PDA

View Full Version : Why all western rondezvous?

jljmonky
08-17-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't get it... what do I have to do to con someone into a Midwest Rondezvous?

evanhill
08-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Here's what you do:

Take a brief poll of folks to assess interest, and come up with a likely date and general location. If you're the organizer, location accessible to you is a bonus so you can properly scout and prepare ahead of time.
Once you have an idea what date might work for a fair number of folks, declare the date well in advance and don't change it. Also pick the general location well in advance.
Let Patrick know when the date is. He might be able to make it.
Keep publicizing.
Go in ahead of time and dig a latrine and buck firewood.
Have a great time, but don't forget to take pictures.
Post a good report of the Rondy with pictures after the fact so people who decided not to come regret it so much they come next year.
Repeat. It may take a year or so to turn it into a going concern, but if you stick with it you'll probably be successful.

CCH
08-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Follow all of Evan's suggestions and the WORST case is that you spend a weekend camping by yourself which in my book is still a great time. I'm sure there are enough Mid-West guys to pull something off.

rayporter
08-18-2010, 06:51 AM
pick the right date and i will show.

scothill
08-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Rondees happen because someone decides to make the happen. If you want to go to a rondee and no one in your areas is doing one then you be that guy. If no one steps up and makes it happen with a time and place then it won't happen.

So if you want one follow Evan's list.

jljmonky
08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Evan thanks for the input...

Looking into locations, my assumption (and hope) is that this isn't a "car camping" expedition... but what kind of distance is acceptable? I have 10 acres of private ground that I can use but it isn't out in the middle of no where... which I don't believe to be ideal... and fact is, even in Shawnee, there isn't a lot of "wilderness" left to get out into... I'm going to work at this but will probably have several little questions like this...

evanhill
08-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Accessibility is a continuum and you have to figure out where you want to be on that continuum. The higher you set the bar, the lower the attendance will be.

At one end you have car camping rondys in the summer which have higher attendance and are easier for families. At the other end you have backcountry winter trips which require cold weather skills and gear and may not have more than 6 folks show up.

For a pack in trip that you want a lot of folks including families to come to, I'd say no more than 2-3 miles and 500ft of elevation gain. That is a realistic bar for the less conditioned folks and younger kids, and allows the stronger folks to pack in quite a bit in the way of camp comfort to make for an enjoyable rondy.

Lot to be said for a private ground car camping event to encourage a lot of people to show up.

CCH
08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Shooting has traditionally been a significant part of the Rondys so finding a place that will allow that could be important as well.

Timberline
08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't get it... what do I have to do to con someone into a Midwest Rondezvous?

Archery deer tags and a bunch of hot treestands in Pike County would do it. We'd supply tipis, broadheads and stories.

Randy
08-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I think the NW, MT and NW winter rondy happen exactly for the reasons Evan states. Someone decided a NW get together was in order, put the word out and went camping. 1st year was a small group, but it was a catalyst. Bushwhack This! occurred because the folks from the year before found a great, remote spot, found a date that allowed Patrick to attend and promoted accordingly. The NW rondy has grown to a solid core of folks who most likely will always attend if they can. As a by-product many have bbecome fast friends, enjoy short rambles to out of the way places for hunting and fishing and even annual family get togethers. If you want to build up a midwest rondy, do exactly what Evan suggested and it will come together. Most likely other folks from other parts of the country will even make the jaunt to meet new friends and see new vistas. Best of luck!

jljmonky
08-21-2010, 06:25 AM
I'll make some calls, but why wouldn't I keep that to myself anyway? I know a guy with a farm in Johnson county and one in Adams county (pretty close to Pike) but I don't know how open either of them are to a bunch of people they don't know running around their farm.

Archery deer tags and a bunch of hot treestands in Pike County would do it. We'd supply tipis, broadheads and stories.

Sawtooth
08-21-2010, 07:04 AM
I say we all go camp in rnd3789's front yard. :D If something gets going in S. Illinois, W. Indiana, Missouri, N. Arkansas, E. Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, during the summer I would love to tie it into our family's annual pilgrimage into those parts. I have good contacts with famer-friends in NE Missouri, but it's not too close to airports or any board members it seems.