PDA

View Full Version : anyone regret E&E strap upgrade

AndyL
04-10-2010, 09:59 AM
When I bought my E&E (2008 model) I also got the Xray straps as I figured it would be very expensive to get them into the UK at a later date. This was a few months ago now and I still haven't put them on. I like the way I can tuck the straps away and stick the E&E under the top/bottom compression straps on the marauder. It's mostly used as a stand along pack though and while I don't put much weigh in it wonder if I should still put the straps on.

Who's tried both and decided not to switch straps? Has anyone put the Xray straps on and regretted it.

Steel314
04-10-2010, 10:11 AM
No, And I wouldn't get one without it. Just make sure when you put them on that you do not cut too much of the original strap off.

I got a little carried away and would like to have a little more room to play with up top. It still works fine though.

You can still tuck them away easily in the same manner with the upgraded straps. I would go for it and not look back.

RNAV(GPS)RWY 06
04-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Very good upgrade. No negatives that I can think of.

medic4life
04-11-2010, 03:44 AM
No, absolutely not.

Took me a long time before I put them on too, mainly because I didn't have a good way of cutting the old straps.

Very good addition to the E&E.

AndyL
04-11-2010, 09:17 AM
what have people used to cut them? I have sharp knives but I don't think I could melt the ends as neatly as the ones on my marauder.

sovereign
04-11-2010, 11:27 AM
what have people used to cut them? I have sharp knives but I don't think I could melt the ends as neatly as the ones on my marauder.

Go to a mountaineering store and ask to use their hot wire cutter.

DavidLewis
04-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Sharp knife, sharp scissors, Sears/Craftsman pliers-type cutter with replacable blade (don't know exactly what it's called)...anything sharp will get the job done. I prefer a knife to anything else, but have used all 3.

I find it's better if the blade is longer than the width of the webbing, so it's one smooth slice.

Then, a butane lighter does the trick, if there's not much to melt. If there's a bunch, I find that simply lighting a candle in a candle holder gives me a stable flame, & allows using both hands to hold the webbing (and whatever is attached to it).

Going to an outdoor store & using their hot wire cutter is certainly an option, but I find I get smoother, better results than they do...probably because it's my gear, & I care more about it than the salesman does (even though they're sometimes great guys or gals).

David

medic4life
04-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I used a blade like tip on a soldering gun.

noflushbandit
04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I have used my e&e both ways and because I carry it everyday, I have come to like the xray straps. If you are keeping it stowed on the marauder then it probably is not a big deal. I do stow it on my mollex every once in a while and the xray straps pack up pretty nicely too. In terms of cuttingthe straps, I have a pair of oversized shears I got at home depot that worked great because they were long. they also had mini serrations on te blade too. just use a lighteror candle to seal the ends up and you should be good to go. I agree with doing it yourself because you cando it the way you want itdone.

Mel
04-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, I hate to say this, but a lot of you are way overthinking the Xray strap conversion on the E&E. You can use just about any decent set of scissors you've got laying around the house. Just cut the 2" webbing, and then grab a Bic lighter and burn the ends, done deal. It really is that simple, and looks like it was done at the factory. I like to cut the standard E&E shoulder strap webbing just above the D-rings, which leaves plenty of webbing for adjustment on the Xray straps.

Mel

noflushbandit
04-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Roger that. it's really a 2 minute process. I used my trusty bic lighter. I had to use the shears because that's th only scissors I have floatig around

summitteer
04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I got my E&E this winter with the X-Ray straps. I used it a little with the original straps and then made the cross-over to the X-rays'. It was a nice modification. I use mine as an add-on to my Longhunter when traveling (into a lake to fish or as a pod on my frame with a cargo chair and no bag, etc) then I undock and use it like a day pack. I haven't had any issues with the straps getting in the way when docked. They pack away like the old ones.

I used the wife's sewing shears (she doesn't know that) to cut my old straps off. Then burned the ends with a Bic. Very Easy and looks good too.

DM6
04-13-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm still borderline on doing this as well...

I'm thinking of cutting the E&E strap and then sewing one of the three bar buckles onto the ends of the old "throw away" strap. That way, I can thread on the X-Ray straps to the E&E, but if need be take them off and thread on the old straps in the same way.