PDA

View Full Version : Longest outing with a Late Season.

GlennGTR
12-05-2009, 03:31 PM
This may have been asked before but I was curious as to what your longest outing with the Kifaru Late Season pack has been? Also what modifications have you made to expand on its capacity and use?

CCH
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Sawtooth has done some pretty extended trips with his. Pods are the best bang for the weight for expanding it. I used a medium on mine to carry sleeping bag and pad but never used it for more than two or three day excursions.

Ken
12-05-2009, 05:55 PM
I can get a week out of my Siwash with a Small and Med POD, and two hunting side pockets.

Packlist is here...

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=19849

I've used my cousins LS before and have a decent idea on what they can carry. With some more compact gear than mine, specifically my DLX 9 and SS cookset, you should be able to get close to a week.

What are you packing for a Shelter? Bag? Pad?

colohunter303
12-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Havent actually done it but i set mine up with a weeks worth of food and everything one time just to see if i could. I have done three days before without additional pockets. I usually put a side pocket on the top just so i have the "need right now" stuff close at hand.
I pack pretty light and compact though.

steveb
12-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I have the Pointman (tac version of LS). It really depends on the type of gear you will use. If you are carrying your own shelter/sleep system, I'd say 5 days max in summer, but IMO, it's best suited as an 'overnight/weekend' pack. The longest I've used mine for was a 3 day in summer. For winter, it's best used as a large day pack (multi-day ok if operating out of a base camp).

Sawtooth
12-07-2009, 11:45 AM
GlennGTR,

The longest solo I've done with a Late Season/medium Pod is over a week, I think. I can't give you the exact number of days without looking through some journals. I've been out longer than that, but I returned to my vehicle to resupply food. I've also done some trips with Patrick that have lasted around five days, and I carried a medium stove and tipi poles to share. He carried the 6-man tipi.

All I do to expand the Late Season is add a belt pouch, which is ALWAYS on it, and I add a medium Pod when I need to. Without the medium Pod, I can go about five days if I try real hard. Once I did a rather long (a relative term) trip where I carried both a Cargo Chair and a Pod. That was a week of rifle elk hunting. I think that year I posted a photo of that load on my back, and can post it again here when I get home.

Obviously, the length of time you can ramble with a Late Season during the summer, or any pack for that matter, is determined mostly by the amount of food you have to carry. Minus the food, my load doesn't change hardly at all between a two-day trip and 8 days during the late spring, summer, and early fall. With the possible exception of toilet paper. ;)

Late season (snow, cold) big game hunting here in the Rockies will change your load quite a bit. Bulkier clothing, bigger shelter/stove, etc. That's when I switch to my Longhunter.