PDA

View Full Version : ZXR VS MMR which one ?

rwandrw
04-05-2010, 10:34 AM
before I spend 500.00 can I get anyone and everyones views one which one and why?

sab
04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
If you want to use it to haul game or odd-shaped items, get the MMR because the bag comes off to convert to a freight-hauler. If you're only going to be hauling camping equipment, get the ZXR because it's lighter.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Scott

rwandrw
04-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks Scott i was thinking along the same lines, the MMR has the get in from the side thing but I have side pouches and can not see me using them

RW

redstarcluster
04-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I say MMR. I think side zip access is pretty nifty, and the MMR has a larger sleeping bag compartment. The MMR is also Duplex, meaning you can do a lot of stuff with it that you can't with the ZXR. With a cargo chair sandwiched between the frame and the bag, you've got a hauler waiting to happen.

spoolup
04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
If you want to use it to haul game or odd-shaped items, get the MMR because the bag comes off to convert to a freight-hauler. If you're only going to be hauling camping equipment, get the ZXR because it's lighter.

That's my 2 cents worth...

Scott

This....

I went the route of a ZXR, simply because I already had a EMR. However to be honest.... If it were not for me already having the EMR already I would have probally gotten the MMR simply due to the avilable options for it down the road if needed. But of all 3 of my Kifaru packs, I think the ZXR will be used the most. Big enought to handle almost anything without pockets, comfortable, just the right size... it has alot going for it.

testedone
04-05-2010, 12:35 PM
kind of off subject but looking at this link

https://www.kifaru.net/militarypacks.htm

The picture above the MMR & EMR shows a front loader...neither of thsoe two are front loaders (panel) are they?

spoolup
04-05-2010, 02:16 PM
kind of off subject but looking at this link

https://www.kifaru.net/militarypacks.htm

The picture above the MMR & EMR shows a front loader...neither of thsoe two are front loaders (panel) are they?

Nope... AG1 is a front loader. Utilizes the same frame as the EMR. Maybe they accidently swapped the photos for Duplex and armor grip on that page.

I recently discovered a oops as well when I ordered my Supertarp... the purchase page after "click to order" has a few options... peg and pole packages, add annex- which if you click yes... will order a paratarp annex, not the supertarp annex. Angie noticed this and called me to confirm which I wanted, then corrected it. Again, thanks Angie for noticing this, and I cant wait for my supertarp/ annex/ and small stove combo!

steveb
04-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Here is my take on this decision (it can be a hard one);

ZXR, weighs in at less than 7 pounds and a great choice if your load will usually be less than 70 pounds.

MMR, if you anticipate regular loads over 70 pounds and/or have need for a hauler/cargo carrier. However, pack weighs over 9 pounds.

They both have the same capacity and similar 'feel'. I have used both, and the ZXR seems to ride a little more comfortably for me. If I were to get a 'duplex' type pack now, I'd go with an EMR...might as well have the capacity to match the capability of the frame. I'd go G2 with either choice.

sab
04-05-2010, 05:43 PM
the MMR has the get in from the side thing but I have side pouches and can not see me using them

I think side zip access is pretty nifty

I have an MMR, and I've NEVER touched the side zippers because I use a pack liner to keep everything dry, and the pack liner prevents both the side zip and the sleeping bag zipper from being usable. Honestly, I'd gladly give them up to save some weight.

Scott

revelation2012
04-05-2010, 07:30 PM
I have both the ZXR (G1) and the EMR Hauler (G2). I agree with Steveb's comments. My EMR without the bag and using pods is pretty light comparitvely.

Take-a-knee
04-05-2010, 08:24 PM
I have an MMR, and I've NEVER touched the side zippers because I use a pack liner to keep everything dry, and the pack liner prevents both the side zip and the sleeping bag zipper from being usable. Honestly, I'd gladly give them up to save some weight.

Scott

See Mel, I ain't the only one who's figured this out. Very few long-distance hikers (AT/PCT/CDT etc) use a pack with zippers. What makes hunters any different? It ain't no book bag, it's a backcountry tool.

wolfmen
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Vote for MMR.
I think Duplex system is more comfortable than wraptech, it's because the duplex system come with the frame ((HDPE panel).

When i put 3L bladder into ZXR water sleeve, the shape of bag will have a little of "distort". But i have no problem with my G1 EMR.

I owned EMR, ZXR, ZULU, EXPRESS and SCOUT and I sold all out.
ANd now i am waiting to upgrade to G2 EMR and G2 Express.

For myself, i think tha above 2 packs are most comfortable and most suitable for need .

wolfmen