PDA

View Full Version : Co Rondy Wish List

ozarkrambler
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
We usually have one of these threads every year prior to the get together, so I thought I'd get it going.

I'd really like to see one of the new Kimber long action 30-06's. For some reason I've got an itch on for one of those, and after shooting some 165gr x bullets out of my 300WSM tonight that were moving in the neighborhood of 3200fps, the itch got a bit stronger. Ouch!

Anyway, if anyone has one I'd sure like to see it. If not a long action, any of the Kimbers would be fine. CCH, here is another reason for you to show up, a Montana in 308 is on my list of things I'd like to handle.

I'm really looking forward to another weekend of firearms, and equipment show and tell.

Ozark

CCH
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
My Kimber is available even if I'm not, but I'll sorely miss the duck if things don't work out for me. Rest assured that I can get the Montana up if you want to give it a shot or two. BYOA :D

rayporter
04-26-2010, 08:16 AM
BYOA---

i sure wish i could do just that. --- someday

Otoejet
04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
So long as I can see the the Koala in action, I'll be happy.

colohunter303
04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Sadly I dont know if i will be making it this year. The family is going on a week long scouting trip to check out a couple of new areas we are intending on hunting this fall. We'll see though. no plans are completely ironed out yet but we'll see.

Cleve
04-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Like colohunter303 my main wish for the Rondy is that I'll figure out a way to make it. That week/weekend is already over full of work and church obligations. Might make it up Thursday overnight, but that looks to be about it. I am confident y'all will have a grand time.

Jon S
04-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I am hoping/planning to make it as well. Got some stump shooting to do and some rifles that need shootin'. Cleve, if you only make it up Thursday night, that will be sad, especially since you won't be there to eat all the burritos you brought up on Sat morning with the rest of us.
Just let me know which cooler they are in and I will make sure they are cooked properly. I will even bring your cooler back down to you if needed to make sure they stay cold until my arrival on Friday night.
Looking forward to seeing folks again and getting the hang of the recurve I recently scored.

Cleve
04-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Wow Jon, that's big of you! Must be why they call you Big Jon.
Have to see what I can do about some breakfast burritos. No promises though.

Jon S
04-26-2010, 07:52 PM
I thought it was my 'broad acrost the shoulders," but I am just trying to be nice to everyone else. I look forward to good times and a few shots of good whiskey.
Will probably make it up Friday night, if folks need stuff shuttled up there, give a holler, I know CCH and some others were lamenting that they couldn't come but their stuff would be available.
CCH, I could put your Kimber next to her little sister, my .260 and they could be one lightweight family.

Randy
04-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Well I gotta put in a vote for that top-secret twisty bacon from Wyoming! As well as that Ozark duck that makes one want to take up waterfowling:)

Any opportunity to try a new firearm is always welcome if folks are willing to share a few rounds. I'll be toting a CZ527 in .223, a Henry octagon barrel .22 LR just for plinking the little steel targets and a Sig 225 in 9mm.

I'd love to sample the optics folks are using. I'll be about 10 weeks at Rondy time since Lasik and it's time to check out some glass without glasses. Binocs and spotters welcome:)

That cool Dakota 7x57 is a real treat...if only to gaze at. I'm toying with a 45-70 'cowboy' rifle. You know, long octagon barrel, nice wood, etc. Not looking for a hot-rodded guide gun that will dislocate my shoulder, just a nice classic lever gun if anyone has one. Also, gotta see that new Timberline 7x57.

Anyone got Freedom Arms revolvers? I've only had the good fortune to fire one 454. Any caliber welcome and your first-hand reports on the goods and the bads.

Just looking forward to the great food, fellowship, Colorado high country and being part of a great gathering of folks. See you all in a few weeks.

Bushcraft
04-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I’ll second the Twisted Bacon Crack, the bacon wrapped marinated duck delicacy, the bacon wrapped roast. Basically, anything wrapped in bacon will do.

I'd like to see what this stump shooting thing is all about, preferably with a trad bow of some sort, and some guidance on the good and proper use of said stick flinger.

Does anyone have a Cooper Custom Classic Model 54 chambered in .308 (or any caliber for that matter) they'd like to bring to show-and-tell? Mercy... http://www.cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=cc&cal=308 M54

I'm certain that whatever Singleshot pulls out of his magic truckload of firearms will keep me enraptured for a goodly portion of the time.

I'm planning on bringing two or three rifles and perhaps a few pistolas with conversion kits. I'm waiting on a fancy smancy after-market trigger for a Glock. We'll see if it arrives in time to do some side by side testing/review. My Swaro spotter will be part of my carry-on. We'll see what the luggage ends up weighing all told.

How’s about one of those newish rods from Sage (so long as we can either find a grassy place for casting so as not to ruin the line)? I’d like to see what that action is all about.

Knives from Dozier, Bark River, anything custom, etc.

Hmmm…what else…ah yes…camp chair, cooler, cooperative weather…and camaraderie (but that’s a given).

Sawtooth
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Does anyone have an atlatl and darts??? How about itty bitty Glocks? I have a feeling that there will be some marsupials wandering around for tryouts. I know mine will.

Jon S
04-27-2010, 09:46 PM
I will bring my Kahr PM9, it is smaller than the Glocks, but I like it more than the Glocks. It can gladly wander around in your pouch for awhile.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-28-2010, 08:34 AM
I'll bring my big daddy glock if anyone wants to fire some 10mm.

Oh, I'll make sure some twisted bacon crack makes it up the hill too. ;)

Timberline
04-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I am publically volunteering to help (cooking and eating!) with the Ozark Duck Thingies. Makes my mouth water just thinking about them, and I hear Dan and the boys were pretty hard on the waterfowl population last fall in preparation for this event.

It’s early, but at this point I’m thinking that the following rifles need some range time: Winchester M70 Featherweight in 7x57, Winchester 1886 Deluxe TD in 45-70, Kimber Classic Varmint in .22 LR. Other possible candidates include something in .22-250, .300 Savage and/or .280 Remington.

Is anyone interested in trying a custom Rifles Inc. Lightweight Strata in .270 Winchester that tips the scales at a nifty 5 lbs. 14 oz. with Talley Lightweights and Leupold 2.5-8 scope?

In handguns, my new Browning Buck Mark Lite 7.5 is itching to get at Singleshot’s mini steel targets.

I’d love to try Big Jon’s slim-is-cool Kahr, Scoutin’ Wyo’s 10mm grizzly Glock, Randy’s CZ 527 and definitely Cleve’s famous Absentee Breakfast Burritos.

Anyone have a Dakota M10, an old Winchester 101 Field 20 gauge, a BladeTech Pro-Hunter Knife, an interesting .25-06 or a Ruger Bisley handgun?

Oh, and Smokepole is welcome to try my camo Crocs. :)

ozarkrambler
04-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Timberline, any chance you could bring your 375 HH?? I've always wanted to fire one of those. 2-3 shells will probably be plenty if it's reputation is anything to go by. I figure I'll have my eyes closed and a huge flinch on the first shot, then I might be able to hold and squeeze for two more. After that I'll know all I'd ever need to know about it's future in my vault.

Also the Rifles Inc 270 would be something I would be very interested in looking at.

Will anybody be bringing a chrony along?

Thanks

Timberline
04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Timberline, any chance you could bring your 375 HH?

Sure, I'll bring my Dakota 76 Safari in .375 H&H. At 9 pounds with scope it’s a pussycat to shoot. Squint just right and you’ll see Cape Buffalo in the aspens. Or I could bring my Brown Bear rig – a Remington 700 Alaskan Wilderness Rifle in .375 H&H. Scoped it’s just a shade over 8 pounds. It carries and shoots like a dream on the tundra, although it’s bark is a wee bit above a maiden’s caress.

Bushcraft
04-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Yes.

And Yes.

Randy
04-28-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd love to see that Dakota 375...

I'll have 150 rounds of 223 for the CZ along with me. Feel free to run whatever you want thru the rifle. It seems to like 50-55 gr bullets best.

Scoutin' Wyo
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I will also be bringing a pile of Wyoming BLM maps for anyone that is pondering an upcoming hunt in my great state. Free for the viewing, but not for the taking (I needs em fur werk).

Also, anyone interested in a book swap? I have several that I have read over 6 times a piece that I would be looking to trade.

Smokepole
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I'd like to look over them thar maps, and discuss a possible pronghorn hunt. Want to get a doe tag.

P_R
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Also, anyone interested in a book swap? I have several that I have read over 6 times a piece that I would be looking to trade.

Yeah, a book swap sounds good.

singleshot
04-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I'd like to take a look at Timberline's brown bear skin. Since he spent a night with my .300 Savage last year, I'd like to sleep a night on his bear skin this year.

Timberline
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
I'd like to take a look at Timberline's brown bear skin. Since he spent a night with my .300 Savage last year, I'd like to sleep a night on his bear skin this year.

Great idea. But the darn thing is still at the taxidermist. I do have a rather nifty swizzle stick from that hunt that I could use to mix up a drink for you at the Rendezvous. Bring a tall glass!

Might you have any other old rifle treasures you can pull out of your van to wow me with again this year? Maybe an old English Sporting Rifle built on a Mauser action? Or pre-64 M70 stocked by Al Biesen!

Let me know on that swizzle stick.

singleshot
04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
I think I understand where the swizzle stick came from. Too bad I don't drink mixed drinks.
Maybe we could grill the bacon on it.

I do have a 1962 Mossberg single shot .22 magnum. When I was a kid, I used it to hunt woodchucks on my grandpa's upstate New York dairy farm. I don't think you could find one in the fine gun room of a good gun shop.

gdw042
04-29-2010, 09:02 PM
I will be bringing my custom AR-15 from JP Enterprises with a TA-11 ACOG on it. I've shot it out to 400 yards and am itching to try it on the 600 yard gong with my 69g handloads.

Xander will be bringing his Henry single shot .22.

I will also have a couple of Glocks (22 & 23) a J Frame, and I might even bust out my old Mossberg .308 and actually test the loads I made for it.

I am all for a mini-3-gun match!!

GDW

P_R
04-30-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm kind of hankering to pick up a Winston or a Tom Morgan Troutrods fly rod partly because I really like this (http://www.forbes.com/forbes-life-magazine/2008/1208/120.html)story. If anyone has a TMF model or maybe a 7'6" #4 b2t, then I'd sure like to make a few casts with it. Or if someone has a troutrods fiberglass, then I'd love to give it a go.

Smokepole
05-01-2010, 07:03 AM
I think I understand where the swizzle stick came from.

?? Do tell.

Cleve
05-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I will also be bringing a pile of Wyoming BLM maps for anyone that is pondering an upcoming hunt in my great state. Free for the viewing, but not for the taking (I needs em fur werk.

I'd sure like to be in on that session. But not likely. Will count on Big Jon to gather the data. When does Wyo post the draw results?

Scoutin' Wyo
05-02-2010, 10:28 AM
i'd sure like to be in on that session. But not likely. Will count on big jon to gather the data. When does wyo post the draw results?

06/30/2010

ozarkrambler
05-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Kevin, any chance you could throw in your rifle with the Slogan Outdoor Sling on it? I'd kind of like to play around with one before I ordered one. I'm hoping that it will take the place of installing a center sling swivel stud for Ching Sling use.

Was anyone going to bring a Chronograph? I've been working with RL 17 quite a bit lately in my 300WSM and 338-06AI and would really like to see what the vel. increase is. By the feel of the additional recoil, I'm thinking it may definitely be a useful amount.

Thanks

gdw042
05-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I can bring my Chronograph.
GDW

Kmassaro
05-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Ozark, not a problem. I need to sort out ammo pretty quick. 270 ammo is a problem, because IMR 4831 has been hard to find. And 300 WSM ammo is cracking $60 per box...$3/shot. Good thing I only shoot it once. I'd hate to think an elk cost me $6-9 to shoot. :)

But I'll have the sling, and a couple of things to shoot. Got to sight in the 243 at the very least.

gonehuntn
05-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Report from the field...We went up today and cut a little wood for the Rondi. I hid it back in the trees so hopefully no one will find it. (There were a few folks camping in the area.) To our surprise Patrick was there with some of his family. It was good to visit with him for a bit. We did a little turkey hunting then cut some firewood. It's nice up there, no snow. It was a little windy and according to Patrick pretty cool at night so bring your woobies! There were lots of dead aspen trees around if we need more wood. I suspect we will! I plan on bringing my chain saw if we need to cut more.

Jon S, notice I said chain saw, NOT hand saw!

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=310

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=309

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=308

Sawtooth
05-10-2010, 11:33 AM
If anyone attending the rondy has a Tenkara fly rod, please bring it!!! I'd sure like to see one!

Smokepole
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I've got the eightkara and ninekara, but the tenkara was just too expensive.

Sawtooth
05-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Then I need about a threekara. :D

Mark
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Sawtooth,

I will bring mine.

Mark

Sawtooth
05-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Does anyone have a Remington Model 7 stainless, caliber is immaterial, that they can bring?

Mark
05-14-2010, 01:50 PM
I have a Model 7 Youth in .260 Rem. It is blue though. Should I bring it?

Sawtooth
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Sure! Thanks!

Bushcraft
05-14-2010, 08:48 PM
If anyone is interested in what a good aftermarket Glock trigger feels like, I could throw one into the mix.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-14-2010, 09:01 PM
If anyone is interested in what a good aftermarket Glock trigger feels like, I could throw one into the mix.

Yes please.

Sawtooth
05-14-2010, 09:38 PM
Bring it! We can never have too many firearms at the Rondy!

30mike06
05-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Smokepole-hope you can make it Thurs, I am taking my TC Triumph-did not shoot it last year-need to check/work up a load for it.
MIke

Kmassaro
05-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I likewise will want to see a good Glock aftermarket trigger. My NY trigger on the G19 leaves quite a bit to be desired.

If anyone would like to handle a H&K USP Compact in 9mm, I can accommodate.

Herb
05-15-2010, 06:09 PM
Will anyone have a Model 94 there, I'd like to try a lever action.

I'll have a Trangia cook kit along, got a bunch of pork seasoned and going in the smoker on Monday a.m.. Should have extra ribeyes for the Wed. evening crowd. Few goats making the trip, mostly 3 year olds, but a couple full size models too. Bringing a propane smoker/grill and some other full coolers.

Looking forward to it, all plans are to leave around 0600 Wednesday.

Smokepole
05-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Smokepole-hope you can make it Thurs, I am taking my TC Triumph-did not shoot it last year-need to check/work up a load for it.
MIke

30Mike, what do you have for bullets? You want me to bring some 348 Powerbelts? How about powder?

30mike06
05-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Herb-I will have my Marlin 336C in 35 Rem, very fun to shoot.
Smokepole-I have both powerbelt 348 and TC 370 maxiballs-I was going back and forth on those a couple of years ago-would like to get that figured out. For powder I have some triple 7. Are you still using the 209? I am thinking back to your posts on the 24 hr campfire. If so I would like to give that a try.
MIke

Smokepole
05-16-2010, 07:52 AM
Sure, I'll bring some 209, and some of the Hornady FPBs for you to try too.

Randy
05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Kevin,

I'd like to check out the compact USP. I have a full-size 40, but never really handled the compact version.

Patrick
05-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Hello men,

I'm thinking of bringing some firearms to the Rondy that I've concluded I just don't have a use for. Sometimes companies want some of my gear, and we wind up loosely trading gear-for-gear. Ergo, I have some dandy items from Thompson/Center...items I thought I'd like to try at the time but have never got around to; and probably never will!

Here's what I have:

--NIB G2 Contender Carbine with these barrels: 204 Ruger, .17 HMR, and .17 Mach 2.

--T/C .17 Mach 2 semi-auto. This has actually been sited in, so it's not entirely NIB. It's a lovely and very accurate little rifle...T/C did good. I also have an extra, larger capacity clip for it.

I'm open to trade, or even cash...but would prefer trading for something that would delight me. Items that come to mind:

--Glock 19
--Lightweight rifle in .300 WSM
--Lightweight rifle in .260 Rem.
--Scopes
--Other handguns/rifles...surprise me!!

So. I figure my fellow Rendezvouers will actually get to see and play with these items, so I should present them here first. Anybody interested? Want to tell me here what YOU have to trade, if you are?

CCH
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Need to set up a trading blanket.

Bushcraft
05-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Wasn't that par for the course in rondezvi of old?

Along those lines, how about a hunting/shooting game or two like the old timers used to do when they came down from the hills? I'm sure we could come up with an entertaining course of fire that mimic's typical field hunting conditions/ranges. Ramblin' rifle/pistol/shotgun/bow. Double or singe round robin elemination. Emphasis on having fun. Anybody have an automatic clay pidgeon thrower?

CCH
05-16-2010, 08:52 PM
Wasn't that par for the course in rondezvi of old?

Yes it was. But a lot of things were par for the course in the days of old that probably won't be going on at the Kifaru one. ;)

Huntsman22
05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
So, does that mean nobody is going to share their squaws with the rest of us?....

Patrick
05-16-2010, 09:30 PM
The Rendezvouers R Us. We can do whatever pleases. Scatter the steel and run a "course"...sounds grand. Reminds me of the Keneyathlon I "ran" (pretty literally) down at Whitington years ago. Great fun. And challenging...duplicating many an elk kill wherein I had to hustle to get on the prey. It's a Rambling Hunter thing for sure.

And, have woobie, will spread it and lay out my wares. Maybe I'll think of other stuff.

Wagh!

Huntsman22
05-16-2010, 09:30 PM
rondezvi

Rondezvi? Now yer starting to sound like me...........Guess I'll have to call 'em rondy-vooses now, or is that rondy-veeses?.....

Timberline
05-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm sure we could come up with an entertaining course of fire that mimic's typical field hunting conditions/ranges. Ramblin' rifle/pistol/shotgun/bow. Double or single round robin elimination. Emphasis on having fun.

Interesting. What did you have in mind?

For a bit of rifle competition, Huntsman22 and I have actually hauled in rocks before and we've had some lively field shootoffs at dawn by shooting at those piled rocks. Singleshot's steel targets also invite testing oneself and others.

Unfortunately, ammunition could be a limiting factor. One way to overcome that, if need be, is to maybe focus on .22 LR competition. Just a thought.

Bill

Timberline
05-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Does anyone happen to have and could bring a rifle in .257 Roberts? Maybe a wee bit of ammunition for a few test shots. The older and more classic the better. Anyone?

Huntsman22
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, ammunition could be a limiting factor. One way to overcome that, if need be, is to maybe focus on .22 LR competition. Just a thought.
Bill

Here is a hint to the uninitiated..........If you could see ol' Timberline utter those words, instead of typing them, then you'd know that he was tossing some bait. unless he had his patented poker-face on..... Take my advice. DON'T shoot yer 22 against Timberline. He'll just kick yer azz, AND take yer money. As he's kicked and taken mine, MORE than once......

Jon S
05-16-2010, 10:14 PM
I will not toss a gauntlet at Timberline, ever! Be it rimfire, centerfire, stick bow, wheelie bow, whatever, never will the gauntlet leave my hand.
Don, I will share Minda with you, only to watch you call her a squaw, then see how fast she knocks the ---- out of you. She is pretty mild mannered, but doesn't seem to understand the respect meant by that word, only the derogatory connotation, hence the flying arms and legs in a pattern only I have seen. My arms are long enough to defend myself, but you are a little shorter, so be careful :) besides now you are older, she might hurt you.

Huntsman22
05-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Can't be any worse than the last one I called a squaw........ Can it?

Timberline
05-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Take my advice. DON'T shoot yer 22 against Timberline. He'll just kick yer azz, AND take yer money. As he's kicked and taken mine, MORE than once......

Don ol' buddy, where's you sense of adventure? Leave your purse at home, bring a brick of .22 shells and we'll have at it again. :D

Besides, you still need to teach me how to shoot better with sitting sticks. I learn whenever I shoot with you.

Huntsman22
05-17-2010, 07:50 AM
Oh, alright.... I'll bring a brick or three. I'm a sucker for punishment.......

Herb
05-17-2010, 08:08 AM
Cowdr is lending his .257 Roberts and and some ammo.

Scoutin' Wyo
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I’m in for a fun shooting tournament.

Stage 1: Run/jog to the rifle shooting station and fire one shot from your centerfire rifle.
Stage 2: Run/jog to the pistol shooting station and fire one shot from your centerfire pistol.
Stage 3: Run/Jog to either the archery shooting station or .22lr shooting station and take one shot.

All shots should be taken ASAP to be comparable to shooting alert game. If you take too long sighting in or readying your weapon you will be hazed by your peers. All shots will be on steel or paper plates, sudden death elimination style (you miss a plate you’re out). Winner gets to sit in Patrick’s (assuming he plays along) chair during the evening festivities in the big tipi.

Of course it’s not meant to be taken seriously, but a little braggin’ rights and practice shooting on the quick are always good.

Patrick
05-17-2010, 10:36 AM
I'd better bring an extra chair.

Bushcraft
05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Interesting, but one shot at each stage doesn't necessarily equate to proficiency with bow/pistol/rifle. I'd prefer to see the concept of having to engage multiple targets at different ranges, which would remove a lucky shot or two out of the equation.

How about...

Upland Bird/Duck (Stage 1): Shotgun - shoot two clay pidgeons before progressing on to next stage. (a target mechanical thrower that throws consistently would be best)

Squirrel Hunt (Stage 2): Participant must jog/run to this stage and whack 5 small steel target placed at reasonable .22LR distances.

Big Game Hunt (Stage 3): Participant must jog/run to this stage and shoot three seperate targets, one at short range (25-50 yards), one at mid-range (100-200 yards), and one at longer hunting range (300 yards).

Two-Legger (Stage 4): Participant must jog/run to this stage and shoot three targets, one at short range (5-10 yards), one at mid-range (15-20 yards), and one at longer range (30 yards). Preferably centerfire defensive handgun 9mm or larger.

Archery (Stage 5): Participant must jog/run to this stage and shoot some number of targets, one at short range (5-10 yards), one at mid-range (15-20 yards), and one at longer range (30 yards).

The aforementioned stages could be individual categories or scored in an aggregate "all around".

Heck, might even be able to throw in a black-powder stage whereby one has to load and fire a blunderbuss.

Timberline
05-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Interesting, but one shot at each stage doesn't necessarily equate to proficiency with bow/pistol/rifle. I'd prefer to see the concept of having to engage multiple targets at different ranges, which would remove a lucky shot or two out of the equation.

I like your basic concept. Set it up and we will shoot.

Just some input, for what it’s worth:

• In the history of this Rendezvous, one person (Singleshot) has brought a shotgun one time. For whatever reason, rifles and pistols have been the heaters of choice.
• Ammo cost and availability will be a genuine consideration for many.
• What’s all this running/jogging have to do with hunting? Safety? Can Huntsman22 ride his horse between stations?

• Seriously, how about a “Pack-Fire” Stage? Walk 50 yards wearing a 50 pound Kifaru Longhunter Pack, take the pack off and fire a rifle at targets at 100 and 200 and 250 yards, using the pack as a field rest (prone or sitting). Upon taking pack off, all three shots have to be taken within 30 or 45 seconds.

• How about a “Bear-in-Camp” Stage? Get out of sleeping bag, unzip tipi flap, then fire three shots at Bear Target with handgun at 10 yards from tipi door. Points given for target score and time.

• How about a “Running Target” Stage? Maybe a cable strung tightly between trees with weighted, hanging target on pulleys that runs down that cable???? Anyone have any idea how to cobble together something like that or some other moving target?

Timberline
05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Cowdr is lending his .257 Roberts and and some ammo.

Herb,

I'll look forward to trying that .257 Bob, if I might.

I'll also have a Winchester 1886 in 45-70 that you should try. Great big lever gun that is relatively mild to shoot. Lots of fun. Here's Don giving it a go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/TimberlineX/KifaruRondy2009019.jpg

Bill

Herb
05-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Doc says the .257 Bob is his favorite rifle, so I need to be sure it doesn't get put down on a trading blanket out there.

Looking forward to the lever action, I don't have Don's good shooting form, but I'll try.

Boneless pork ribs have been in the smoker since 8:30 a.m., smells pretty good.

CCH
05-17-2010, 04:24 PM

How about...

Upland Bird/Duck (Stage 1): Shotgun - shoot two clay pidgeons before progressing on to next stage. (a target mechanical thrower that throws consistently would be best)

Squirrel Hunt (Stage 2): Participant must jog/run to this stage and whack 5 small steel target placed at reasonable .22LR distances.

Big Game Hunt (Stage 3): Participant must jog/run to this stage and shoot three seperate targets, one at short range (25-50 yards), one at mid-range (100-200 yards), and one at longer hunting range (300 yards).

Two-Legger (Stage 4): Participant must jog/run to this stage and shoot three targets, one at short range (5-10 yards), one at mid-range (15-20 yards), and one at longer range (30 yards). Preferably centerfire defensive handgun 9mm or larger.

Archery (Stage 5): Participant must jog/run to this stage and shoot some number of targets, one at short range (5-10 yards), one at mid-range (15-20 yards), and one at longer range (30 yards).

The aforementioned stages could be individual categories or scored in an aggregate "all around".

Heck, might even be able to throw in a black-powder stage whereby one has to load and fire a blunderbuss.

That there is a lot of rules and directions for a Rendezvous. I doubt I'd even remember them all in the "heat of battle" and everything.

How about this? .22 pistols at 50 yards at one of the bigger .22 steel swingers of Singleshot while drinking coffee with the hand of your choice. Bonus points if you can manipulate a donut along with the coffee and pistol.

Jon S
05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
• How about a “Running Target” Stage? Maybe a cable strung tightly between trees with weighted, hanging target on pulleys that runs down that cable???? Anyone have any idea how to cobble together something like that or some other moving target?[/QUOTE]

I can bring some old climbing rope, a pulley or two (might have to go buy some cheap ones from Ace hardware, don't want nobody shooting my climbing pulleys) and some bailing wire. We could wrap one end of climbing rope around a tree at a higher elevation than the second end, string a few pulleys on that rope, bailing wire some targets to the pulleys and let 'er rip.

Safety will have to be paramount as the faster we want it to go, the higher the top end of rope will have to be, that to me sounds like a dangerous situation, so we could tie some flagging to the rope at a point at which it is safe to shoot the target in motion. Would also give shooter some time to acquire target visually before sighting on it.

Very primitive idea, others will have better suggestions or ways to make mine better, could be fun, fun, fun.

flamingo 7
05-17-2010, 08:29 PM
A while back in response to testing our rambeling skills, Andy in NH posted this...

"One of Lt. Col. Cooper's standards (paraphrased by me):

At 25 meters, the shooter stands at standard ready, with butt on hip, safety on, muzzle alinged exactly between the shooter's eye and the target. The target is a 4" circle and the shooter is allowed one and a half seconds to to mount his rifle and deliver the shot.

He also comments that, "That not many men can place all five shots in the head ring every time on demand."

Cooper, Jeff. The Art of the Rifle : Special Color Edtion. New York: Paladin P, 2002. pg. 184""

And Kevin responded with another good one...

"I'll take a stab at this, for western hunting.

Start at the firing line.

from there....grouse (aka clay pigeon) at 25 yds. Hit or miss, just like real grouse.

Deer....8.5x11 piece of paper at 100 yds and 200 yds or 10" gong.

Elk.....200 and 400 yds....20" gong.

Shoot them any way you like. Offhand, tree for a rest, pack for a rest prone.

Score 10 for a hit, or 0. Fastest perfect score wins."

Best to keep it short and sweet or you'll wind up burning a lot of bullshooting time. Looks like I'll not make it this year, unless something remarkable breaks loose. Good luck and have fun.

Huntsman22
05-17-2010, 08:46 PM
What? No flamingo? Whassup with that?

Smokepole
05-17-2010, 09:31 PM
I'll miss him. I was gonna trade my Marlin .22 for his Dakota at the swap meet.