PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Seminar --- ** warning: Large Pictures **

Evans
11-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Hey,

Just got home and started posting. It turned out to be a very productive afternoon. I can't believe we stay for six hours!! Several of us were able to try out the whole line, talk to Mel and Patrick, and throw out ideas. Mel and Patrick were very attentive to the ideas and questions that we posed. At times, they demo'd all different packs, pouches and showed us the new Claymore pouch. DOH!!! I didn't take a close-up of the pouch. In the first picture, you will see it mounted to the top of the Navigator (See "Line Up" third pack from the Right). Sorry, my bad! Mel, can you take a picture of the new claymore pouch?

Kifaru was kind enough to provide drinks, donuts, and chips. Thanks Kifaru staff for all your hospitality.

--Evans

The Line Up (L to R) EMR, Cargo Chair, MMR, Navigator in OD, Pointman in Tan, Marauder and Scout
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0026.jpg

Patrick Smith demoing the Cargo chair
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0028.jpg

http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0029.jpg

"No One is Left Behind"
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/DSCF0041.jpg

Patrick Smith showing the Combat Gunbearer on the Navigator
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0034.jpg

Reclining in the Field Chair
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0035.jpg

Another pair trying out the Cargo Hauler
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0037.jpg

The Guy in the Chair is 210 pounds!!!
http://hooverae.com/upload/files/Dscf0038.jpg

Evans
11-16-2003, 10:31 PM
*blush* I forgot.... and the Kifaru t-shirts. :rolleyes:

ibtrdia
11-16-2003, 11:35 PM
]Evans[

Thanks for the pictures bro.

Quite a good spread. Good to know that it's a family affair.

Patrick is a good host. http://future.boomspeed.com/nicolemiller/thumbs.gif

^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Water is life~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Duck of Death
11-17-2003, 04:04 AM
Wonderful pictures. Sorry I missed it.

Eagle6
11-17-2003, 07:50 AM
These photos are very, very painful to view. I really needed to be there! Talk about envy? What an incredible line-up of gear. I'm already wondering which pack I should purchase next, why did I buy a certain item in the color I bought, and why--35 years ago--was I stuck with humping poorly made gear through the rice paddies??? Sure could have used the cargo chair

Great job on the photos. Can't wait to get a better view of the new Claymore pouch.

Jan
11-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Who brought the RAID pack? That pack must've felt very inferior beneath all those other packs. Damn, what a lineup! Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3rd pack from the right with the new Malice Claymore pouch looks like a Pointman to me!

Mel
11-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Hi Jan, Patrick here on Mel's machine.

You are correct, that third-pack-from-the-right is indeed a Pointman, with a new Malice-attached Claymore Pouch on top. You have keen vision, Sir.

And you spotted the RAID pack we brought as an example of size for a new project Mel and I are developing. We also had other packs of that approximate size from Eagle and Tactical Tailor.

We are hanging out today sort of doing our "after action" debriefing, and fiddling mentally with all sorts of future gear ideas. Whilst doing this down at the beach this morning we had company--a seal (of the non-human variety) was sunning himself about 20 feet away. Mel lives in a very scenic part of the world.

militarymoron
11-17-2003, 10:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Jan:
Who brought the RAID pack? That pack must've felt very inferior beneath all those other packs. </div></div>what other packs? all i see is the RAID! the others must be invisible! (just kidding - mel knows what i'm referring to). :p
thanks for posting the pics, evans! looks like i missed a helluva good gear fest.
cheers,
MM

Evans
11-17-2003, 11:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are correct, that third-pack-from-the-right is indeed a Pointman, with a new Malice-attached Claymore Pouch on top. You have keen vision, Sir.
</div></div>Yes, it was the Pointman. Sorry, I was a bit tired when I got home suffering from Kirafu "overdose", and a long drive home. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

The seminar helped dispell some of my apprehensions. It was nice to compare the whole line side-by-side and "test-drive" them. Patrick and Mel's explaination of certain details to the packs (or pouches) helped me understand the logic behind the designs, and actually offered optional configurations that I never though about.

Thanks again.

--Evans

Evans
11-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Kirafu ParaHootch

http://hooverae.com/upload/files/hootch.jpg

Surprisingly larger than photos portray. It was easily hold 2 people and gear.

--Evans

Jan
11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Nice campsite!! :p

David
11-17-2003, 01:27 PM
some one buy that man a quad please
that is no place to bed down for the night
DAvid

Evans
11-17-2003, 01:51 PM
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Funny Story /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Patrick said that we should check the hootch just in case some hobo moved in. We, Californians, quickly corrected him. "We don't use the term hobo. They prefer the term 'homeless.'".

Has anyone gone to the militarymorons.com site today? MM posted in latest adventures to the desert. He featured the Hootch, Field chair, STRIKE Vest and some other cool gear. Nice pics, MM!

--Evans

sovereign
11-17-2003, 10:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel:
And you spotted the RAID pack we brought as an example of size for a new project Mel and I are developing. We also had other packs of that approximate size from Eagle and Tactical Tailor. </div></div>If the Marauder is a 2,000 cu. in. pack, the RAID is a 2,150 cu. in. pack, and an Eagle A-III pack is a 2,240 cu. in. pack, where will this new pack size project come in at? Somewhere in between the Marauder and Pointman in the lineup?

k0331b
11-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Truly a great pow-wow. Patrick is defintely a good host. Mel took the time to explain everything about the packs with me. Can't wait for my scout to arrive. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

eggroll
11-18-2003, 09:29 PM
keep in mind the USABLE volume of the pack.
the AIII comes in larger b/c it has an external pocket on top of the main compartment.

the raid while similar in height and width to the Marauder, is deep by about 2.5-3 inches, but this is taken out by the fact hat there are large mesh pockets on the interior side of the panel. leaving you with about enough usuable volume as the marauder.

volume will be approximate to the assault pack norm of 2000-2500CIs

It will be interesting to see what comes of this new design.

EGG

sovereign
11-19-2003, 07:09 AM
I completely agree with you Eggroll. I thought that the Marauder was THE 3-day assault pack offering from Kifaru. I was not trying to imply that the Marauder was failing in any respect regarding size, much less craftmanship, innovation, and carrying ability, etc. It was my understanding that the Marauder is already directly comparable to the AIII offerings from Eagle, TT, etc. I am confused as to where this project will be focused if the Marauder is already the same size as the RAID pack?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Originally posted by Mel(Patrick)
And you spotted the RAID pack we brought as an example of size for a new project Mel and I are developing. We also had other packs of that approximate size from Eagle and Tactical Tailor.</div></div>

cpt/en/ca
11-19-2003, 09:27 AM
Where did the pictures go?

Evans
11-19-2003, 10:49 AM
CPT/en/ca,

the pictures are still there. Anyone else having problems?

I also thought that the Marauder was the "3 Day pack" equivalent, too. But that is ~not~ the case. Kifaru is coming out with something that will fit the bill. On Monday, Mel and Patrick were suppose to be ironing out some details.

--Evans

cpt/en/ca
11-19-2003, 11:09 AM
I had to turn off my firewall /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

sovereign
11-19-2003, 01:03 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">originally posted by Evans:
I also thought that the Marauder was the "3 Day pack" equivalent, too. But that is ~not~ the case. Kifaru is coming out with something that will fit the bill. On Monday, Mel and Patrick were suppose to be ironing out some details.</div></div>So, do you think that the Kifaru equivalent to a RAID/AIII pack will be larger than the Marauder? Mel or Patrick care to chime in?
:rolleyes:

AbnMedOps
11-19-2003, 01:06 PM
I have a coyote Marauder on order..now I've got a case of buyer's remorse!

This new, slightly larger size is what I really wanted in a 3-day pack/patrol pack/bookbag/whatever. An extra 500-600 cubic inches in the main compartment would greatly increase the utility of the pack.
For volume comparison, I can (just barely) load a Wiggy's SuperLite FTRSS into an Eagle AIII (an old circa-1988, pre-camel hose model), but I don't think it will fit in many other 3-day packs.

Comparing the catalogs, the Tactical Tailor, London Bridge, BlackHawk, etc. offerings are all just a few inches smaller than Eagle, but these can be the last few critical inches that you need!

I encourage the mighty Kifaru to biggy-size the Maruader to directly compete with the Eagle AIII.
-AbnMedOps

Jan
11-19-2003, 01:15 PM
Even more choices??? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
Where will it end?? So many toys, so little money! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif :rolleyes:

Mel
11-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Hey guys, sorry it took so long to get back on the message board here. Patrick was out here for 5 days and we stayed pretty busy discussing new ideas and designs, and plotting our new product development program. I've been trying to play catch-up on e-mails, finalizing some designs, and working with Patrick and Maggie on a new ad layout.

It looks like there are some questions I need to answer. First off, I would like to thank everyone that came to the seminar. Patrick and myself had a great time hanging out with you all. Also, a special thanks to my good friend Chuck, and my wife, for all their help with the seminar. Let's not forget Evans, who made it possible for everyone to see the pics here. In case anyone is curious, I'm the old guy with the goatee, shorts, and boots in the pics.

OK, let's get to it. I will outline some items that we are working on. Some will be available sooner than others.

Kifaru T-Shirts:

These are available now in OD and Tan, and will soon be on the website. They are still working out the price.

Malice Clip Claymore Pocket:

We are taking orders now for the first production run. The price will be $38.00. I will be taking pics tomorrow and sending them to Evans to post here on the message board. The dimensions are the same as our current Claymore Pocket, except that the pocket mounts horizontally, with a horizontal zipper across the top. It comes with 2 compression straps that wrap from the bottom, over the top, and connect with 2 SR buckles. It will come with 4 Malice Clips for attachment. The fit is perfect on the top lid of a Pointman.

Auxillary Shoulder Sling:

This will be a wide, padded and contoured strap (exactly like the one on our duffels) with 1" webbing and Quick Attach SR buckles on the ends, for using our pockets as a shoulder bag. The price will be $14.00, and you should be able to order now for the first production run.

Now for some info on the new pack we are working on, and some comments on pack types and sizes. You hear titles like: 3-Day pack, assault pack, and patrol pack to describe most of the smaller packs. You could ask 3 guys for their definition of 3-Day pack, assault pack, and patrol pack, and probably get 3 different answers. The point here is that there is no "right answer" to this question, as everyone has their own view on what features make it a 3-Day pack, an assault pack, or a patrol pack. For an example, let's look at some Eagle packs. You have the A-III (3-Day pack), Becker (patrol pack), and the RAID (assault pack). They are all capable of carrying close to the same amount of gear, some easier than others. The companies selling these packs also have their views on types of packs, and describe their packs accordingly. With that said, let's talk about our packs and the new pack we're working on. We designed the Marauder as a low profile assault pack, and don't consider it a 3-Day pack. It has less capacity than the A-III or the RAID pack. Look at the sides of the Marauder. There are only 3 channels of PALS webbing vs 5 channels on the RAID. It was purposely designed to have a lower profile. The new pack will be larger than the Marauder, and smaller than the Pointman. It will have more capacity than the RAID or A-III. It will not be a biggy-size Marauder. Here's what I can tell you so far.

The pack will be called the "Zulu", and will be approx. 2500-2750 c.i.. Would that be called an "assault ruck"? It will be a totally modular top loader, with a floating top lid. There will NOT be any zippers on the pack. The top opening will be ample and close with a simple drawcord. The shoulder straps will be adjustable for torso length, and the pack will come with aluminum stays. It will not come with a waistbelt, but there will be a fully featured Omni style waistbelt with Delta Straps available as an option, not just a 2" webbing type belt. The goal is to bring this pack in under $200.00. Some other innovative features are being worked out, but rest assured that it will be simple, rugged, and up to the rigors of the Sandbox. The new Zulu will not replace or overshadow any of our current packs, it will just be another choice or tool for the "tool box". We build packs, and the more choices we can offer, the better, in my view. Well, this post tired me out, so maybe tomorrow I'll talk about our new Tailgunner Lumbar Series that will integrate with our new Zulu pack.

Mel

Mel
11-19-2003, 11:08 PM
I totally forgot about the E&amp;E Back Pouch. I'll talk about that tomorrow too.

Mel

ibtrdia
11-20-2003, 06:54 AM
]Mel[

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking forward to the Tailgunner Lumbar Series project as currently, there are very few tactical coloured lumbar pack.

I hope that there will be chest size info for the Kifaru T-shirt and not just S,M &amp; L and it's available most of the time. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Moloch38
11-20-2003, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the post Mel, great info and good to hear from you. Thanks for the e-mail. I'll be calling in when I get a sec to put in for one of those Malice claymores and the E&amp;E back pouch.
Definitely can't wait to hear more on the lumbar pack.

Footmobile
11-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Mel, Dan here, sorry I couldn't make it to the seminar. I would have really liked to have been there, looked like you guys had a great time. I had the Marine Corps ball on the night before the seminar in LA and I couldn't make it up to your neck of the woods in time. Looks like you guys have alot on your plate with new designs and that is great. I'll be in touch.

ibtrdia
11-26-2003, 07:17 PM
]Mel[

ETA on the new stuff and any pictures of the prototype so that we can put our order ASAP so that we'll get it in about > 2 months time. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

TIA.

Mark Hueser
01-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Does anyone know where to get a Tan Rubbermaid container that is in the first picture?

Thank You,

Mark Hueser
p7man@msn.com

MATCHGRADE
01-08-2004, 08:44 PM
can someone tell me what pack is on the table line up, third to the left from the scout in the new coyote color? Thanks.

AbnMedOps
01-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Mark, I think that container is a Thermos or Coleman brand plastic cooler chest.