PDA

View Full Version : Qeustion for patrick

BB
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
I have wondered for a long time now why Eastmans hunting journal never reviews Kifaru equipment. Is it because they tend to only review stuuf they are given to use? Does it have to do with how much is spent on ads? I have seen this asked of Eastmans & the answer has been " we have not tried Kifaru products as yet " Eastmans seems a very logical choice for the Kifaru name to pop up as they promote backcountry hunts so much.

Patrick
04-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Hello BB.

I don't know. Perhaps the magazine does have long and friendly relations with other brands, advertizers. That's probably a pretty normal thing, really.

GJZ
04-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Every now and then I'll recognize a Kifaru pack on the Outdoor Channel on some high country adventure where Patrick's equipment is right at home but there are way too many shows that focus only on the kill or something they feel is important and leave out all the good details like what gear they are using, insight and other valuable/interesting information pertinent to the area and game they are pursuing. Not saying this is the case with Eastman but see it quite often.

Ermine
05-03-2010, 02:51 PM
I think you dont see Kifaru or mystery ranch packs in magazines is because they are higher priced. You mostly see the lower priced packs. Some guys from out east dont realize why a good pack is so essential because of their style of hunting. I guess majority of the population doesnt want to spend their money on the best pack they can get. They are missing out thou. But oh well. I guess there are just fewer people in the kifaru club and that makes us just more elite.

redstarcluster
05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah, to be honest, I like the fact that Kifaru isn't the rage in big magazines and stuff. It makes me feel more special, like I'm in on some kind of secret.

GJZ
05-20-2010, 09:42 PM
I think you dont see Kifaru or mystery ranch packs in magazines is because they are higher priced. Some guys from out east dont realize why a good pack is so essential because of their style of hunting.

I bought all my pack(s) for use both in the east and the northwest and anywhere else I can hunt and fish in between. Not sure if this is a primary factor but most people back east don't have to bone-out their game to pack it out of a remote area. Regardless, personally I appreciate quality equipment and all my packs and shelters have worked great for me and my personal experience with Kifaru has proved more than one they are a first class operation with top shelf hunting gear that works as expected!

shumaker250
08-23-2010, 02:30 PM
Most of my hunting is in Virginia with a hunt club. We can get to all our deer with a 4wheeler. When I go back to Pennsylvania to hunt I use a backpack. I'm hunting the Nat Forest, so no 4wheelers. It's usually not a very deep hunt as the further in you go ,the closer you come to the next road. Therefore the pack I use is a WalMart brand. It is sufficient for what I do. When I bone out a whitetail I can put all the meat in a couple of WalMart bags. Freind of mine has a Kifaru pack. Nice. He has used it in Pa. But, just by way of explanation a higher price pack is just not needed. If we were coming out west more often then........... Just my 2 cents worth

GJZ
08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Kifaru quality speaks for itself....

If your packing some weight quite a distance the Kifaru will make the trip much easier and designed well!

The kifaru gun bearer is priceless!!

BuckarooMedic
02-09-2011, 12:03 AM
I know this is a little bit of a necro-post, sorry. It's funny that BB mentions this. I first became aware of Kifaru while thumbing through a Backpacker Magazine's annual gear in review edition. I want to say it was either 2001 or the 2002 copy. In the "tent" section there was a short review of a couple of Kifaru's original teepees (I forget which ones) along with specifications. They also listed a web-site, to which I went to and to my amazement realized that Kifaru was started by Patrick Smith of Mountainsmith fame. I had used an all black MS Tour Pack while in the Army (my son still uses it BTW) and had always said; "I wish Mountainsmith made military packs, cuz I would buy one in a heartbeat". Well, the rest is history.

It's still a very valid question, why do we never see Kifaru gear in mainstream publications? Mr. Smith, maybe with the introduction of your Ultralight packs, you could get into the Backpacker or Outdoor magazine's gear review editions this year or next?

Take care,

moa_shooter
03-08-2011, 07:06 AM
...I first became aware of Kifaru while thumbing through a Backpacker Magazine's annual gear in review edition...

I have a subscription to Backpacker Magazine and was a bit dissapointed not to find any Kifaru gear mentioned anywhere in the April 2011 edition's Gear Guide.

Vernon
03-08-2011, 09:02 AM
The Backpacker Gear Guide does not list many of the smaller, cottage manufacturers or many of the overseas brands. The overseas brands are often hard to get so that is understandable. I guess they are looking to serve the majority of their readers with what is easily available. AFAIK Kifaru has never been in the guide but neither has McHale. Take that for what it's worth but it doesn't bother me. I know good gear and how to find it. :D

Vernon
03-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Most of my hunting is in Virginia with a hunt club. We can get to all our deer with a 4wheeler. When I go back to Pennsylvania to hunt I use a backpack. I'm hunting the Nat Forest, so no 4wheelers. It's usually not a very deep hunt as the further in you go ,the closer you come to the next road. Therefore the pack I use is a WalMart brand. It is sufficient for what I do. When I bone out a whitetail I can put all the meat in a couple of WalMart bags. Freind of mine has a Kifaru pack. Nice. He has used it in Pa. But, just by way of explanation a higher price pack is just not needed. If we were coming out west more often then........... Just my 2 cents worth

No offense shumaker, but I don't consider a Walmart pack sufficient for anything. I started years ago with a store brand pack (probably Sears or Monkey Wards back then) and by my second backpacking trip I had a Wilderness Experience pack. The pack and your footwear are the foundation of any trek. Good ones make all the difference. For the hunting I've been doing in WV a Kifaru Daystalker has been a godsend. As mentioned, the Gunbearer alone is worth the cost. I have never thought of K gear as overkill - it's just among the elite top of the line of gear and it allows me to focus on the trek, hunt, etc. instead of on the gear.