PDA

View Full Version : Dry bags for G1 Zulu

Cpl Punishment
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Hey guys.

I've always liked to line the main compartment of my rucks with dry bags. Living in a swampy morass like I do, things get very wet, very easily.

I've been packing my stuff in smaller dry bags, but recently changed around the equipment I carry, and one of the items is as long as the bag is tall (to the top of the PALS webbing) and I'd like to get a dry bag that will fill the entire main compartment.

The sites I've gone to tend to only give volumetric dimensions of their bags.

Does anyone know of a good dry bag that is a little larger in circumference than the G1 Zulu, and at least 20" tall when closed down?

sab
03-07-2010, 09:43 PM
I use a Sea to Summit Large Ultra Sil Pack Liner in my MMR. It's considerably taller than it needs to be, but the elliptical cross-section fits the pack perfectly.

Scott

Cpl Punishment
03-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks, I'll look into them.

ETA: looked them up, they seem to be classed by volume. Is the 70L the one you're talking about?

spoolup
03-08-2010, 01:25 AM
90L is large, the 70 is Med....

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/5

sab
03-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Yes, the 90L one is the one I have. Like I said, it's much longer than necessary, but since it's a dry bag, I just roll the top over and over until it's the length needed.

Scott

Cpl Punishment
03-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Gotcha, thanks.

noflushbandit
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I know you have a G1, but I have a G2 Zulu, and have a SEAL line ILBE pack liner that I bought a while back in the 56 liter size. I have my zulu packed with it lining the zulu, and it fits the zulu damn near perfectly. Someone posted about these a while ago, and they have a built in purge valve on them. I think they were made for the Marines obviously for the ILBE, but I think its the best liner I have ever used, and size wise it was a nice fit. Just thought Id offer that up as an option for you!

sab
03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Those Seal Line ILBE liners look bulletproof, but they also weigh 3/4 of a pound! I think my Sea-to-Summit pack liner is too heavy at 1/4 pound. I can't see adding another 1/2 pound for a liner...

noflushbandit
03-10-2010, 09:05 AM
haha its true. it is pretty heavy, but I am not running a huge amount of weight in my zulu, so I wasnt overly concerned with it. If weight is a concern, definitely steer clear of this one.

Cpl Punishment
03-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion.

If it fits the G2 Zulu, it'll be just a little big in the G1. The other pack liner is like 4 feet tall, LOL

sab
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Cpl Punishment:

Just keep the weight (an extra half-pound) in mind, too. For me the extra length is much easier to deal with than extra weight. I'm an ounce-counter, and I'll spend a fair bit of money to cut a half pound from my load. I'm not military, though - just a hunter. We old hunters are lazy compared to service personnel. :)

Keep in mind, there are other alternatives available, too. I think Integral Designs makes a fairly good pack liner, too, but I haven't seen one in person. There are also several ultralight backpacking suppliers who sell thick plastic bags for pack liners (very lightweight, but they don't last as long).

Finally, looking back at the Sea-to-Summit dimensions, the medium pack liner, which is only 35" tall, would probably work for the Zulu. Remember, I use mine in an MMR, which is considerably bigger than the Zulu.

Scott

ADK
03-13-2010, 05:49 AM
Those Seal Line ILBE liners look bulletproof, but they also weigh 3/4 of a pound! I think my Sea-to-Summit pack liner is too heavy at 1/4 pound. I can't see adding another 1/2 pound for a liner...

They are also VERY expensive.

AK_Spray
03-13-2010, 06:39 AM
I have the Integral Designs Pack liner. Its nice and it's made in Canada not china like most silnylon gear. I have it in my Arc'Teryx Tango and it fits perfect. Its very light material but it seems pretty tough. Itís super silky too. If you use nylon stuff sacks with it you can slide them in and out with ease. I store my tent poles in my pack and they come out and go in without a hitch and haven't put a hole in it. I bought the large. Here's a link to it at basegear.com they have the best price and is here in America. They have a perpetual 20% coupon you can use on it along with free shipping over $50. Shipping is super fast. I live in Ohio and most of the times I get it next day if I order smaller items and I think they are in Washington State.

http://www.basegear.com/integral-designs-silcoat-pack-liner.html

Take-a-knee
03-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Unless you are a SEAL getting ready for a submarine lockout op, I don't see a need for anything more than a Hefty trash compactor liner and a couple of rubber bands.

AK_Spray
03-13-2010, 11:34 AM
It's nice if you don't use a pack cover or in the case of the person that asked the question. Really a pack cover is a better idea it can be used for more that just a cover. The problem I have is there isn't one that light enough to carry but strong enough to withstand snags in the backcountry. Color is another problem they are either a bright color or black. I'd like to have green or coyote. Sorry for the off post topic :).