PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Midwest Rondy.

mark s
09-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I would like to attend a Midwest Rondy, so I wanted to raise the idea of hosting one (first) at my Dad's farm. My Dad's farm is about 60 miles southeast of Cincinnati, Ohio, and is a good parcel of mostly hills, a beautiful creek and bottom land fields that could easily hold a Rondy and shooting range. Most of the land is leased for hunting so a Rondy would need to be in the winter. I was thinking, perhaps, weekend of Martin Luther King day or Presidents day to have the extra Monday. Cincinnati is almost East but is sort of equidistant from Kentucky/Tennessee and Michigan and not too far from Indiana or eastern Illinois. It may be too far for a lot of people, but I thought I would put the idea out there.

Plan would be basic car camping (there are no houses) in an area that can give the illusion of pre-Appalachians wilderness. I would plan on having an 8 man tipi, paratipi and tarps there. Weather would hopefully be below freezing, but the likelihood of enough snow to crosscounty ski is doubtful. Activities could include hiking, exploring, food, BSing and shooting. If things work out, targets, various guns and help setting up a range would be helpful (I am limited to what I usually hunt with in Ohio, a slug gun).

I assume everyone is/will be preoccupied with hunting season, but this could be an option for a mid-winter escape. If there is interest, I'll clear it with my Dad and brothers (some of who are likely to be interested and there as well).

Ideas and comments?

rayporter
09-01-2010, 04:49 PM
i go home to ohio to hunt and would welcome a second reason to go home. so yes - i am interested. ray

one-eyed Bob
09-02-2010, 06:42 PM
You are not too far from my location. I will be on a mission in February, however. You should be able to attract people from all over the eastern US with this location. If Patrick will come it will be a success. ibob

Ballbearing
09-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm just a few miles South of one-eyed Bob so, distance-wise at least, I might be interested. The only issue I have is scheduling. Sometimes I have short notice on work schedule, etc.

parko
09-14-2010, 08:33 PM
I have been wanting to attend a rondy for some time. I would be very interested in making the trip.

jljmonky
09-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I am interested, I will have to check with Scheduleing as well, I was down that way at Rocky Fork this summer, really liked the area. Keep us posed, I could bring 2 1911s, 2 .22s, a couple of 20 guages and a .270 if someone wants to bring ammo...

jljmonky
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Any new thoughts? trying to get one of the guys at work interested as well...

mark s
10-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Well, we could pick a date. How about the MLK weekend (Jan 15-17)? The wife will usually travel with me for this weekend, and she makes mean buttermilk pancakes. I am pretty flexible though particularly if Patrick would have an interest in seeing southern Ohio (hint, hint). To me, it really is a special place; I am heading down there this weekend to do some trail work and sit in a stand with the bow.

Mark

parko
10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Mark I think that is a step in the right direction, set a date. Looking at some of the other rondy threads there seemed to be a reluctence to just set a date. I work every other weekend and have not looked that far out to see if I'm working or not. Vacation is always an option, if I'm working we'll just have to see. As for the shooting I could bring some shooten' irons and possabily some steel pepper poppers.

jljmonky
10-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Well, we could pick a date. How about the MLK weekend (Jan 15-17)? The wife will usually travel with me for this weekend, and she makes mean buttermilk pancakes. I am pretty flexible though particularly if Patrick would have an interest in seeing southern Ohio (hint, hint). To me, it really is a special place; I am heading down there this weekend to do some trail work and sit in a stand with the bow.

Mark

That weekend looks doable... I don't know if any of the rest of you care, but that is about the same geographic region that Dave Canteburry is from (Dual Survival and Pathfinder School LLC). I made it to the Pathfinder Gathering this year, he and Iris might be interested... Thoughts?

parko
10-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Mark is this going to be MLK weekend?

testedone
10-29-2010, 11:03 PM
I could make if the dates work out for me well...

mark s
10-30-2010, 09:21 AM
I'll be there MLK weekend. At worst, it can be a rondy for one or any greater number. As mentioned, I'll have an eight man tipi and an outfitter wing (big tarp) for a covered area for shade or cover from elements. The wife will likely come and I can probably convince her to make a batch of seafood dirty rice for a meal and have her make scratch buttermilk pancakes. The area is 85-90% wooded hills, camping in a field along a big creek with a potential long shooting range at the next field. The creek, hills and woods are particularly magical if it is really cold and there is snow.

Mark

jljmonky
11-29-2010, 11:12 AM
I am totally into this, are you looking at 15-17 or 14-17... what do we need to do to get directions and make further plans?

mark s
12-21-2010, 08:30 PM
MLK weekend is almost here, so who is still interested? Drop me a PM and I will send directions. It is about 6 miles from Ripley, Ohio if you want to check out the general area by mapquest or google earth. As I mentioned, if more than a couple people are going to show up, we'll set up down on the creek. If less than a couple, we may set up on the hill (the wife will probably want to stay in the cabin). I think a large group will be more fun on the creek with the large fields for a possible range. I was just there this weekend for the deer bonus weekend. It was cold, deer weren't moving till Monday (day after the season) but with 3 inches of snow and long hikes up the valley and in the hills, it was beautiful!

For the MLK weekend, I would probably get there on Friday and people could come for any or all of the four days.

Mark

mark s
01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
I figure that I should officially cancel the Midwest Rondy at the farm as my dad is in the hospital and I think I won't be able to make it. Perhaps another time could be worked out if there is interest.

Mark