PDA

View Full Version : Velcro Patch Wear and Tear

dlaot1
05-30-2010, 12:50 AM
Hey all,

I've had my G2 E&E and MOLLE Express for about a year now and I noticed that the velco patches on both packs has started to fray. Should I send the packs in to be repaired, or should I wait until they wear out more? On a related topic, is there anyone who can sew velcro onto packs/pouches on the forums? I'd like to add some onto the front of a TAD Gear OP1 I recently bought.

mountaintrek
05-30-2010, 02:10 AM
Hey all,

I've had my G2 E&E and MOLLE Express for about a year now and I noticed that the velco patches on both packs has started to fray. Should I send the packs in to be repaired, or should I wait until they wear out more? On a related topic, is there anyone who can sew velcro onto packs/pouches on the forums? I'd like to add some onto the front of a TAD Gear OP1 I recently bought.

Absolutely ! Fraying compromises the load bearing capacity of the pack !!

Biggerfoot1054
05-30-2010, 06:37 AM
It has been my experience that Velcro, is only good for so many pulls and then it starts fraying. Are you removing patches a lot? As far as sending the pack back, I wouldn’t if it was me. I would just find a good local source or do it myself.

testedone
05-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Absolutely ! Fraying compromises the load bearing capacity of the pack !!

I am thinking that this was tongue in cheek...I fail to see how fraying Velcro would effect the load bearing of the pack..

I wouldn't send it back, I would keep what patches I have on it and leave it, you must change patches a whole lot, even the Velcro on some of my 2+ year old uniforms don't have the Velcro frayed to the point I am replacing them and I take the patches off with each wash (warsh if your from the east)

DM6
05-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Perhaps hes talking about the edges of the velcro fabric. Those fray on my ACU's all the time and has nothing to do with putting on and taking off patches.

testedone
05-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Possibly..and I would agree...I don't want to detract from the OP's topic but I have to say I hate the Velcro uniforms...

Perhaps hes talking about the edges of the velcro fabric. Those fray on my ACU's all the time and has nothing to do with putting on and taking off patches.

mountaintrek
05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
I am thinking that this was tongue in cheek...I fail to see how fraying Velcro would effect the load bearing of the pack..

I wouldn't send it back, I would keep what patches I have on it and leave it, you must change patches a whole lot, even the Velcro on some of my 2+ year old uniforms don't have the Velcro frayed to the point I am replacing them and I take the patches off with each wash (warsh if your from the east)

It was tongue in cheek .
(Just spent the most miserable two weeks in Georgia (former USSR) with a walking commercial for Tad, Kifaru, MR , Maxpedition & Rolex gear... Velcro fraying was one of the topics I had the privilege to be educated about since I insisted the gentleman removes his collection of patriotic patches and flags while in the boonies. )

Testedone thank you for your service !

testedone
05-30-2010, 07:53 AM
It was tongue in cheek .
(Just spent the most miserable two weeks in Georgia (former USSR) with a walking commercial for Tad, Kifaru, MR , Maxpedition & Rolex gear... Velcro fraying was one of the topics I had the privilege to be educated about since I insisted the gentleman removes his collection of patriotic patches and flags while in the boonies. )

Testedone thank you for your service !

Now that sounds like a way to have fun...

dlaot1
05-30-2010, 01:51 PM
The wear and tear I was referring to wasn't the velcro itself, but rather the backing that the loop is attached onto. I took some pictures with my phone to elaborate:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_j8vcK-tnKiw/TALAka1SYHI/AAAAAAAAABI/4xIDbuGjzG8/s512/2010-05-30%2010.14.43.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_j8vcK-tnKiw/TALAR0cqg6I/AAAAAAAAABE/oC_SRdJiSbw/s640/2010-05-30%2010.15.11.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_j8vcK-tnKiw/TALBkP6C6sI/AAAAAAAAABc/yONftnBPWAc/s512/2010-05-30%2010.14.55.jpg

The fraying is the worst on the E&E, but it's starting to show on the MOLLE Express. I don't really know how the fraying started, as the life of an ROTC cadet isn't very exciting.

Ralph
05-30-2010, 03:04 PM
That minor fraying happens because the edge of the Velcro isn't bound or heat sealed. It probably won't get any worse than what you see. If this is really troubling you can spend a quiet evening with a needle and thread to hand sew a blanket stitch around the edges.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJht13Bcw-U

will show you how.

rhunter424
05-30-2010, 05:07 PM
I had a similar experience with my old organizer but it was just a small bit on the corner. I agree with the others saying if it's that big of a deal to just do it yourself, but I could see the Kifaru CS and standards being a good reason to send it back if you're not pressed for time.

Thommo
05-30-2010, 10:05 PM
I have several pieces of Kifaru equipment that the Velcro patches are separating from the cordura. I am not big into patches and it always seems to me that the Kifaru supplied Velcro patch is never the correct size for any of my patches or name tapes.

Once they start coming off I just finish the job and removed them completely. Too Easy (Thanks Kifaru for not double stitching on the Velcro patches).

:):):)

dlaot1
05-31-2010, 12:31 AM
The velcro patches don't see much use from me either. If anything, I would use them to add some reflective tape to help younger cadets find me for help more easily during night land navigation.

DM6
05-31-2010, 07:51 AM
No one has given you crap for using your Kifaru bag? I've been told that my CB Marauder is not regulation because of the color and the Kifaru tags. For the most part I bite my tongue and play the game but I told them the casualties I treated in Iraq didn't seem to give a **** about the color of my bag. They backed off.:confused:

dlaot1
05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
I think it all has to do with what kind of cadre you have at your school/battalion. Ours give us a little leeway on equipment, especially senior year, since Cadet Command has consistently stiffed us on issued equipment. Where do you go to school?

DM6
05-31-2010, 11:31 AM
It's not the cadre who care but the MSIV's. I understand that they're learning to be leaders and flex their leader muscle, and for that reason I usually bite my tongue, but...

dlaot1
05-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Oh, yeah. MS-IVs can be the worst, especially when a joint FTX comes around and they like to remind everyone that they got an "E" at LDAC. What year are you in?

DM6
05-31-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm a III, looking forward to getting this summer crap over with. You?

dlaot1
05-31-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Can't wait until LDAC is done with so I can finally stop hearing about it.

BuckarooMedic
06-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Send it back. The good folks at Kifaru will make it right. Looks like the sewer got a little too close to the edge of the velcro. Manufacturing defect if you ask me.

Chucker
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
If you're close to Bezerkely:

Narain's
1275 San Pablo Ave
(between Gilman St & Harrison St)
Berkeley, CA 94706

(510) 527-2509

Hours:
Mon 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Tue-Fri 9:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sat 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

The shop doesn't look like much but he can do tac nylon if you need it.