PDA

View Full Version : PNW Winter Rondy - Jan 23rd AND Mar 6th

evanhill
12-16-2009, 12:41 PM
So much fun, might as well do it twice!

Jan 22nd - 24th
----------------------------------------------
Same trailhead as last year (outside of Bend), different location. Plenty of flat room for tipis, decent backstop for shooting if desired, a full half mile off trail. 2 miles total from trailhead if I recall properly. You'll need skis or snowshoes. As before, there are plenty of loaners available if you're in need. Come in on Friday or Saturday, or just for the day if you want.

Mar 5th - 7th
----------------------------------------------
Location TBD. Maybe the same, maybe different. Open to suggestions.

Put it on the calendar, PM me to get on "the list" for more specific information, and look forward to a good time.

Here's last year:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/DSC04564edit.jpg

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6979/nwwr200933qx3.jpg

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/182/winterrondynighttipi2ra4.jpg

Jason
12-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Sweet, I can't wait!

Patrick
12-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Evan, I hope to be present for the March iteration!

Bring your Koala. You, me, and Mel have the only ones in existence.

Great times, my friend.

David in OR
12-16-2009, 06:52 PM
Nice. I was bumming about missing the Jan. confab, but now I'm happy to look forward to making the March one and meeting Patrick, too, and maybe trying out a new Koala, assuming they're available in time.

evanhill
12-16-2009, 10:00 PM
I was hoping you could make it out for one of them this year Patrick. In addition to the good company, I'd really like to see your winter gear and technique.

Yep, Koala of course.

Randy
12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
January date is out for me as I will be headed for Dallas for a week-long meeting. March may be doable...depending on the progress of our house sale, search for a new home and moving. Keep me in the loop, but no promises on this end this far out.

christianh
12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm good to go for the 22-24. I have no idea on the other date, haven't looked that far ahead on the calender yet. I have blacktail meat to share for dinner.

Chris

Jason
12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
I turned in my vacation dates. I'm GTG for both Winter Rondies.

SuperBadger
12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Both dates are good for me!

Whitepalm
12-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I afraid the commute is too much, too bad, it looks like fun.

hardworkingman
12-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Im a "newer" member here and have been reading about the good times youa'll have for a while and would love to come. Please pm me the directions to the Jan "bend area" site.
Im a fellow Oregonian. (Albany area)

medic16
12-21-2009, 12:37 PM
Count me in for the 23 January date. My father-in law might be going too.

evanhill
12-21-2009, 03:01 PM
This is starting to shape up nicely. FWIW, I'll have a Koala for folks to look at at the Jan 23rd one.

SuperBadger
12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately I'm going to have to bow out of the January rondy, I got called for a job during that time.

I'd be happy to attend any pre-rondy scouting trips though!

Jason
12-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Now who's going to take beautiful photos of camp? :(

Sorry we won't see you Patrick. Can you make the second one?

SuperBadger
12-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I should be able to make the second one!

oldpinecricker
12-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Evan,

I'd be interested in attending in the January rondy. Typically I use my tent for most outings alone, but I also have an 12man tipi with an large and arctic stove that I can bring along if you fellas need some shelter with an heat source.

Also I'm gtg with an set of skis and snowshoes.

evanhill
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Love to have you Aaron, and yes... we could definately make good use of your 12 man and arctic stove. I'd like to talk hatchet design if you make it down.

SuperBadger
12-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Dang, I am really mad that I have to miss this, especially now that a 12 man and arctic stove might be involved!

snakey2
12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
It is looking like I may be able to make the Jan. one

medic16
01-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have directions to the place yet? I am getting ready to plan my trip over there. Thanks

evanhill
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I haven't gotten around to making a trip into the Jan site to cut some wood and stomp the snow down as of yet. I've got UTM coords for the site, but also wanted to get coords for the turn off from the established trail.

For planning purposes, the trailhead is one of the snow parks within a half an hour of Bend. You'll need a snow park pass. We will go in on Friday. Not necessarily as a group, but people sort of end up coalescing and traveling together depending on when they get there. You can usually tell the difference between the Kifarite and other snow park users. You can come in Saturday if you want as well. The trip in is 1.5 (or is it 2.5?) miles. A half a mile of this is off of the established trail, although the spur trail will be broken trail as well at least to some extent. We'll break camp and head out Sunday morning.

I'm expecting to send detailed Jan directions including maps and UTM coords next week.

SuperBadger
01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I was hoping to at least make it down to help you cut some wood, but unfortunately January has filled up almost completely.

Have fun out there guys! I am anxious to see the new Koala in March!

evanhill
01-04-2010, 12:56 PM
You'll be missed, but no worries on the wood cutting. I've got a new friend with a german name who can provide a lot of help on that front.

David in OR
01-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Stihl........?

SuperBadger
01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
That new friend and a pulk sled should make quick work of that task! I can see it now: a full cord of stove fodder, an 8-man with large stove roaring and a 12-man with the arctic furnace.

Jason
01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
You'll be missed, but no worries on the wood cutting. I've got a new friend with a german name who can provide a lot of help on that front.

I've got a new Swedish friend that could help. ;)

snakey2
01-07-2010, 11:52 AM
It appears that I will be able to attend (I will know for sure beginning of next week). To that end I hope there will be room in a tent/tipi for me to crash so I don't need to bring one. Also unless I can wangle a 4X4 I will be driving my little Toyota which should get me there but not up the hill to the trailhead easily so if I could meet someone in Bend who has room for me and gear for the trip up it would be appreciated. Looking forward to it. PS I will be taking Fri off so could be in Bend almost anytime.

medic16
01-07-2010, 01:47 PM
My father in-law and I plan to be there for Friday and Saturday. Hopefully, the drive down to Bend isn't bad.

evanhill
01-07-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm just hoping the snow isn't wet mush, based on what we're getting right now!

Thom, we can arrange for a drive up from town, no problem.

oldpinecricker
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
Planning on being there with an 12 man and also an tent.

evanhill
01-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Ok guys. The site is prepped. Fair amount of bucked wood, with a nice splitting block ready to go. As to the latrine, well.... you see the posthole digger in the picture? Enough said.

At this point, I think I've sent email or PM with details to everyone who wants one. If you haven't gotten either and want the details, just pm me.

Jason
01-12-2010, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the great work Evan. I can't wait to admire this year's latrine. ;)

evanhill
01-18-2010, 01:13 PM
10" of fresh up at Mt. Bachelor since we went in and prepped the site, so there should be at least 6" of fresh on top of the older base where Rondy will be. More snow is forecast for this week, so we're looking good.

We'll break a fresh trail on Wednesday. Anybody who hasn't gotten specific info, email or PM me.

Jason
01-18-2010, 02:11 PM
Have we got a final head count?

I've got a good beef fajita stew recipe that fills a 6qt crock pot to the rim. Not sure it that'd be enough for more than 5-6 guys though.

disillusionedpatriot
01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
EH,

Tim and I are planning on coming this weekend. Can you PM us both the directions.

Also, anyone else in WA that we could carpool with? We're both on the west side, but could go either I-5 or US 97. We'll leave Fri AM and have to depart Bend early Sunday.

Can you give a gear update?

We can bring an 8-man, stove, etc.

Is there a plan for meals, what to contribute, what to bring...

Also, what type of elevation gain are we looking at?

oldpinecricker
01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
I plan on being in Bend on the 25th (morning). Will have an 12 man and arctic stove and also an Bibler bombshelter tent that will come along for trial.

My vehicle is 4wd Nissan Pathfinder and I'll probably have enough room for two other passengers if anyone needs a ride if'n we need 4wd capability.

oldpinecricker
01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Sorry all, I put the incorreect date down. Arrive at the 22nd and anyone is welcome to use our tipi if you don't have an shelter.

evanhill
01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Guys, that makes 2 12 man tipis that will be on site. Kevin B's loaner has 3 places spoken for.

singleshot
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Evan,
That's what we like to see, the skis being used and the snowshoes in the sled.
We have 18 inches of snow at the Colo. rondy site. Last year we
had over 30 inches.
Have fun guys.

evanhill
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Singleshot, we all know that skis are for traveling and snowshoes are for working! There is around 4 feet of snow up there right now. It's a no-go for working around camp without any flotation at all.

Jason
01-19-2010, 05:49 AM
I was going to bring my 4man tipi, but given the fact that some huge tents are showing up, I may bring my Paratipi instead.

I'm planning to bring Logan Bread, fajita stew, Black Butte Porter, and a 5gal water jug.

Also my .45 Bisley Vaquero and a .22 or 2.

evanhill
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Final update.

We went in this morning, broke trail, and stomped out a tent platform. There is about a foot of fresh on top of the older base. Skiing conditions are great. For those of you on snowshoes, well.... let's just hope the trail we broke helps with flotation. As a reminder, don't walk on the ski tracks on the main trail with your snowshoes. I don't care, but lots of folks run skinny little skis incapable of dealing with some chop. Once on the "Kifaru Trail", feel free to walk right in the ski / pulk tracks.

Speaking of the "Kifaru Trail", it is marked (in addition to our ski tracks). See the picture at bottom. The Kifaru emblem can be seen from the main trail if you're looking for it, but would probably be missed otherwise. Also, the Kifaru Trail splits in a couple of places. Either fork is fine, and they rejoin within a few yards.

Just to throw it out there, this area is off limits to dogs during the winter, unless they're pulling a load.

Weather forecast:

This Afternoon: Scattered snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 34. South southeast wind around 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 26. South southeast wind between 16 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 32. South wind between 14 and 16 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Thursday Night: Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 26. Southeast wind between 13 and 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Southeast wind around 9 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Friday Night: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 22. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Saturday: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32.

See you all there!

Wanderlustr
01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Beautiful pics. Your killin' me here. Maybe Mar 6th will work for me but that forecast and description sure look ideal.

SuperBadger
01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
I am really sad to be missing this one :(

evanhill
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
This is shaping up to be the best set of snow conditions we've had for one of these so far. No thaw freeze cycle for the past few days of snow nor for the foreseeable future, temps about as warm as you can get without thawing, powder load not so huge as to deter ski travel. There *is* a puget sound contingent driving down. Maybe you and Allen need to say "to heck with it" together. Just saying...

Bushcraft
01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
I'll look out the airplane window while I'm heading southeasterly to the investment/risk management course I'm helping teach a portion of, and raise a toast to all you fine gents. Wish I could have made it, but sloggin' through the snow with ya'll just wasn't in the cards for me this year. Gotta stay way ahead of the time curve if I'm planning on taking most of September off to run around the backcountry with a few of you.

It is coming up on the end of January, which means the Mother of all Kifaru Rondy's is on the horizon. Nailing down that particular weekend early is gonna be muy importante for this one legged ass kickin' contestant!

Wanderlustr
01-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Tim thanks for the offer but I'll have to try to hit the next one.
Trouble on the message board and my PM's are all messed up.

medic16
01-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Looks like I am out of this Rondy too. Hope you guys have fun.

scothill
01-22-2010, 07:08 AM
For those driving in we have snow on the ground here in Bend so drive careful and see you all in camp.