PDA

View Full Version : Ramble with a string of goats

Patrick
02-22-2010, 06:31 PM
Hauling in a week's worth of gear the easy way. Easy for us. The goats begged to differ.

Part I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCFvUt0XZso

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxoxSM3DWGs

Ralph
02-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Looks like a great trip. Sure wish I could have been there. I've packed in with horses and with burros but never goats. The goats do seem to be very agile in snaking around the obstructions.

Whitepalm
02-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Any concerns with packing goats into sheep habitat? I couldnt do it but maybe there are no sheep there, sure is a beautiful spot. Im seeing more guys with goats around here, sort of makes me nervous.

Patrick
02-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Hi - please note that Part 2 has been uploaded.
Patrick

snakey2
02-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Great videos of a wonderful trip. Thanks for making me jealous.

flamingo 7
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Amazing watching the goats navigating the rocks, which prompted my wife to ask if they all made it home or did you enjoy a bit of supplemental protean? Well done!

Patrick
02-23-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi fellows,

Maggie is still putting segments of this trip up; she's been coming on and announcing them, piecemeal, and signing off as me. This is really me this time.

There are still some more elements coming, so check back a time or two.

The trip was in July of '09. Herb, Sawtooth and myself as the people. Herb's goats. He's a commercial breeder. I hope he'll come on here and provide his email address for the goats, and answer any questions about goat specifics (such as Whitepalm's).

Lastly, flamingo, we have done a lot of Goat Packing--Herb and myself, and Sawtooth too. Yes, the subject of food on the hoof, if necessary, has been discussed. Milkers too. In short, many thorough Rambling discussions about goats as transport and food. Endless Ramble sorts of discussions, if you will.

But this time all the little rascals made it home! <grin>

Herb
02-23-2010, 05:21 PM
Certain strains of Pasturella are the concern, are goats carriers and a risk, testing continues. Goats have been a pretty "minor" species, so not as much research has been done, compared to cattle and sheep. Domestic sheep are well known carriers and goats are often wrongly lumped into the same catagory as sheep. Pasturella spreads by contact of nasal fluids, so they're going to have to touch noses or sneeze on each other, and I just don't see that happening. Early testing indicates there's little risk of transmition from goats, but myself and many others would be happy to have a more definitive answer.

Here's a couple links on the subject:

http://www.napga.org/links.asp?PageID=3&LinkID=228&menuID=

http://www.napga.org/links.asp?PageID=3&LinkID=229&menuID=

As with any packstock, be sure they're healthy and work to minimize their impact. The increase of meat goats and goats being used for brush control is increasing the awareness of goats as their own species, and not just lumped with sheep. I'd expect expanded research as their presence grows.

Lab-Roamer
02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Interesting.
I never thought of goats as work animals but after watching them in the vid there pretty amazing. It looks like you didn't have to pack in any feed for them either????
Also, they can carry 50lbs????

Whitepalm
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks Herb for posting the links. I know around here there are more concerns regarding Dalls and their lack of contact with domestic livestock. I think our sheep are more susceptible because of it.

Ed C
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Good camera work Saw. Colorado scenery is amazing. No way them lazy goats can keep up with a mule.:p

Herb
02-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Whitepalm,

I understand the concern, I'd hardly want, nor anyone else in the goat packing community, to have a packgoat to be the cause of harm to any wild population. Until better research can offer more clarification, I'd certainly recommend all efforts to avoid any direct contact. A controlled pack string is much different than a free ranging herd. As seen on the video, the goats are either tethered or with us, little chance of any direct encounter with a wild population.

oktec60
02-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Those vid's looked like you all had an incredibly fun trip. :) Thanks for showing them, except now, I REALLY wish I had some mountains around here to go spend a week in chasing 16" cut's.:rolleyes:

oktec60
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
How do you deal with a potential predator problems with the goats?

Herb
02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
How do you deal with a potential predator problems with the goats?

Glock 10mm.

Most of my trips are too CO, not had any encounter with a predator.

CCH
02-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Looks like a great trip. Need to hear a gear list though, looks like you had enough stuff to throw a party up there with three guys! :D I can sure see the advantage to goats when it comes to packing creature comforts in and out.

scothill
02-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Damn what all where you carrying? Looks like you got enough for a whole summer let alone a week. I guess that was a pleasant luxury camp.

oktec60
02-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Glock 10mm.

Most of my trips are too CO, not had any encounter with a predator.

How do you arrange for them at night? Do you tie them out someway? Let them wonder? Or just bunk with them?:D

jack
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM
> How do you deal with a potential predator problems with the goats?

I figure with goats handling the bulk of the load, the two-legged
critters could carry Marlin .35 Rems, like the Good Lord intended... ;)

Jack

Sawtooth
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Looks like a great trip. Need to hear a gear list though, looks like you had enough stuff to throw a party up there with three guys! :D I can sure see the advantage to goats when it comes to packing creature comforts in and out.

I gained weight. ;)

Herb
02-25-2010, 08:10 AM
My goats are always tethered at night, if there's a problem during the night, I want to know where they are at. Tethered or supervised, that's my mode of operation, lessens the likelyhood of any encounters with predators and other critters, as previously mentioned.

Between Patrick, Sawtooth and I, pretty well armed group of men.