PDA

View Full Version : Bataan Memorial Death March

Mel
10-31-2003, 07:23 AM
Tank_Killer, one of our board members, called me the other day to let me know that the march is on again for 04. It was cancelled last year because of deployments. Here's the website to learn more about this <a href="http://www.bataanmarch.com." target="_blank">http://www.bataanmarch.com (http://www.bataanmarch.com.).</a> I started training last winter for the 03 march until it got cancelled, and am thinking of starting up again for the 04 event. Looks like a kick ass event. The highlights to me would be, finishing, and a chance to meet the survivors of the real Bataan Death March. Oh, by the way, Tank_Killer finished very high in the standings in the Heavy Division (35lb ruck) in 02.

Mel

tsette
10-31-2003, 09:00 AM
I went to the Address and it isn't working. Could you provide dates. Maybe Kifaru would like to sponsor a team of GI's with some gear????

Just a thought

/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

LT

Mel
10-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Guys, that is really wierd. Sometimes it comes up and sometimes it doesn't. Another way is do a google search (www.google.com). Type in "bataan memorial death march", and it should be the first listing. Just click onto that and the site should come up.

Mel

ibtrdia
10-31-2003, 01:34 PM
]Mel[

There was a full stop after the .com on your URL http://www.bataanmarch.com./

http://www.bataanmarch.com/

Mel
10-31-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks Ibtrdia.

Mel

Jan
10-31-2003, 04:10 PM
Very cool!!
I wonder if anyone from Illinois is going?

Mel, could you please email me? We gotta talk packs ASAP! Thanks!

pinepig5
11-02-2003, 07:01 PM
That is cool. Reminds me of my terrible Mohave years... Mel I think you should organize Team Kifaru.

Mel
11-03-2003, 11:24 PM
Team Kifaru, heh? Any interest here?

Mel

Jan
11-04-2003, 05:51 AM
Team Kifaru, that would rock!
Now the only task will be to stay in shape for this event and try to get a pack by March of next year!!!

tsette
11-04-2003, 05:55 AM
If Im not deployed I will go for team Kifaru.

Mel you looking for volunteers?

Jan
11-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Mel,
I think this "Team Kifaru" idea could be a winner. If this really comes through, then all people interested really should make some arrangements for housing, travel, pickup from airport and so on. That way we could save a bunch of money.
Maybe we need a dedicated thread about this!?

pinepig5
11-04-2003, 11:26 AM
It depends how comfy my pointman will be when I get it. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Tank_Killer
11-05-2003, 04:46 PM
pinepig - your Pointman will be very comfortable. I bought mine to use in the 2003 march and trained with it for 3 months. Unfortunately, they cancelled it.

Jan - What part of Illinois do you live in? I'm in the St Louis area.

For those of you thinking about going, start training now. The death march is intense.

Team Kifaru, I like the sound of that. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

cpt/en/ca
11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Sign me up for the team /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Mel
11-05-2003, 11:06 PM
This is getting kind of interesting. Okay, just for discussion sake, let's say there is a "Team Kifaru". Some questions needing to be addressed:

How to go about picking 5 team members?

What type of training program to adhere to?

Developing a race strategy.

Working out the logistics of meeting up, sorting out equipment, accomodations, etc..

These are just a few things that come to mind off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many others. Comments please.

Mel

Jan
11-06-2003, 04:26 AM
Mel,
why only go with one Team Kifaru? If there is more than 5 people, then we might as well be able to get 10 people together and open up another team.
Workout plan: I could probably come up with a training program geared towards the marathon distance. However, the challenge is to combine both aerobic endurance training (a ****load of running) with packbearing capability. So you have to practice both running and humping a pack which of course will be very time-intensive.
Race strategy: go like hell all the way.

tsette
11-06-2003, 06:51 AM
I think that you could have more than one team. I think one standard pack should be used from Kifaru line to meet a standard, team wide. Accomadations for military is easy since it is a base. Non-military would probably stay with the military member in the rooms that could be reserved by the military member.

The military has an actual manual on Foot marches. I could send an electronic copy to all interested.

Infantryman like myself know what long ruck marches are like. To get ready A combo of running long distance and actually doing marches definately will help. Start with short distances and go from there. A standard upper body workout should be apart of the program so your body will not tire in other areas.

Another question would be; can Kifaru give standard rucks if some team members dont have them? The actual question would be, what kind of advertising does Kifaru want to do?

I think a military team and a civilian team could be a good idea. But it depends on how many want to do this. If you have enough military and civilians to do this.

You could also have teams based on geographical areas so they can meet and train togather but this ideas have alot of flaws due to where to meet and other considerations of fairness.

I think I made more questions than I answered.

LT OUT

Tank_Killer
11-06-2003, 07:28 AM
Keep in mind that the equipment rules for the military teams are very strict. You will have to get written approval from the OIC to carry a Kifaru pack in a military division. This wasn't a problem last year, but you never know. Here's an example of how jacked up the rules are. A Marine can use the new USMC Arc Teryx internal frame pack, but an Army Soldier can not. Why? Because the pack has to be issued by YOUR service. Same thing with boots. In the past they have been flexible with this, but again, you definitely want to check first. Also, this thing is organized by REMFs, not trigger pullers.

Tank_Killer
11-06-2003, 08:00 AM
Here's some random thoughts about training for the Death March. I ran in 2002 and finished in 6:03.

To be competitive, you MUST run (or at least trot) most of the race.

It is next to impossible to keep an even pace, due to terrain and elevation conditions. You will find yourself running at 1-2 minutes per mile faster than your intended pace and other times you just have to walk.

The area that is referred to as the "sand pit" is exaclty that. Ankle deep sand for a little over a mile. IIRC, there is also some deep sand between miles 6-8. Miles 9-12 are uphill, the entire way. It's not pretty.

I have found the best way to train is to treat it like a normal marathon. You need to build your base miles. I only run with a ruck 1-2 times per week, but I run 5-6 days per week. If you run everyday with your ruck, you will wear out boots in a matter of weeks(trust me) or you will wear out your joints. I always do a weekly long run and carry my ruck on it. It is important to get out on a trail that has some elevation changes. Running on the road is fine, but it won't prepare you for the Death March. I do a little strength training, mainly to break the monotony. I don't know if it helps. If you can't stand running everyday, cross-training is a viable alternative. I am paticularly partial to the cross-country ski machine that they have at my local YMCA.

When I ran, I wore Wellco jungle boots (good choice) and New Balance 805 trail shoes (bad choice). The time savings by using running shoes as opposed to boots is not worth the damage to your feet.

Wellcos are my personal choice. They are the best combination of lightweight, support, and durability, IMHO. I have also trained in Belleville boots, Montrail hiking boots, and Vasque hiking boots. YMMV

Train in the boots you will wear on race day. This one should be self-explanatory.

Start training NOW. Don't wait and don't underestimate this event.

You WILL question your commitment to finishing at some point during the race. There are survivors from the real Death March on the course. Thinking about their ordeal helped motivate me to keep going.

Meeting the Bataan Death March survivors and hearing about their experiences in their own words is a profound experience. It's great to be competitive, but more important to remember the true purpose of the event.

pinepig5
11-06-2003, 09:09 AM
I think you could field at least one military (assumng Kifaru ok for pack) and one civilian team with interested people. As far as selecting members, it could be done by folks submitting honest times from a simulated track. You could have a first and second string team based on that too. I'm thinking the pack would be a Pointman, just based on the weight carried vs size, but maybe it wouldn't matter if there were a variety of Kifarus, except to the military board.

And then there would be the coveted Team Kiafru T shirt...

I tweaked one of my knees a little, so constant running is out for me and that may exclude me, but I'm working on it and it's not bad. I use machines a lot and do a lot of day hikes up Mountains in the area with my 20lb Scout, and I'm fine but I use trekking poles, which would probably be bad form in this race!

I don't know how many are in the military and already do this PT continuously- but those folks in their 20's would assumably rule the day.

AbnMedOps
11-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Tank Killer, and the rest of you studs;
Don't run with a ruck..the impact hammering of your joints is exponentially increased! In fact, USASOC banned running with a rucksack. There were simply far to many unnesc. training injuries and far too many SF troopers limping around with careers cut short and knees that will be in pain the rest of their days. And the running rarely seems to buy much time, for most soldiers. Observe a big indiv. road march event, like EFMB. Most of the jackrabbits fall back. The disciplined, steady-pace soldiers are the best finishers. I strongly believe in ruck marching, both indiv. and unit, for physical AND mental conditioning, esprit, and as a combat skill task. However, rucking should support a SUSTAINABLE level of conditioning, NOT a one-shot, "stunt" of extreme endurance. Remember, in combat, a ruck march is just a way of getting to the battlefield - don't shoot your wad- once you are there, you must be in proper condition to shoot/move/communicate/secure/sustain. Train as you fight - conclude your unit marches (and jumps!) with a surprise change-of-mission (Rifle range? Common-Task-Testing? NBC? One-rope-bridge? Land-Nav? New-Equipment-Training? Anything but the EO/***ual harrassment commissar!)Ideally, this should be sceduled on Friday, and conclude with Beer Call and early release!

tsette
11-06-2003, 03:25 PM
I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE NO RUNNING WITH BOOTS AND RUCK. I KNOW WE ARE STUDS IN A PROFESSION OF STUDLY THINGS BUT THIS IS STUPID TO DESTROY YOUR JOINTS. A GOOD STEADY PACE IS A TEAM THING NOT A ONE MAN SHOW. WE ARE OUT TO REPRESENT THE MILITARY AND KIFARU IF THIS HAPPENDS AND NO ONE SHOULD DESTROY THERE BODY FOR ONE RACE. THE TEAM STARTS TOGATHER AND FINISHES TOGATHER NOT A ONE MAN SHOW.

I AGREE WELLCO'S ARE THE BEST. I HAVE A PAIR.

I THINK WE ARE ALL PRFESSIONALS HERE AND WE NEED TO PLAN A GOOD COURSE OF ACTION AND LEARN FROM OTHERS WHO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE.

TANK YOU HAVE GOOD POINTS BUT THE MEDIC IS RIGHT. NO RUNNING OR TROTTING. WE NEED COMBAT EFFECTIVE SOLDIERS AT THE END OF THE 26 MILES NOT A DEAD TIRED SQUAD.

I THINK THERE A 4 MILITARY MEMBERS SO FAR THAT WANT TO DO THIS FROM WHAT I READ ANYONE ELSE FROM THE MILITARY WANT TO DO THIS?

SO FAR I READ:
TANK
ABN
MYSELF
AND EN/CA

ANYONE ELSE?

Jan
11-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Hi,
one count for the non-military team.
Anyone want to enlighten me as to what model Wellco you are talking about. I currently use a great pair of Meindl hiking boots for hiking, but they might be a little hot and heavy for the desert. All help is greatly appreciated.

tsette
11-07-2003, 10:17 AM
These are the best.
really light and good alll a round.

http://www.wellco.com/html/tuffkushion_boots.html

tsette
11-07-2003, 10:20 AM
I might be deployed starting the 14 of November. I will keep everyone updated on if it happens or not so I can either be apart of this event or not.

Does anyone like IRAQ. It might be my new home.

LT OUT

Jan
11-07-2003, 12:33 PM
So you vote for the Tuffkushion and not the normal Panama sole style?

tsette
11-07-2003, 01:58 PM
hell ya those things are like running shoes on crack.

LT out

Jan
11-09-2003, 07:44 AM
Point taken!
But if you want to see the ultimate running shoes on crack: http://www.nike.com/nikelab/kukini_tour/index.jhtml?ref=www.nike.com/nikerunning
LOL! Us triathletes love gadgets!

Jan
11-13-2003, 10:31 AM
Are there any concrete plans on the side of Kifaru to make this happen? I think we should get moving on this rather quickly! Mel, Patrick???

tsette
11-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Well Im not being deployed anymore. They only want enlisted guys. owe well.

I want to be apart of the team again. I know that we need to start planning now. Patrick or mel please give us some guidance into which way you want to do this.

Thanks

LT OUT

Mel
11-13-2003, 06:41 PM
Patrick will be out here tomorrow and we will discuss the Team Kifaru issue while he's here.

LT, are you coming down Sunday for the seminar?

Mel

tsette
11-15-2003, 09:35 AM
NO I wont be able to make it this Sunday Military and family issues. Still on alert status for the big sand box. Please let me know what you need of me or just call me and we can go over details since patrick is in town. 415-297-4886

Dan
11-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Damn - I want in on the team, hell, I'm training to go to "another" unit right now anyway /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Mel - if my March Deployment falls through I'll let you know - Team Kifaru sounds like it would be a real blast to be part of!

Ya'll have fun!

Dan

tsette
11-21-2003, 06:57 AM
How many military members are down for this thing. I mean really down. As a team, to start together and finish together no show boating. I need an accurate count. please reply and let me know. Mel has some info to put out about the team Kifaru project, Its very fair and you will all like it.

cpt/en/ca
11-21-2003, 07:58 AM
I would like to do it, with the understanding that I may not be here in March.

Mel
11-21-2003, 09:52 AM
OK guys, here's some info on Kifaru sponsorship for the Bataan March. We will be willing to sponsor a Military Team and Civilian Team in the heavyweight division (35lb ruck). This is the way it will work. You must use a Kifaru pack, and you will be refunded the price of the pack if you show up and compete. So, if you don't already own a Kifaru pack, then you will have to purchase one. This is the fairest way we could come up with to give away a pack as part of a sponsorship package. It's like a full sponsorship with a pack, that is collected at the end of the event, instead of the begining. As part of Team Kifaru we will supply things like bibs, hats, and/or shirts.

Tsette has offered to head up and organize a Military Team. Is there anyone that is interested in heading up and organizing a Civilian Team? This is the time to get on board and discuss the organizing, training, and logistics for this event.

Mel

David
11-21-2003, 02:35 PM
are you liniting it to a certain pack

Mel
11-21-2003, 02:44 PM
It can be any Kifaru pack, but it must be the one you compete with.

Mel

Dan
11-21-2003, 05:59 PM
I never thought I would feel bad about saying this - but I will be deployed - DAMMIT!!!!! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Dan

Jan
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Mel, what exactly does the organizing position include? I'd be interested, but have to know whether or not I'm actually up to the job. Also, I herewith restate my interest in a position on the civilian team.
Jan

tsette
11-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Military folks...come on I need those replies....don't you want to get your money back on that bad ass pack of yours...make those dam supply sgts feel stupid for saying you spent how much on that....now you can say hell with you i got this one for free and I did the death march...be proud show some intiative and lets do this!!!!!

Email me at todd.settergren@us.army.mil

We know what we need to do to get ready we all have done road marches before. Ruck up and move out. get moving and start preparing...actually you shouldn't have to since it should be apart of your normal routine. Right?

Please let me know who is going or not...Im trying to get TDY orders and thats how we can get rooms at the lodging on base...attempt to do this at your unit and let me know if you have any problems.

HOOAH!
LT OUT

David
11-23-2003, 06:02 PM
looking to get on civilian team

pinepig5
11-23-2003, 07:01 PM
I'm interested in the civilian side but can't commit 100% until all my parts work...well, OK, just most of them. Should be OK.

tsette
11-25-2003, 04:24 PM
Well maybe we scared them off?

Well maybe there will only be one team. Mel Im not getting many responses, actually I have not received 1. So we need to make one team it sounds and have it go from there. We need 5 individuals for the team in anyway so we can have a team Kifaru. Please reply I know there are a couple of us that want to do this but if you want to go all the way let me know thanks. Mel what do you think?

LT out

tsette
11-26-2003, 04:50 AM
Okay I have Jan, David and pinpeg and if he can CPT/EN and we of course all live apart. You all need to get a pack and start walking alot. Try to walk atleast 3-4 miles a day starting this week. Take sundays off so your body can get some rest. We are not trying to beat any records, its a team event so the slowest man dictates speed, but it would be nice to finish in a decent time. I think that as long as you all try and you show up we will all finish and be proud. This will be the first team Kifaru and I dont think the last. Im working with the base on specifics for housing but my question to all of you is if we want to camp or have rooms? Let me know so I can look into it.

LT OUT

cpt/en/ca
11-26-2003, 06:34 AM
LT,

email sent

Jan
11-26-2003, 07:30 AM
I honestly don't care about housing, I'd be just fine with sleeping on a gym floor for a day or two. I just need a cheap way to get there!

By the way, what happened to Tank Killer? Is he still going to join or is he deployed?

tsette
11-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Tank killer is either deployed or he will be running the event alone because he has done this competition and from what mel tells me he is still running it alone, if he isn't I would like to know his plans if he wants to join us?

Mel told me he could bring a couple of 8 man tents for our use but my concern is if after we do the ded do we want nice fresh showers.

Thanks for the email CPT. Jan thanks as well. Please keep me informed as to how your schedules are working out and I completely understand if you cant make it. But for your info the sooner I can get a go from people the sooner I can put in the paperwork and garuntee our spot in the race.

tsette
11-30-2003, 08:58 PM
Come on folks lets do this anyone else want to join this little trek.

Lets do this!!!

pinepig5
12-01-2003, 08:20 AM
what about Mel and Patrick joining on?

Jan
12-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Again, count me in!

Mel
12-02-2003, 12:03 AM
Guys, I plan on entering the event as an individual in the Civilian Heavyweight Division. I see where it looks like Team Kifaru will have to be in the Civilian Heavyweight Team Division, with a mix of military and non military members. I am willing to be an alternate on the team, only if you can't get enough guys, or someone is unable to make it. I'm sure most of you guys are young and fit, and I would hate to slow you down, but I'd give it my best effort. I can promise you I won't quit. I don't know what your ages are, but I will turn 55 three weeks after the march. I do spend a lot of time under a ruck doing stair workouts and tabbing, and do a lot of running on the beach, roads, and trails. I'm now training with a focus on what's needed for this Bataan March (30 years younger would help! LOL). Let me know what you think.

Mel

tsette
12-02-2003, 05:10 PM
Mel its all about the team no one member is more important than anyone else so sir you are very welcome aboard. Like Ive said all along its a team effort the slowest man leads the team and our only goal is to finish. I think this will be a mixed team and we will be good.

I have Jan, Mel, Myself, I think EN/CA might make it so we need atleast 2 more just to make sure we have a team.

Please speak up and let me know.

Maximus05
12-06-2003, 12:41 PM
I would like to join you. I am a civilian, but in decent shape. If you are open to having me join you then consider me in. I don't have a Kifaru pack yet but will be ordering in the next few weeks.

cpt/en/ca
12-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Long as I'm here /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

MATCHGRADE
12-07-2003, 05:00 PM
I am so ready. Most of you dont know me from the message boards. I was at the convention in Santa Cruz. I have the time, Im a civillian, Im in shape, and Ive got a kifaru (want another). I am also a certified personal fitness trainer. Thanks Chris.

Mel
12-08-2003, 12:28 AM
LT:

It looks like a team is starting to take shape. I count you, Jan, Maximus05, and Chris, as good to go. Then we have CPT/EN, David, and PinePig as possibles, depending on circumstances. I'll still be available as an alternate. Anyone else??

Mel

MATCHGRADE
12-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Don't be so humble Mel, if your feeling slow Im sure one of these guys will set you up with a cargo chair ride. Teams gotta finish togeather!

Kevin
12-08-2003, 07:57 PM
I am debating on it, but at 47 with asthma, it's going to be a walk, not a run. I have set Feb 1 as a time to make a decision, and if I do, I'm in it for the duration. It may take albuterol and percoset to make the trip but if I go, I'm crawl to the finish.

Kevin
12-08-2003, 07:58 PM
oops...if I go, and I have to, I'll crawl to the finish. Hit send too soon.

Maximus05
12-10-2003, 08:31 PM
Well, gentlemen. I was getting really excited about this event and had started my training. Then I checked the date. I ASSumed that it was on a Saturday which would have worked fine. So due to a conflict with the date, I am out. My apologies to all involved, but I will not be able to make it. Good luck to team Kifaru.

tsette
12-11-2003, 08:58 AM
No worries max.

As the team is starting to take shape I need to remind you all that you need to start walking the 5 mile course around your local park and if you can use the hills. I also reccommend that you have 2 pairs of boots so you can brake them in properly and allow the boots to rest so you can maximize there use over the long haul, this way youll have 2 pair ready. If you only use 1 pair youll end up needing a new pair by the time the event starts. Im shooting for 15-20 min miles. if this is to fast for you its okay, trying your best is the only thing I ask, dont kill yourself. Is there any concerns at this point that any one wants to ask, ask now so we can get answers.

LT

molsen
12-11-2003, 01:29 PM
I'd love to me a part of Team Kifaru, but I don't have a Kifaru anymore /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif , and I don't think I'll be able to get one by the time of the hike, unless someone can help me out!! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

MATCHGRADE
12-11-2003, 05:07 PM
Hey guys
Ive got a few concerns: I ordered a pair of welcos today. I have a pair of Marine Goretex and a pair of vasque sundowners. Are thees boot apropriate to the temperatures in march? I am 23 but have encountered problems with my knees. I know what the uphill-downhill and sandpits entail.
Cant promise a running pace, but I can promise training like my life will depend on it. I also have a concern that I'll need a cargo chair ride too. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Any word on walking poles. How bad can a marathon like this ruin 1 pair of boots? I know the sand eats 'em. I'm psyched.

Tank_Killer
12-11-2003, 09:10 PM
Chris - IMHO the goretex boots will be too hot to use at Bataan. The Sundowners would be an excellent choice.

Molsen - I was going to run, but will be deployed to support OIF. If you really want to run on Team Kifaru, I'll loan you my Pointman. You're tight with Mel so I figure you are GTG. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

molsen
12-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Tank_Killer,

Email sent regarding this. Thanks!!!!

Mel
12-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Well guys, I'm glad to see the interest perking up. Kevin, I hope your training doesn't start on Feb 1! Maximus05, sorry to hear about the conflicting date. Tank_Killer, thanks for your support, that's what I call a team player! Molsen, does that mean you're on board? Tsette, looks like we're getting real close to a full team.

Mel

molsen
12-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Well guys, Tank_killer was kind enough to let me use his Pointman until I can get one for myself, so it looks like I'll be onboard for Team Kifaru! Whoever's in charge of this motley crew, feel free to email me with anything I should or need to know.

Mike
molsen2295@aol.com

Jan
12-14-2003, 08:15 AM
Hi,
I was wondering what a cheap source of weight is for training with my pack. You know those 70 lbs tube sacks of sand you can buy at any hardware store? I thought about bringing the weight down to about 35 or so and put that in my pack, tighthen it up and go. Maybe the sand is too dense though and the load will be too concentrated? Any input? Thanks,
Jan

Kevin
12-14-2003, 08:55 AM
Bags of shot at 25 lbs each.

I bag of shot plus a gallon of water in a platypus bag...33 lbs.

MATCHGRADE
12-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Dont know if this is helpfull but 4 gallons of water weigh about 32lbs (I think, 8lbs pr gallon?) . Water in gallon jugs will allow variable resistance training, i.e. you can dump it. At the point when I feal like giving up, I dump a few gallons 'till exhaustion again. Any one want to talk training regiments?

tsette
12-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Gentleman as posted above ive been put in charge of this fun gaggle and will try to answer everything you ask. Tank-killer has provided more than enough and is a reliable source of information while he is here. As far as training regiments go I truely reccommend that marching one day running one day with sundays off is a good start. At this point you should be atleast doing 5-10 miles roadmarching. Aim for having 40lbs in the ruck so you will have it easier with 35 except the elevation when we are in white sands. You should run about 3-5 miles on non march day to work on stamina. The more you sweat now the less you bleed there. You can email me with any questions at todd.settergren@us.army.mil Im working on getting rates on rooms if we want. I need to know where you guys want to stay. Like I said in an earlier post I reccommend using two pair of boots to alternate the abuse on the boot so it will be there for the big event.

LT

Jan
12-16-2003, 09:54 AM
Just put in an order for two pairs of Wellco's new Desert VCL boots. I should have them by the end of the week. I hope they will fit.
On where to stay: I really don't care. I just need a cheap flight from Illinois to El Paso and a way to get from El Paso to White Sands.

Tank_Killer
12-16-2003, 02:22 PM
Jan,

Keep your eye on the American Airlines website. <a href="http://www.aa.com." target="_blank">http://www.aa.com (http://www.aa.com.).</a> They usually run some decent fares from either ORD or STL to ELP. I'm sure someone will rent a car and can give you a ride from ELP to WSMR. There were so many marchers arriving at ELP (it's a small airport)when I ran that you could have probably stood by the terminal, held up a sign that said "Deathmarch" and would have gotten a ride. As far as hotels go, I stayed at the Baymont Inn - free continental breakfast and fridge in the room, but on the opposite side of Las Cruces from WSMR. I think the Fairfield Inn is the closest hotel to WSMR (about 25 minutes to the front gate). There is also a new all-suite hotel (Staybridge Suites, maybe?). That might be a good deal for you guys since it probably has a kitchen with range, microwave, full-size fridge, etc. I REALLY wish I could be in this. Make sure you guys take some pictures.

MATCHGRADE
12-18-2003, 12:53 PM
I got my Wellcos today. These things are perfect.
Maybee we should get a wellco Sponsorship.
As far as accomodations go, what ever works. Hotel-gym-teepee. Sorry, didn't mean to beat a dead horse with the training question. I weight train as well which should help, but I dont want to compromise the endurance/cardio training either.I know what I need to do though.

Mel
12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
Hey guys, this thread is starting to get long, so I'm starting a new updated one called "Bataan March / Team Kifaru". This is where you will want to post all the new info and discussion about the march, whether it be individual or team.

Mel

MATCHGRADE
02-13-2004, 01:08 AM
:rolleyes: