PDA

View Full Version : MT rondy wish list

SLG
07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Just thought I get this started so no one misses an opportunity.

I'm really interested in just meeting some of you guys finally, but also seeing how people like to do things around camp.

Other than various shelters and stoves, I'd like to see your favorite hunting/rambling/do everything kinds of knives. I have too many knives, and am torn between the heavy end and the light end.

Also, I'm planning on bringing a variety of rifles (and maybe pistols) and some steel targets, so if there is anything in particular, let me know. I'll have a little ammo for anyone who wants to try anything out, but if you really want to shoot it, you'll have to bring your own ammo.

I'm sure I'll think of some other stuff I'd like to see as well.

Kyle
07-24-2010, 07:08 PM
SLG,
Please bring the following:

1. Kimber 84M
2. Kifaru Rambling Rifle
3. TAB Shooting mat
4. Any slings you are testing (or like)
5. Binos/Monos you like

I will bring some quality 308 for use in your guns and rocks to put in your Alice pack. You've seen my gunsafe, nothing too exciting there. Thanks.

SLG
07-24-2010, 07:56 PM
Kyle,

Will do. Definitely bring your 1022 sniper, and the TacSol MKII. Something came up, and I won't be there until later in the day on Friday, so save me a Supertarp space, will ya? BTW, how was the hot ground the other night? Get any sleep?

RDinMT
07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm bringin' my bow so if any of you are prepping for archery season pack your gear and we'll do some stump shooting. I can bring a big chunk of ethafoam target backing if anyone thinks we need it.

I also have a '03 Springfield scout ( 30.06) I'll stuff in the cruiser. I'll have some ammo but may not be enough for everyone so you might want to bring extra (factory only).

scothill
07-28-2010, 05:30 PM
if anyone has steel rated for 45/70, mine is not, I would love to shoot Old Pinecrickers Sharps again. I would also like to look at his little dirt bike.

SLG I would like to eyeball one of your rifles with flush fit sling swivels and get your impressions on them.

evanhill
07-28-2010, 05:54 PM
OPC, don't forget to bring a spare wheel gun (presumably your 38 and a quarter) so I can use it to pattern a holster for you.

SLG
07-28-2010, 08:16 PM
if anyone has steel rated for 45/70, mine is not, I would love to shoot Old Pinecrickers Sharps again. I would also like to look at his little dirt bike.

SLG I would like to eyeball one of your rifles with flush fit sling swivels and get your impressions on them.

My steel should be fine for 45/70. By flush fit swivels, do you mean Pachmayr hammerhead swivels (scout style), or more modern Uncle Mikes flush cups? I have the latter, no longer the former.

As far as ammo goes, are people willing to trade a little "shooting experience" ammo to try stuff out, or should I bring a few rounds of everything?

SLG
07-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm bringin' my bow so if any of you are prepping for archery season pack your gear and we'll do some stump shooting. I can bring a big chunk of ethafoam target backing if anyone thinks we need it.

I also have a '03 Springfield scout ( 30.06) I'll stuff in the cruiser. I'll have some ammo but may not be enough for everyone so you might want to bring extra (factory only).

I'd love to try your 03 out, but are you willing to do a little teaching as far as the bow stuff goes? I have an old recurve that was made for my wife, but I really don't know much about shooting them. It's a little heavy for her, and too light for me, so it kinda just sits around.

RDinMT
07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
SLG, I can do some "teaching", 'course it doesn't mean I know what the h$ll I'm talking about, but I can lay it on thick or thin, however you want it.:D

A light bow a is good way to get started. Helps with developing proper technique so bad habits don't set in. Bring arrows too ( I might have some lighter spined ones but no guarantees)

Scott, I have Pachmayrs on my 03 if that helps.

scothill
07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
I am planning on bringing spare ammo for whatever I bring so folks can try things out. I will think about throwing in the bow.

I would like to see both kinds of flush fit it you guys are both willing to bring your rifles. In the last day or two my design has gone a different route, but I still would like to see what is available and how it works.

If there is anything specific I have in the way of guns that folks would like to see let me know. At this point I am only planning on bring my practical rifle and a .22 as far as long guns.

half bubble
07-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Wish I could make it, but it is Mrs. Bubble's birthday, and we are going car camping with the homeschoolers.

Wish some of my new-found Rondy friends could, by proxy, convince Pinecricker that I would give his .358 Ruger Frontier a good home. (I would feed it and take it for long walks, I promise!)

oldpinecricker
07-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Scott wants to play with an Sharps buffalo gun in Montana, and we'll be located not too far away from the National Bison Range.

Can't help but keep thinking that the Hill Bros might be attempting to do a "stand" and provide us all with some buffalo burgers.

scothill
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
maybe a what happens at rondee stays at rondee rule should be instituted

evanhill
07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
I wonder how many times you can shoot a nice octagonal barreled Marlin before you have to piss down the barrel to cool it? I believe the longest stand I heard of was ~70 animals. That's a lot of buffalo burgers.

SLG
07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
OPC,

Too bad, but thanks for the quick reply.

Anyone else,

I have a 30" Sharps that I can bring if anyone wants.

Does anyone have a .358 Winchester and/or 350 rem mag? I'd love to try a couple of rounds...

scothill
07-29-2010, 09:22 PM
The more Sharps the better in my opinion. I will bring some 45/70

CCH
07-30-2010, 04:08 PM
maybe a what happens at rondee stays at rondee rule should be instituted

Yeah, but that would really suck for those of us who can't make it.

oldpinecricker
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Hey folks,

There's really not much I really want to see other than a good number of folks present. Guess that means that I'd like to see the Hill Bros again as I always enjoy being with them, and new faces I haven't met yet.

Anyway, I'm just posting to inform that I intend on bringing an large cooking pit that everyone can use to our location. It's an large cone crusher (rock crusher) liner that has hinged expanded metal on top of it so there is an large amount of surface area.

Also, we intend on showing early and if anyone is in need of shelter they are welcome to lag out in my 12 man.

There will be an Sharps 45-70 present, and Freedom Arms 38 1/2, and an old Smith .357

Come and have an good time and drive carefully on the way.

Reguards
OPC

snakey2
08-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Everyone be sure to bring ear plugs even if you aren't going to shoot. OPC cranks the decibels up at night.