PDA

View Full Version : Hydration bladder for G2 Scout

Dan97526
03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Gentlemen,

Finally pulled the trigger on a Scout. I've used water bottles/canteens in the past, but I think it's time to graduate up to a hydration bladder. Other than that vague feeling, I'm clueless about them. I don't know what size to buy or what features to look for. I don't have the Scout yet, but I'm going to be scrambling after I get it because it's going to arrive a week before my spring bear hunt. If I had an idea of what to get beforehand it would be very helpful.

Anybody want to get me dialed in?

Thanks,

Dan

LeRoy
03-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Dan...
thanks for asking about the bladders, as I am in the same position with my G1 ZXR, and E-stock J107.
Looking forward to getting "dialed in" ;)

Later....

DavidLewis
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I use an older 100oz/3L CamelBak "UnBottle" in my Marauder. It is a 3L Omega bladder (large opening), in a dark blue, lightly insulated carrier, with an insulated drink tube (black neoprene cover) and two D-ring attachment points on each side.

I believe it's also available in a 2L version, & there is also the PakTeen, which is 1.5L, I think, for smaller packs.

It's designed to be used in this manner (slip into any pack...not just a hydration-compatible one), or can be clipped externally, or have straps attached to the D-rings for conventional shoulder/backpack style carry (I use a couple of shoulder straps from freebie nylon briefcases for this when mowing the yard).

Here's a link to their current versions:

The Stowaway (most similar to mine...I think I may have added the insulated hose to my Unbottle)...

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/Stoaway-100-oz.aspx

And the Unbottle:

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/unbottle-100oz.aspx

And check out the similar products in the Military product line:
http://www.camelbak.com/government-military/hydration-packs.aspx

I have both military and commercial bladders. I think the Mil versions are a bit tougher than the commercial, but so far, no real problems from either. Even my kids haven't been able to hurt theirs!

Good luck in your search.

David

sab
03-25-2010, 11:47 AM
If you want "bullet-proof", the Camelback military line is the way to go. If you want light weight, the Platypus Hoser line is the way to go. I have both, but I rarely use the Camelbacks any more. I've not had a problem with the durability of the Platypus bladders, and they're significantly lighter (important for an ounce-counter, like me):

CamelBack 2L with Non-insulated Hose - 0.50 lb
CamelBack 3L with Insulated Hose - 0.62 lb
Platypus 2L Hoser with Non-insulated Hose - 0.26 lb
Platypus 3L Hoser with Non-insulated Hose - 0.27 lb

I use a QD on-off valve and a bite valve cover on all of them, so the weights above reflect that.

remington79
03-25-2010, 11:47 AM
If I had a Scout I would just wear my Camelbak Ambush in it's backpack role. When I'm using full size packs or daypacks I strap my Camelbak on the outside. I dislike the amount of space they eat up on the inside (especially in a day pack) when all I have to do is strap it on the outside.

straps
03-27-2010, 01:02 PM
70 OZ/2L Camelbak HotShot in a G1 Scout:

No longer in production, get yours before it's too late:

The Insulating/Protective sleeve goes almost all the way to the top of the Scout...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/norgeboy/f10a245a.jpg

But as you can see, with the top lid closed/nearly closed, clearance is not an issue...

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c279/norgeboy/b7927e02.jpg

Dan97526
04-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Perfect, Straps. Much appreciated!

I found the 2L Hotshot on clearance at Botach Tactical for $19.95 if anybody is interested.

straps
04-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Perfect, Straps. Much appreciated!

I found the 2L Hotshot on clearance at Botach Tactical for $19.95 if anybody is interested.

Glad to help; tell us how that works out for you. Botach is known for an uneven record on individual purchases (as opposed to large agency orders, which they excel at).

ppfd
04-04-2010, 04:22 PM
I would highly highly recommend you at least google Botach and stay away from them. Spend the few extra bucks somewhere else and save the head ache.

Another option is the Camelbak "unbottle". I have a 70 oz. model, its the civillan version of the hotshot. No tube insulation, PALS, MOLLE. Other wise the same. Campor carries these and runs sales all the time.

Check out http://www.gearzoneproducts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1918

Not sure of the dimensions of the overall package though. I have bought from these guys with excellent service.

Ebay is an option as well.

tyuio
04-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Well i wish i had done a bit of searching before i placed my order. I'll let you know how it goes as well. Wish me luck !

Dan97526
04-05-2010, 12:38 AM
I'll report back on Botach. Their tracking indicates it's scheduled to be delivered 6 Apr. We'll see. I try to avoid buying from internet drop-shippers - too much of a crapshoot. But I jumped on the low price and "clearance" status without doing my homework.

Dan97526
04-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Botach delivered, on the promised date.

DavidLewis
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I know Botach has a spotty reputation, but I've never had a problem with them, even when dealing with returning a wrong item shipped in error.

YMMV

David

Aimless
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Botach made promises of having turned over a new leaf and became a dealer on a website I help run. They lasted a couple of months before it became obvious that they still had problems filling orders on time and properly.They ceased being a dealer.

If it's something they have cheap and you don't really need it right away it may be worth a gamble. I would not order something for them that I really needed right away. Well, I won;'t order anything from them, but certainly avoid trying to get something time sensitive from them.

andyoz
04-08-2010, 04:42 AM
How about a pair of Source 0.75L kangaroo bottles (tactical tailor do molle pouches) to go on the sides/omibelt? They can be used as canteens as the tubes unclip.
Personally not tried them yet but I'm thinking of adding them to my belt and Source kit is very durable. I have a couple of 3L and 1L bladders for several years, all going strong and taste free. The widepaks sit quite well in the slot pocket of an E&E.

ZKB
04-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I went with Straps recommendation for the Camelbak 2L hotshot for my E&E and also ordered with Botach for the the $19.95. it arrived a few days later as promised. The only down side was that some other items that I tried to order from their website turned out to be "not in stock".

tyuio
04-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Botach delivered on time only took a few days. I'll be a bit more careful in the future with them, but for the 2L hotshot for 19.95 (also gave he 10% stimulus discount listed on their site) the deal went really smooth. Looks like a great item, usually use nalgene bottles, platypus bags or stainless bottles but i waned to give a bladder a try again.

Steel314
04-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I just ordered 2x Hotshot 72 ozs from Botach because of this thread and the fact that they are discontinued.

I got the ship confirmation and tracking number the day after order. My complaint is that they advertise a lot price and then charge 20 bucks for shipping....

mtnkid
04-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Sorry, been gone from here for a while....this probably comes too late to help you guys out.

In my G2 Scout I have a "low profile Omega reservoir" that holds 72 ozs. Got it online for $30. It is from the Camelbak military line.

It was listed as:
CB-90342 CamelBak 72 oz/2.1L MG Omega Reservoir, Low Profile

V/r
mtnkid

rhunter424
05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Sorry, been gone from here for a while....this probably comes to late to help you guys out.

In my G2 Scout I have a "low profile Omega reservoir" that holds 72 ozs. Got it online for $30. It is from the Camelbak military line.

It was listed as:
CB-90342 CamelBak 72 oz/2.1L MG Omega Reservoir, Low Profile

V/r
mtnkid

mtnkid: How long is the hose on that? Is it as short as it looks from the pictures? I don't think it would even reach up over my straps.

spoolup
05-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Its a full length hose, it tucks into the pouch deal for storage etc. I also have 2, bought mine off of ebay for 25 delivered. Cant complain.... other than the fact of pulling the bladder from the pouch is kind of a PITA.

mtnkid
05-12-2010, 10:11 PM
mtnkid: How long is the hose on that? Is it as short as it looks from the pictures? I don't think it would even reach up over my straps.

Ryan,

As spoolup says, the hose is plenty long (tee hee). The size of the bladder is just perfect for the Scout.

mtwarden
04-17-2011, 11:18 AM
here's what I've come up with for possible options w/ the Scout

camelbak omega 72 oz 13.76 x 8"; 7.25 oz
camelbak long-neck 50 oz 12.09 x 5.88"; 4.75 oz
msr hydromedary 70 oz 17 x 6.5"; 6.5 oz
msr hydromedary 87.5 oz 14.5 x 7.5"; 6.7 oz
platypus big zip 60 oz 14.75 x 7.25"; 5.5 oz
platypus hoser 60 oz 11.5 oz x 6.75"; 3.4 oz

BuckarooMedic
04-17-2011, 10:38 PM
I've found that the "newer" Camelbak Omega Water Beast 102oz bladder fits really well into my Scout (and my Marauder BTW). This bladder has a baffle in it that makes it less of a tube shape and more flat. Plus, it seems a little shorter and wider than the standard three liter Camelbak bladders.

Take care,

mtwarden
04-18-2011, 07:29 AM
^ nice- the 102 oz one is 15.5 x 8.8" :)