PDA

View Full Version : Ambush gear

tsette
10-28-2003, 05:38 PM
As a lightfighter and now a mech fighter i have found that ambushes remain the same. The biggest problem besides the mettalic click of switching to semi on your rifle when the enemy is in the kill zone is the need of stayinf warm when you are freezing your ass of in 40 or below weather. My pals in Korea can testify that you take your PUSSY PAD to keep from touching the ground period and even at Fort Hunter Liggett in January it freezes and ou can't wait for the ambush to start. Im wondering if there is a way to have a easy to carry puss pad that would keep you warm why you are waiting for the killing to start.

The item would have to easy to pick up and go, can either attach to a pack or go in one. Nothing fancy just easy to deploy and easy to take without too much effort but it keeps your ass off the ground which is sucking the heat out of you.

WHAT DO YOU THINK????? /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

Mel
10-28-2003, 07:53 PM
I'd like to hear some comments on this topic myself.

Mel

AbnMedOps
10-28-2003, 09:31 PM
This isn't exactly on the Road to Simplicity, but..How about cutting chunks out of a pad, either GI or RidgeRest, and sewing/gluing/making pockets on the front side of a set of BDU's or mechanic coveralls? (leave flex gaps for hard-shell knee pads?)Or make up a set of padded, velcro'ed leg chaps, and tummy and elbow pads? This way, you carry the minimum pad, and can get up and move out fast. I seem to recall seeing a variation on this idea on someone's recipe for the ultimate Ghillie suit. Maybe in Sniper Country.com

AbnMedOps
10-28-2003, 09:36 PM
Or even simpler, just attach velcro/buckle elastic straps to the pieces of pad and fasten to legs and torso..or, field expedient, just use 100 MPH tape (green duct tape). One caution: Test the noise/visual/IR/NVG signature of this material.

tsette
10-29-2003, 03:48 AM
good thought abn but I was thinking for weight purposes something like the size of lets say 4 ft long by 2 ft wide when fully open. it should have a rough bottom with maybe mylar in the middle to keep the heat in(space blanket)and of course a side which would not allow the user to slip off. Tis would be light, thin and could have some attachments for running fishing line to alert others of incoming enemy in area or just some simple pals webbing to attach a small bag or even a claymore bag. It should be able to roll up and attach to a butt pack or of ourse to the pack. If you added 2 plastic buckles you could even attach it to the back side of an LBE belt.

The idea of most ambushes is that once you are finished you occupy your old positions before leaving and that way you can pick up the Multi-functional Ambush Pad (MFAP)on your way out. it doesn't matter if you yourself picks up someone elses because you have your name sewn on it.

pinepig5
10-29-2003, 12:22 PM
what's wrong with taking a cheap closed cell foam sleeping pad and covering it in fabric, like 420d camo cordura. Anybody could make that. I don't know if the pad would take paint, but that would cut out the fabric too and you could just roll it up.

tsette
10-29-2003, 04:09 PM
THe idea is good and I've seen it on ambushes, but I'm going toward a more loose blanket style to keep the weight down. Thats why Im saying mylar and the parahooch material with some sort of nylon top with some sort of abrasive material that wouldn't let the operator fall off.

tsette
10-30-2003, 03:12 AM
You could in a sense use this blanket as an survival blanket as well if it maintained the heat inside, plus it would be waterproof.

NO MORE PUSS PAD

tsette
11-01-2003, 07:14 AM
MM and me are also discussing this on the E&E pack thread if anyone is trying to follow.

LT

sak45acp
11-04-2003, 04:06 PM
I use a car windshield reflective panel as a puss pad in the summertime. Sew one up in a piece of poncho material and it will be camoflauged and fairly waterproof and enough to lay on for most people. Light weight, rolls easy, and cheap.

RangerReject
11-04-2003, 05:16 PM
In regard to the metallic click, the simple solution is to basically hold the trigger tightly while you activate the safety. Basically you don't take the safety off until you are ready to fire. Then when you do, the hammer drops at the instant you want to fire. The "click" is consumed by the high volume of fire from you and your team. Another solution is to activate safety with your support hand thumb and forefinger very slowly, thus controlling the "click" with little practice you can dial it in so you don't hear the noise.

Course I've always been "prone" to use claymores myself, they kinda remove the need to mask the click too. HTH. RLTW.

tsette
11-05-2003, 05:30 AM
Yes I know how to eliminate click, but joe sometimes doesn't care with the idea of train as you fight, fight as you train mentality.

I like claymores as well and 240B to start with, but joe gets antsy when the bad guys are coming.

I like the idea of the winshield cover, but I think a thin piece of mylar with the parahooch material would be awesome.

LT OUT

Razor
11-05-2003, 06:33 AM
If Joe doesn't want to follow orders, especially in the field while training for combat, Joe:
1) gets smoked by his TL/SL until he's glowing, if he's worth a damn, to teach him the error of his ways
2) gets chaptered out by his CoC if he's hopeless, to ensure no one else has to put up with his crap

As for initiating an ambush with an open-bolt fired weapon, I'd leave that as my last option, since the scariest sound in the world to an ambusher is a loud, metallic 'ka-chunk' followed by silence.

Dan
11-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Been using a 3/4 sized Therm-a-rest for a few years now - no problems, never been punctured and rolls up real small. I recommend the Ultralite (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest/performance_series.asp?Action=Ultralite) and Guidelite (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/thermarest/performance_series.asp?Action=Guidelite) pads.

Just my 2 cents /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Dan

rickdog
11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Razor stole mine. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif