PDA

View Full Version : Would Kifaru make shoulder/messenger style bags?

KDOG
12-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Looking at other brands messenger bags I was thinking about how awesome it would be if Kifaru made one. I know I would snatch one up in a heartbeat. If I were to design one it would be between 13-15 inches long by around 10 inches tall by about 4 inches thick with Molle/PALS all over, front, sides even back. One thing I would definetly want is someway to protect the bottom so a rubberized bottom would be on it or even better, a removeable "skid plate". Also I would want a hi-viz liner inside for easier viewing, like yellow or orange.

Waddya think? Is this something Kifaru has contemplated or would be willing to try?

Super Chicken
12-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Man that's a great idea! I have a Timbuk2 bag from my old road racing days that is my most used bag. Having a Kifaru one would be better than syrup and butter on pancakes.

David in OR
12-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I concur. It'd have to have a 15" laptop pouch in it for me to give up my Timbuk2, though.

KDOG
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Great! Lets' badger er... "politely suggest" to the powers that be at Kifaru to make one! No extra pockets and such on the outside as well, just the webbing. The only think I would want on there is possibly a zippered slip pocket on the lid, front or back. On the inside it should be padded all around and just a pocket in the back (possibly padded for laptops) and a slip pocket on the front wall. Nothing else. Just keep it simple and let people add pouches if they want... However, a grab handle would be good too.

David in OR
12-07-2009, 05:42 PM
I like it! The only thing I would add would be some kind of non-slip surface on the inside of the shoulder strap.

051F
12-07-2009, 06:19 PM
maybe if kifaru had an 'urban' department...

i never understood the functionality of messenger bags, it would seem their design and function go against the grain of the kifaru mission statement?

Mel
12-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey guys, I can tell you up front that there are no messenger bags planned anywhere in the near future. There are so many messenger bags out there with all the features you listed already. It seems like a zillion manufacturers are producing messenger bags. If we do get into EDC/messenger type carry bags, they would have to be different from anything else out there, as that is what we do best.

Mel

Super Chicken
12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
maybe if kifaru had an 'urban' department...

i never understood the functionality of messenger bags, it would seem their design and function go against the grain of the kifaru mission statement?

It would be a great sub rosa way to convert the hippie types to the awesomeness that is Kifaru:)

rob.balaguer
12-08-2009, 01:40 AM
Come on guys, no one ever heard of the XTL? Slap one of kifaru's fatter straps (like the TG has the option to add) on it and you might be well-over good to go. The XTL can hold a lot if you let it- I wouldn't have a Zulu without it, however I'm thinking of ordering a normal lid for when I don't need the extra space. Just putting it out there.

SnWnMe
12-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Hey guys, I can tell you up front that there are no messenger bags planned anywhere in the near future. There are so many messenger bags out there with all the features you listed already. It seems like a zillion manufacturers are producing messenger bags. If we do get into EDC/messenger type carry bags, they would have to be different from anything else out there, as that is what we do best.

Mel

And there are zillions of backpack makers out there too so your first point is moot.

I can see how Kifaru may hold out on a messenger bag until they design something will break all messenger bag paradigms though.

KDOG
12-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hey, well a guy can dream can't he? Basically a malice claymore that is wider and thicker would be cool and could be used as such....

AndyL
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
couldn't you use a tailgunner? maybe add an organiser

sovereign
12-08-2009, 04:22 PM
couldn't you use a tailgunner? maybe add an organiser

Exactly. A TG2 will carry a laptop and more. Add an Organizer on the front and you are GTG.

KDOG
12-08-2009, 06:23 PM
Actually thats not a bad idea. However I was hoping to keep its price a little lower than that. However, you have me thinking that the TG II is just about perfect for that.

Pocket Lint
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Reading this thread reminded me of this messenger bag I've been eyeing for awhile but never really "allocated" funds towards one. I actually heard about it here on these forums I think awhile back. Anyways, it's an Emdom USA/MM collaboration called the "TNT" bag, or Tactical-Non-Tactical bag. Here is the link:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=58

For $275 its pretty expensive for a "messenger" style bag, but I think its custom made out of the same materials and craftmanship as Kifaru, so I would be willing to pay that amount.

David in OR
12-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Maybe I'm not understanding the TG concept, but the thing about a messenger-type bag is that you throw it over your shoulder and go. Boom, done. It's a quick on-and-off, in and out of the vehicle thing.

I'm using a small Filson field bag for my EDC, moving contents to my Timbuk2 when I need to carry the laptop. If Kifaru changed its mind and made something (larger than an XTL) like this, I'd buy it.

David in OR
12-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Reading this thread reminded me of this messenger bag I've been eyeing for awhile but never really "allocated" funds towards one. I actually heard about it here on these forums I think awhile back. Anyways, it's an Emdom USA/MM collaboration called the "TNT" bag, or Tactical-Non-Tactical bag. Here is the link:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/servlet/emdomusa/Detail?no=58

For $275 its pretty expensive for a "messenger" style bag, but I think its custom made out of the same materials and craftmanship as Kifaru, so I would be willing to pay that amount.

Yeah. This looks really good.

GlennGTR
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Dont forget a pocket for your side arm,ammo,tool and blade.

David in OR
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Glenn, would you ever carry your pistol off-body, in a bag? If so, why?

KDOG
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah that TNT bag is awesome. I especially like the TDU Grey color, which more bag makers would adopt that color (hint, hint)

KDOG
12-08-2009, 08:39 PM
Now you guys got me think of selling off my G2 E&E to get funds for a TG II. I don't think I will though. I've been thinking of ditching my big laptop for something smaller like a netbook anyway. So maybe I can go back to a malice claymore with organizer on the front. (I had a mal. claymore and sold it - dumb). A netbook should have no problem fitting in one. If I need to go bigger I can just break out the E&E...

Brotzie
12-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Just to give an idea of size:

My .gov.uk-issue laptop just fits into my E&E, and it's got a 13.3" screen.

Mt home laptop has a 15.4" wide screen and fits perfectly into the Cargo Chair stowage pocket on my Zulu.

BuckarooMedic
12-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Kifaru already makes a pack that one can use as a "messenger bag", it's called the Scout.

If u really want a good, American made (Emdom products are made in Hong Kong as I recall), messenger bag; get a Chrome bag. They're out of SF CA and really make a great product. Been using one of their bags as my dedicated motorcycle/school bag for about five years now and it still looks new.

I'm with David in OR, why would one carry a side arm in a bag and not on their person? Just wondering.

Take care,

noflushbandit
12-09-2009, 09:17 AM
So I have both the E+E and the G2 Malice claymore. I have used both to carry my netbook around, and they both work awesome. The claymore has great internal organization and fits my dell netbook with plenty of room for an external hd and everything to go with it (comfortably with room to spare). The E+E does the same minus the internal organization, but I have a lock and load and a chamber to do that for me. I think everything that went into the G2 claymore made that one of them most versatile pieces I have ever owned. I go to it for everything. Just my .02 though.

+1 on the chrome bags too. i have had one since hs and it still is ticking now. thats the way to go for a true messenger bag

SnWnMe
12-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I can see why sometimes it is preferrable to carry a pistol in a bag. It is easier to unload a bag than a belt gun w/ holster and ammo carriers if one were say to enter a public building or other places where CCW is not allowed. Another situation I can think of is that if the manner of dress appropriate for the situation precludes carrying IWB/SOB/shoulder etc.