacier and expansive meadows and heather North Cascade country I'm referring to. Where did you go in the Pasayten? If you were just bopping around the edge, especially the east side, I can understand the ho-hum aspect if that's where you traipsing around.

We need to get you into the GPW, next year. Think "Eagle Cap" goodness, just a lot more expansive.

Now, get to work posting some of your trip pics, will ya?

Allen

oldpinecricker
10-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Evan, I've got several prospective areas in mind for the winter rondy.

If you NW fellas want to go to an stellar location for an summer rondy I think that the Beartooths in Montana should be THE location. It's got just enough timber, just enough moisture, and up high is well equiped with mountain lakes and expansive views of high meadows, plateaus, and drop offs.

disillusionedpatriot
10-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Having lived in the Palouse for several years, I can tell you that it can be hit or miss whether or not there'll be snow. And, even if there is, no telling if it will be enough to warrant skis, snowshoes and such. I generally prefer timber country to the open grass and sage, especially for camping (I hate the wind), even more so in the winter since burning sage would be a problem (think wilderness rules).

Would have to check the rules of the particular area.

I've been in the Cascades enough and to me it's just a matter of Doug fir vs. pine, btdt. Another possibility I'd be interested in would be the Wenaha-Tucanon Wilderness. I've been all around it but never actually into it. Seems quite do-able and somewhat central if the goal is to get WA-OR-ID-MT people to attend. Plus I've always wanted to check out that little ski area near Dayton.

I really don't care about trees and hills, that's common scenery. I'd rather be at some more barren area or a remote stretch of river bottom.

Wanderlustr
10-11-2010, 07:11 PM
As a young kid before making my way to Colorado, I was raised on Lewis & Clark Lake in SD and was into it, hunted birds mostly and had a trap line when I was a young teenager. It was a great experience. Mountains or the windy plains.... I can go either way and enjoy the experience.
Since I live in the North Cascades I just have to put up with the hoh hum stuff around here. :)

Randy
10-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Can't pick a date this far out on my end. We were told a week ago, don't plan any time off in January. Feb remains to be seen. I need someplace simple to ski into...haven't been on skinny skis for about 25 years and haven't seen my alpine gear for at least 5.

As far as Summer 2011. Our last 2 spots are likely out. Mike was told that both roads will be under repair and vehicle passable by the summer season. GPW will definitely sort folks out. Eagle Caps would be cool as would the Imnaha Canyon.

A car camp, cooking, shooting, eating, low-key camp would be a great option for families and youngsters and a better venue for sharing gear, guns, dogs and dutch ovens:)

Bushcraft
10-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Yeah Bitt, that sort of ho-hum country country couldn't possibly do anything to replenish one's soul. ;)

Randy,...dutch oven cookin'...now you are talking!

oldpinecricker
10-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Here's an link to an location next to the Interstate highway. There's a complex of canyons and lakes around there usually with very heavy snowfall and cornices.
http://www.cameracorral.com/hike_info/stevenspeak.html

There is also Tiger Mtn, Dam Creek, Elbow Gulch, lots of cool places like the Coeur d' Alene river, chain lakes area, Priest Lake, Selkirks, and on and on.

Bushcraft
10-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Special Notice - there has been car vandalism over the years at all of Stevens Peaks trailheads. Do not leave any valuables or equipment in your car at any trailhead anywhere.

Sounds perfect!

:D

evanhill
10-18-2010, 12:19 PM
February 4-6, 2011 it is. Mark those dates down on your calendar! I'm going to start a new thread kicking around locations.