PDA

View Full Version : Lewis & Clark Winter Rondy?

evanhill
08-17-2010, 10:00 PM
I mentioned this on the Montana Rondy thread, but thought I'd put it into broader circulation.

At the MT Rondy, lots of folks were saying "let's do a winter rondy". Down here in OR, we've done a winter rondy three years in a row. It's usually a smaller hardier band of souls, but a heck of a lot of fun. We get a couple of miles at most into the backcountry under our own power and then have a great time.

It occured to me that, instead of separate NW and MT winter rondys, a combined "Lewis & Clark Winter Rendezvous" somewhere in the Spokane / Coeur d' Alene area might just be a really great thing. It wouldn't be close to anybody but Old Pine Cricker (and Randy in a backasswards sort of way), but it would be a *reasonable* drive for lots of folks:

Pocatello, Bend, Eugene: ~8hr
Puget Sound, Portland: ~6hr
Helena: ~5hr
Whitefish, Yakima: ~4hr
(sorry glasgow, it's a ways from you)

It would actually be a shorter easier drive for the Puget Sound folks than coming down here to Bend has been.

So, what say you all? Who would attend a winter rondy in this general area if it worked out scheduling wise?

David in OR
08-17-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd hit it. Great idea.

Bushcraft
08-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I'd line out the silver bullet across the pond, over the mountains and across the wind swept great basin under two conditions...1) the snow needs to be deep, and 2) the temps need to be cold.

SLG
08-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Evan,

Depending on exactly when and where, I'm certainly up for it. If it's going to be really cold, I might bring two poncho liners this time;-)

evanhill
08-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Bushcraft, if I could control the weather I'd be in a different line of work. You missed out on deep snow and a fairly cold time at the first rondy this past year. You missed out on even deeper snow at the second one. The flip side to deep snow and cold is driving conditions. Clear and cold makes it easy for everyone to get there. If it is dumping, driving times go up quite a bit. Maybe someone from that area can suggest a time of year when snowpack is really good but it hasn't warmed up yet. Mid to late Feb?

one-eyed Bob
08-18-2010, 12:02 PM
The expedition, arguably, started at what is now Clarksville, Indiana, just down the interstate from my home. I better leave today.

evanhill
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
It's been a while since I read Undaunted Courage so I don't remember exactly what time of year it was when they came down into that country. Don't think it was winter time. I picked the name because many attendees would be roughly following the expedition route (east or west bound) to arrive at the site.

Either way, you've got your work cut out for you OEB!

snakey2
08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Schedule permitting (and weather permitting me to get there) I would come. Carpool maybe.

Wanderlustr
08-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds like a great idea.
Same as others..... weather permitting.
My only other suggestion is it should be in a really good setting....location, location....location.

My winter hang outs tend to look like this - and need a set of tracks laid down to complete the scene....
http://bitt.smugmug.com/Other/Spring-09/IMG4923a/478126170_2nouR-L.jpg

Kyle
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Sounds like fun. Work schedule permitting, I'm in.

Ed T
08-18-2010, 10:57 PM
Evan,

I did an Avy course at Silver Mtn a number of years back. Late January I think and the snow was awesome. Temps not too bad either.

'Course we could always have it where we did a couple weeks ago, say Jan 20th. That location is only a few miles from the record cold spot in the lower 48 of -70 on January 20, 1954.

Simon might need three poncho liners :)

Ed T

Levi
08-19-2010, 09:24 AM
I'd definetly be in for a winter get togethor. I've never spent any time around the Spokane/Couer d Alane area, but I've got to image there'd be a good spot somewhere in there for a rendezvous. May Aaron will chime in with his thoughts as I believe that's right in his backyard.

Levi

RDinMT
08-19-2010, 11:22 AM
One thing to consider for that area is the number of snowmobilers. Nothin' against 'm just might be a little crowded in places with trail/road access.

medic16
08-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Might be able to make this trip.

SuperBadger
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
I am in! Sounds like a great time!

Randy
08-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey, the way the real estate market is in Spokane I could very well be up at the place plowing snow:O

If we have snow like 2 years ago, we can just hold it in my backyard...hopefully we'll be done with it by then, but who knows?

I'm in work and driving conditions permitting.

MikeB.
08-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds great, Evan. I was just telling my wife over dinner last night that I should make inquiry about a NW winter rondy! With enough lead time, I think Randy would be on board too & we might be able to ferry a west-sider or two from Yakima on to the east.