PDA

View Full Version : Montana rondy

oldpinecricker
05-24-2010, 07:41 PM
Being that there are a number of Montana folks on the board, I'm wondering why there isn't an Montana rondy? Is there much interest from the Montana folks?

In the past I've lived around St. Regis, Livingston, and Big Timber. Amazing state.

Ed T
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
We had one in 2005. It was a hoot. Just guess everyones been a bit busy to get it going since.

DEW
05-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Great Idea.... When and where.. DEW

oldpinecricker
05-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Great Idea.... When and where.. DEW

Good question! How about some suggestions?

SLG
05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
I'd love to have a MT rondy. But no shooting off a bench. Field positions only:-)

RDinMT
05-28-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm in.
EdT put on a great time a few years back, would be great to get together again.
So's who gonna be herd bull this time around??:D

oldpinecricker
05-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not committing to be in charge of anything, but I'm willing to team up with anyone to get something going if the interest is there. I'm near the extreme west side of the Montana border just in Idaho, but I can travel as far west as Bozeman area to help in setup or organization. It really depends on how much interest is generated.

SLG
05-28-2010, 05:59 PM
I'm all the way on the east side, but as long as I'm available for the date, I can travel anywhere. Families included in this?

redstarcluster
05-28-2010, 07:01 PM
well shoot man, are you still in big timber? i'm up the boulder river. which is where i strongly suggest we have a rondy, so i can show up to it.

the wilderness area here is great.

oldpinecricker
05-28-2010, 07:42 PM
well shoot man, are you still in big timber? i'm up the boulder river. which is where i strongly suggest we have a rondy, so i can show up to it.

the wilderness area here is great.

It is an beautiful area for sure. I used to work up the east Boulder at an underground mine some years ago.

Uncle Jake
05-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm no longer living in MT, but if I were, I would have loved to do a rondy! An area you guys might want to consider is the Tobacco Root Mtns. There are lots of places that a person can go shoot the breeze and some ammo. One problem though, is that it's a big state. From Alzada to Yaak is over a 1000 miles.

RDinMT
06-01-2010, 09:12 PM
So where would be a good place for a bunch tipis? Which side of the state would ya'll like to have it? East, West, central?

How about we keep this ball rolling....

SLG
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
East is better for me, but I'm flexible. Is this a family thing, or just us?

Wanderlustr
06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
RD do you have any spots you'd think would be good up your way? I would enjoy getting back to the stompin' grounds. But then again, can't think of to many spots in MT I don't enjoy.;)

evanhill
06-02-2010, 11:36 AM
If you guys get this together, I'll see about coming out myself. I'd like to meet y'all in person.

The way we've gotten the ball rolling for these kinds of get togethers out here is to compare dates and get some folks to commit to a specific weekend. Then you choose a spot based on access for the folks who have committed to that date. Everybody else can either come or not based on date/location. Whatever you do, don't waffle on dates once you've got them set.

SLG, as far as I know all Rondys are considered family friendly. There might be some heavier carousing after the kids are in bed, but that's about it.

SuperBadger
06-02-2010, 10:45 PM
I've only been through Montana once, but would like to go again. I wonder if it would be cheaper to fly than drive from Oregon?

RWS
06-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I brought up the subject a couple of years ago but it lost steam. I'm stuck working weekends but may be able to play hookie one day. let's keep talking, west side to middle would work best for me. A couple of times while in Missoula I would get a response about my Kifaru hat so I know there are people out there.

oldpinecricker
06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Well,

How about some dates.

RDinMT
06-03-2010, 08:48 PM
How about looking at a weekend in July. That'll give us a month to figure out where in Big Sky country we want to do it.

Wanderlustr, I could find some place around the north west corner of the state if the rest are interested. Maybe we should do an impromptu head count to see where every one is at who wants to partake in the rondy, possibly have the highest concentration get priority over location. Or we just pick a spot and if you snooze you lose.

We might also want to decide on mode of transport to and from the location as well. Hike in only, hike and bike, or motor vehicle access will help us close in on where to set up. Also I think we should keep it family friendly, my kids will want go and others may also.

SLG
06-03-2010, 10:01 PM
How about the 7/31, 8/1 weekend, or 8/7, 8/8 weekend?

R.M.T
06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
7/31 and 8/1 or the 8/7 and 8/8 both work for me. :) Lets not go any later in the Summer to avoid any bad weather or snow for that matter. This sounds like this is going to be a lot of fun. 8/14 and 8/15 will not for me.

R.M.T

oldpinecricker
06-04-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty much good for anytime in July.

RDinMT
06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Looks good for me too.

SLG
06-04-2010, 10:43 PM
So...should we say 7/31 is the weekend of choice? Where will it be? Car access, or ruck in? Sat. and Sunday, or Fri, Sat, Sun?

oldpinecricker
06-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Alright, let's say the 7/31 weekend.

How about suggestions for an location?

What kind of location is desired?

Do we want to drive up? Walk or perhaps bike in?

scothill
06-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Just something I will throw out there. That is the weekend after the PNW rondee. For those of us that are going to try to hit both, a week spacer in there might be nice. Either way I a going to try to work it into my schedule.

Lab-Roamer
06-05-2010, 07:48 AM
It's a really, really, really long shot, but depending on what part of Montana it is in, maybe some of us MN boys can make it. I would like to check out the tipi's in person.

oldpinecricker
06-05-2010, 05:43 PM
If the weekend of 7/31 causes an conflict than let's consider another date like the week before or the weekend after.

We need an time set up concretely so locations and such can be picked out.

Let's nail this down, and give your input for an date-commitment-location.

Montanapete1
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I'd keep it in the middle of the state to make easier for those from eastern and western montana to attend.

oldpinecricker
06-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Indeed, centering something about in the middle of the state really makes a lot of sense and makes it fair, no doubt. How about an location idea?

Before anything though we really need to nail down the date on this. Some guys from the NW would like to attend and the weekend of 7/31 is the weekend of the NW Rondy. That said, is there an acceptable alternative date? What are your schedules?

The more imput and participation here the better chance we can cement something and make this an reality.

Bushcraft
06-06-2010, 01:04 AM
The dates of the NW Rondy are July 22-25.

SLG
06-06-2010, 05:51 AM
8/7 weekend works for me as well as 7/31 does. Center of the state is pretty nice too!

112Papa
06-08-2010, 10:00 PM
112Papa is good to go for either weekend that has been suggested.

Also, have the attributes of the ideal location been firmed up, function-wise?
i.e range that works for rifles at 100yds?
Drive in?
Walk in? How far?
Bike in? How far?
Clear water on site?
Isolated? How isolated?
Deal makers?
Deal breakers?

I am good with any/all options, anywhere in the state.

What say y'all?

Thank you,

112Papa

oldpinecricker
06-09-2010, 10:23 PM
The Boulder River area has been suggested. I'm familiar with this area as well as the Crazy Mountains across the valley and Yellowstone River.

Here is an page with some locations of areas up the Boulder valley in the Tooth mountains.

http://www.sweetgrasscounty.com/recreation/fishing_alpine_lakes.htm

Would an location (hike in) be alright for most folks?

redstarcluster
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm still all for the Boulder, hiking especially.

scothill
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Guys, I just got word that the summer maybe very busy work wise and if I have a hope of making this I need to get it on the calendar now. Is the date confirmed? Location narrowed down so I can figure travel time?

I hate to push, but is anyone willing to step up and make this happen?

Wanderlustr
06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Not sure what my summer holds as far as a schedule for me this summer. Right now I am slammed with work. But up the Boulder area sure sounds nice and I would like to make it if time allows. Dates?;)

oldpinecricker
06-14-2010, 08:44 PM
To those interested,

I am good for ANY time in July-August and any location. I think the best time for most folks is going to be the weekend of 7/31 or the weekend of 8/7. That seems to work the best for most folks.

SOOOO. Choose one of those weekends and we'll plan on setting that in stone!

As far as location, the Boulder River area has been mentioned/suggested. I would also consider the Crazy Mtns across the valley as another location that is suitable. These locations are closest to Big Timber, Montana.

There are some really nice hike-in locations here and there are some really nice lakes and scenery.

Let's choose the date (weekend of 7/31 or weekend of 8/7) and set it in stone.

snakey2
06-15-2010, 09:37 AM
What is this set in stone stuff. Oldpinecricker you are a hard rock miner, nothing set in stone you can't dismantle.

scothill
06-15-2010, 10:21 AM
8/7 going once, going twice...any objections?

oldpinecricker
06-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Sounds good to me!

Anyone else object?

If not let's blast off this weekend of 8/7 as our date.

scothill
06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Sold

8/7 it is. Now someone in MT pick a spot

redstarcluster
06-17-2010, 06:07 PM
8/7 sounds great. i'm about 25 miles up the boulder right now, and can help describe trails and spots if you all decide to do it here. i'm not sure if i can do the crazies, but i can sure try.

oldpinecricker
06-18-2010, 12:19 AM
It appears that 8/7 is an favorable date and one to set in STONE-

Now let's pick a location.

We've mentioned the Boulder (there is the East, Main, and West forks) and the Crazy Mtns. Both these locations are in the Big Timber area.

ALRIGHT MONTANA FOLKS!

GET ON YOUR KEYBOARDS AND LETS GET AN LOCATION PICKED OUT THAT WORKS FOR EVERYONE!

Let's hear your suggestions and get this into the realm of reality. Hopefully we can land some folks from other states as well.

R.M.T
06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
things to take into consideration:

a place to shoot (optional)/shooter friendly area

a place that can stage several tipis and tents so that would mean a meadow of in the plains

hike, bike or drive?

these things should all be factored into the location of choice.

my vote is for the middle of the state for drive in how about north of big timber and south of harlowton. for walking in I wouldn't mind the boulder just as long as there is plenty of space and is shooter friendly. If we want it to be a family friendly it would be best to keep the hike relatively short 1-3mile if possible. we would want water right? I'm good with where ever these are just a few thing to think about before we make are decision. I'm good for that date by the way.

SLG
06-18-2010, 11:08 PM
I'm good for the date, but don't know enough about the middle of the state to make any suggestions for a site. Spent the past week in Missoula, and the drive from Missoula to Great Falls on 200 had a lot of nice country.

Montanapete1
06-19-2010, 06:01 PM
SLG,

The area around Condon would be great! Alot of FS land to use! And the Bob is just a short walk in.

SLG
06-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Obviously, I'm sure we would all like the site to be closer to home than not, but if the Condon area has what we need, then it sounds good to me. Are we looking at arriving late on Friday, and then leaving on Sunday, or what?

112Papa
06-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I am good to go with the proposed dates. Very open to which ever location is selected, by whom ever is doing the selection.

I look forward to the event.

Please let me know if I can share in any support functions.

Regards, and thank you all for making this happen.

112Papa

Russ-T
06-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Looking at the map interstate 15 and 90 cross at Butte. That would be a good central location for most of the major cities. But of course I don't know of any good area's around Butte...If I can make it I will be at the rondy regardless of where it's at. (Might even bring the big .50 if it's not to far of a hike :-) B.Y.O.A. My wife has a big horse show around that time so Iím not sure if I can make it though. Wherever we pick it would be nice to send a scout to check it out and get some G.P.S. numbers. Let's not let this one "Fizzle Out" again!!!!

RDinMT
06-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm good for those dates so far.

Lets keep the ball rolling.

If the Boulder area doesn't work out we should have contingency for backup.

I'm sure those of us in the Flathead could come up with something around here but that would mean serious travel time for some.

Any more suggestions?

oldpinecricker
06-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Indeed we need some more suggestions and interest for sure.

I'm thinking that an drive up location is probably optimum as we can have folks with families traveling and let's face it, that is a bit of work preparing kids and gettin' everything ready. We have to consider that.

So something on the east side of the Rocky mtn front in Montana would be best.

I plan on having an 12 man up for folks to hang out in if needed, and if you don't have an shelter I can bring an extra.

Let the suggestions fly. Lets hear your input about locations and keep an high level of interest going.

The more interest, the more suggestion for an location, the more this is an reality.

scothill
06-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Frankly someone in MT needs to take ownership and say this is the spot. Central MT has worked for everyone who has responded so far. So someone pick a spot in Central MT already.

These things happen because someone says this is when and this is where and people can then plan on that.

Ed T
06-23-2010, 08:28 AM
The site we had the 2005 Rondy at, east of Lincoln was a good location.

No place to shoot right at the camp site, but shooting could be done further up the valley.

I agree with Scott, someone needs to ramrod this for it to happen. I would again but have way too many irons in the fire right now.

Ed T

Russ-T
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
If it worked last time why not again! My vote is for the 2005 location East of Lincoln. Are there any objections to that spot? Ed T, can you give any more info on the spot like exact location? Thanks Ed!

Ed T
06-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Rusty,

I can give exact directions to the site. It would be best if like the other rendezvous, if its done by PM rather than on an open forum.

Anyone else up for this location?

RDinMT
06-29-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm all for it.

A beautiful place to have a get together with easy access and still close to some wild country.

Lets get some numbers of who all is going.

I'll have four in my group.

scothill
06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
2-7 depending on things.

Russ-T
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Probably 2 but possibly a couple more. We'll call it 2 for now though.

oldpinecricker
06-29-2010, 05:11 PM
I'll have 2 and possibly more.

Steelworker
06-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Possibly 1.

SLG
06-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Maybe 3, but probably just 1.

Kyle
06-30-2010, 09:54 PM
I think I might be able to make this location. Put me down for 1.

Ed T
06-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I will send directions to those interested the 1st part of next week. Send me a PM next week for them.

We are talking about Friday August 6th 30th thru Sunday August 8th. Families & sociable dogs welcome. I will talk with Patrick as soon as he get back form his ramble with Sawtooth about getting a 16 or 24 man tipi for the Rondy.

My plan is to be there Friday AM to get the big tipi pitched.

Ed T

Wade R
07-01-2010, 05:03 AM
count me in for 1

Ed T
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
I was reminded by oldpinecricker that the agreeded upon dates were Friday August 6th through Sunday August 8th. I have edited my post above to correct this.

Ed T

berntboater
07-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I'd love to attend but I picked up a cancellation permit for the Middle Fork of the Salmon River over that weekend.

oldpinecricker
07-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I'd love to attend but I picked up a cancellation permit for the Middle Fork of the Salmon River over that weekend.

Why you going to Idaho of all places?

There aren't any rivers there, and it's all flat country planted with potatoes.

Besides, the Salmon is just an irrigation ditch, and I hear it there's a good number of gators in it these days

Good luck!