PDA

View Full Version : CO Winter Rondy 2009-10

Jon S
11-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Who is up for another CO Winter Rondy? January seems like a good time for #1, any requests for weekends that would work.
I have created a very simple collating tool, click this link and select away.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dG9XZW4yNGxHc2xSMTZpQ1BjMXFRY0E6M A

Went up there this weekend to do some scouting, heard reports of a big bull moose in the area and needed to check it out.
Didn't see the moose, but did some work for the winter trips to come.
Not much snow up there now, but by January or February, it should be deep enough that we have a hard time finding these. I hid one tree in a tree well, another behind a few downed ones and tried to cover the big one with some brush. Who wants to help burn these stacks down? Might take two or three rondies, bring a splitting tool, beetle kill pine should split nicely.

Sawtooth
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Only Feb 13-14 will work for me. Matter of fact, I can turn that weekend into a four-day excursion, because Feb 15-16 are our winter break at school. Thanks for going up and caching the wood, Jon! I think singleshot owns the old faithful splitting axe.

singleshot
11-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Jon, Thanks for doing all that work.
Do you think that is enough wood for the 24 man tipi with two arctic stoves?

Jon S
11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
It wasn't really work, I call it fun, some call me delusional.
Minda says we don't need the 24 man if only 5 of us have the (she stumbled for the words here, then decided on) cohones to go brave the cold.
That's right, my 5' tall wife just called lots of folks out. Let's get enough folks to fill that 24 man up, only concern will be set up space, singleshot, think our spot is big enough for the 24?
Some of that wood has to keep my medium or large stove cranking as well, especially if we do it Valentine's day.

singleshot
11-22-2009, 10:07 PM
If only five people come, we can have an indoor exercise area for the pets and an indoor pistol shooting range. What else?

Sawtooth
11-23-2009, 06:24 AM
If we set up the 24 man between the other two tipi sites, there's probably room. But not room for much else!

CCH
11-28-2009, 05:29 PM
I put in the one weekend that I currently know will work, the first one to choose. Student teaching starts the 18th of January and I don't know how bad my weekends are going to be at this point. Just trying to survive the next week... not looking good.

Jon, having met you and having met your wife, I'd have to say that if anyone is delusional, it's her. And you need to be very thankful. I'm lucky that very same way. :D

Ermine
11-28-2009, 07:55 PM
I might be up for it? Where is the location?

Sawtooth
11-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Ermine,

You'd have a good time! Sitting on a stump next to a roaring stove in zero degree temps, visiting with good friends is great. So is exploring the lodgepole woods on skis.

CCH
11-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Are snowshoes acceptable or just not cool enough?

Jon S
11-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Ermine,
Just a few miles north of Silverthorne area, would love to see you there.
CCH, Snowshoes are cool enough for my wife to bring, you would fit in just fine with 'em as well.
Still waiting on more responses, I don't think I can do the Valentine's Day thing again, when presented to Minda, she said, "We spent last Valentine's in the woods with them, we need to do something different this year." Doesn't look good, but it could be a second/alternate one.
Would love to see 15-20 folks up there, even the NW crowd is invited.

CCH
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Valentine's Day and I'm out. Been married a while and plan to stay that way. ;)

flamingo 7
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
Dang...things that make you go hmmmmmm.......

Scoutin' Wyo
11-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Might I presume that snowmachines are frowned upon?

Sawtooth
11-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Wyo,

Don't make that presumption. BUT, it's not a long ski or snowshoe into the rondy site. It might not even be worth unloading a snow machine for. In less than an hour you could muscle-power yourself into camp with the quads God gave you. And the next day you could venture into the adjacent wilderness. Beware if you bring your machine...the side trail to camp will NOT support the weight of a snow machine. It's a site that only sees skis or snowshoes.

Jon S
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Only 2 responses so far, one for January 9, one for VD,
come on folks, respond so we can set the date.
Let me know your preferences on the poll in the above link.
Any NW'erners planning on coming?

Sawtooth
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Jon, you made that sound kind of risky...I chose VD!

Huntsman22
11-30-2009, 07:33 PM
I'll come if scoutinwyo pulls the generator for my electric blankie (and me) , up behind his sled......

Jon S
11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I only use abbreviations when there is some pun available, sorry Saw.
Uncle Don, you are coming, I will carry the blanket, Patrick and Singleshot will have to carry the generator, though.
Scoutin' Wyo, come on up, last year when we thought there wasn't enough beer, I ran down to cars on skis in less than 15 with no weight, then went to town, grabbed a 12 pack, and made it back up in <15 as well. It was dark and I was mostly running, with little to no weight.
You and your folk are welcome anytime down in CO and we look forward to seeing you. We can get you some snowshoes or something if you need.

Huntsman22
11-30-2009, 07:53 PM
big Jon, Maybe I'll consider coming. But if ANYONE teases me about my gay purple snowshoes, I'll clock 'im......

Sawtooth
11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
I have NON-gay 10X30 Tubbs snowshoes for anyone who wants to use them to access the rondy site. I think my wife will accompany me this time, and both of us will be on backcountry nordic skis. We were going to do a 10th Mountain hut this winter, but hanging out with Kifaruites in a tipi is WAY more fun!

Jon S
11-30-2009, 08:24 PM
As long as you bring the non-gay Miss Kimberly, I doubt anyone will give you a hard time. I have seen you shoot way out and don't want to see if you can hit a moving target or not.
If I manage to find some nordic skis and boots this winter, I can loan out some MSR Lightning Ascents 25 as well.
Let's see who can come when, check the original link and post your available dates.

Ed C
11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
big Jon, Maybe I'll consider coming. But if ANYONE teases me about my gay purple snowshoes, I'll clock 'im......

Purple snowshoes no way
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/WillisMcGee65/doglaugh.gif

http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/WillisMcGee65/SnickerDog2SnagGB.gif

PURPLE SNOWSHOES
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/WillisMcGee65/animated_laughing_kid_on_floor_clr.gif

Huntsman22
11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Awright wiseguy..... consider yerseff cyber tko'ed......

Huntsman22
11-30-2009, 09:01 PM
You coming to this shindig edc? big Jon's my goon squad.......

Jon S
11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I usually charge a fee for goon squad service, but the loan of your rifle seems prepayment enough for one weekend worth of goon squad service.
Ed C, be warned!! Only laugh when Don is way on the other side of that 24 man, in the snow it might take me awhile to get over there and get after it. :)

Ed C
11-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I would come, but I don't think it's safe now! I want to live to hunt another season.:)

Huntsman22
11-30-2009, 09:23 PM
THAT skeered, huh?

Cleve
12-02-2009, 03:10 PM
OK I just responded to the survey. Any of the last three weekends in Jan or first part of Feb work best for me. Need to get the request in for a whole weekend off at least a month in advance, so hope we can nail this down soon. Sounded like you guys had way too much fun last year.

Sawtooth
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
You need to come, Cleve. I haven't stayed up all night chewing the fat, watching the moon, and sipping Knob Creek since we went turkey hunting. :D

Chris57
12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm still kinda wavering about sleeping on the ice.

But if its staying up all night feeding the fire that might be good.

I answered Jon's survey with some possible dates.

If I can make it, I have an extra pair of snowshoes also.

Is the Grand Master coming?

Jon S
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Have heard the Grand Master is looking to try the 24 man out in the winter, would hate to only have 5 or 6 people to fill it, although an indoor pistol range would be fun, the backstop would be tricky, not sure how bulletproof the tipis really are.
The poll so far looks like this
1/9/2010- 2 votes
1/16/2010- 1 votes
1/23/2010- 1 votes
1/30/2010- 3 votes
2/6/2010 -2 votes
2/13/2010 -2 votes
2/21/2010- 0 votes
2/27/2010-3 votes
So far looks like the end of the months work best for more, but not my much. If we do either of the most popular, it would eliminate two folks, one person can only come 2/13-14, another can only come 1/9, but hopefully if we nail it down this week, they could adapt their schedule.
I would like to see as many as possible attend.
Voting booths will close Friday at 7 p.m. or whenever I get around to it on Friday evening, I won't begin tallying votes until sobriety on Saturday kicks in.

Cleve
12-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I haven't stayed up all night chewing the fat, watching the moon, and sipping Knob Creek since we went turkey hunting. :D

I hear you! Of course it was warmer then. But I'm game if you are.

Sawtooth
12-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Cleve,

I'M GAME.

Cleve
12-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Any of you who've been to the site be able to PM me a set of GPS coordinates and basic driving directions? Got a hankering to get out on skis or snowshoes when my daughter comes home for Christmas and might make a day trip out of it just to take a look-see.

CCH
12-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Cleve,

I'M GAME.

I think he meant "gamey" which makes winter camping so nice. :D

Sawtooth
12-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Gamey...yeah, that too.

Jon S
12-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Post weekends available until Wednesday, then a decision will be made. I will veto January 22-23 as our host will be at the SHOT show in LV, I would hate for him to miss it.
Vote often, vote early, have fun.
See you in the hills.

singleshot
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Jon,
Good Idea about Jan 22 and 23.
I'd also hate to see Patrick miss the Shot Show.

Cleve
12-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Funny Singleshot, funny.

My vote is for the weekend 1/30-1/31. But any weekend after 1/17 (except Valentine's Day) would be OK if I can get the time-off request in this week.

Jon S
12-10-2009, 09:11 PM
The votes have been counted, there were 5 for February 27-28, next closest was 4 for January 30-31.
The date has been set, February 27-28 in the hills of CO.
PM me for details and I will get you coordinates of the woodpiles and fairly good directions from Silverthorne, CO.
Sawtooth or Singleshot, refresh my memory, please
I know we go 7 miles up road, then I believe 3 before the parking lot, can one of you verify distance up dirt road for me to parking lot so I can give accurate directions to those interested.
I know the names of the roads, just not publishing for all to see here.
See you in the hills if not before.
Huntsman22, Patrick and I talked today and decided your attendance was mandatory, we will haul up the stuff for your cot and comfortable sleeping.

Based on 4 votes for 1/31, anybody want to do two similar to last year?

singleshot
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Jon,
7 miles then 1.1 miles
Sawtooth has better directions that he can pm you.
I would probably come to the January 31 one also.
Great fun in the dead of winter.

If anyone doesn't want to camp, come up for the day. We'll let you pull our sleds in. Learn how to set up a large tipi with SST pins, split some wood, shoot some handguns, snowshoe or ski, eat supper, walk out the 20 minute walk in the dark. Only one hour to Denver.
Last year Patrick made whole wheat biscuits and casserole. Minda made biscuits the next morning for breakfast. Sawtooth and I skied on my favorite backcountry trail before we went home. Chris 57 and I explored the area behind camp on snowshoes.

Scoutin Wyo- If you come, remember Smokepole and I didn't get any bacon last time. :-)
I agree with Jon, Huntsman 22 would like this.

Chris57
12-11-2009, 02:38 PM
If the Huntsman comes along maybe we could get some good Coyote callin/harvesting lessons!

Cleve
12-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Ok good to have a date. Turned in the time-off request. Just have to wait a whole extra month.

Sawtooth
12-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Great news on the date. I think I can be there!

Cleve
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Good new Sawtooth! I was worried because the rest of us couldn't do what you initially said was your only option (2/13 - 2/14) that we'd miss having your there. Glad to hear you think you can make it!

Jon S
12-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I, too, am glad Saw will be there, will be mighty lonely drinking Old Chub without him.
Who all is in?
Cleve-yes
Jon and Minda-yes
Patrick-yes
Singleshot?
Sawtooth-yes
Chris57-yes
Ermine?
CCH?
Timberline?
Huntsman22-yes
Scoutin Wyo?
Come on boys, and their ladies, step right up to a warm, festive time at the end of February. I will carry in a flask of Glenlivet Nadurra for those that wish to partake.

Huntsman22
12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Take the question mark offa my name, if the electric blankie and associated machinery to keep me warm finds it's way to the camp.....

Sawtooth
12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Jon,

I'm IN. Please delete the question mark! As on all my winter trips, I'll have my snow shovel, and will dig us a new fridge.

Sawtooth
12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
PS: H22...with Jon's Glenlivet, you won't need an electric blanket.

CCH
12-15-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm still a ?. Just don't know what next semester is going to bring yet so it will be a game time decision. H22, I think I've got room in the bottom of my sleeping bag if you want to be useful and serve as a foot warmer for me. Nobody start with the brokeback stuff. My snowshoes are macho black and red and I'm just thinking of a utilitarian, symbiotic arrangement here.

Chris57
12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm plannin on it. I only have one of the best survival sleep saks in the world (the designer told me so), not one of Patricks, which I'd love to have.

Anyway because of said limitations maybe I'll just sit up all night and feed the fire for ya'll.

Singleshot,

Do you remember any bunny tracks up there? That would be the last weekend for rabbits.

Cleve
12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Singleshot,
Do you remember any bunny tracks up there? That would be the last weekend for rabbits.

I was having the same thoughts -- wonder what the snowshoe hare possibilities are. Need to bring ingredients to make hassenpfeffer?

Jon S
12-15-2009, 04:13 PM
There weren't many bunny tracks last year, but who knows, there were some moose tracks a few weeks ago, but it is not moose season.
There is a bull in the area, he might stay around all winter for a few candid photos.
I will switch Chris57 to a yes, especially if he is going to sit up all night feeding the stove, that would be great.
In some earlier post, Saw and Cleve mentioned staying up all night and chewing the fat, so Chris might be off the hook and H22 might stay warm. I might bring up my 6 man for the romantic side of winter camping and won't offer H22 a spot at the end of my bag, sorry Don :(
Saw, I will have a shovel as well to learn the finer arts of fridge making, seems we had it pretty good last year, but could do slightly better. Looking forward to a learning experience and shooting my Model 60 as well.
It will be good to see folks again and have some fun in the woods, handguns were plentiful last year, let's see what others have to shoot, maybe we can convince Singleshot to bring up some hanging steel targets again.

Chris57
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Jon,

I remember you had an special long handled telescoping snow shovel last year. What brand/model was it? Have you found any longer ones?

Jon S
12-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Older Black Diamond one, it was the orange bladed one, bigger blade and longer handle, closest one like it I know of is this
http://www.rei.com/product/745472
Mine has the older round handle and D grip, I like it.
Other one I had was a Backcountry Access Companion shovel, expands, handle holds an avalanche probe, also a metal blade, like it as well, not quite as big a blade, nor as long extended, but is lighter and easier to carry around.
I will bring them both again to play with if you want to practice your refrigerator making.
Be good to see you again, hopefully if you come up at night this time, we will be able to find you and have you to stoke the fire.

singleshot
12-31-2009, 07:11 PM
Tonight the snow depth is 17 inches and the temp. is 9.1 degrees.
Anybody want to go up on skis this weekend?

Sawtooth
12-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I wish I could!

Cleve
01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Well, Singleshot I should have checked in here sooner...

My daughter Jessica and I went up and hiked in on snowshoes on New Year's Day (thanks for the GPS coords Jon!). She's home from Chicago for Christmas and we had to get her a dose of Rocky Mountain wildness before she goes back for her final semester in seminary.

I can report that JonS's piles of firewood are still there and snow cover is pretty good, not super deep but things are pretty well covered and even on the heavily used part of the trail there were no icy spots or rocks poking up to grab skis. There sure were a bunch of "locals" out on skinny skis running their dogs that day -- I think we saw 5 other groups in the few hours we spent and only one (besides us) didn't have dogs with them.

Happy New year everybody! Looking forward to this get together next month.

Chris57
01-10-2010, 10:51 PM
I'm sure glad things are warming up. I'm about 20 miles up the road from the site.

Friday morn -30, Sat -26 and this AM -20. Definite warming trend, thank God for global warming.

How much wood did you cut Jon?

Jon S
01-11-2010, 02:47 AM
It was probably 3 trees worth. Been a little while and i dont' remember, the first post has pics in it, the big pile b/w the two trees is stacked front to back, two deep and covered with kindling type stuff.
There are two about the size of the last one pictured. a little closer to the tipi site.
I might head back up there last weekend in January to do some more TSI.
Thanks for the update on the weather, sounds balmy.

Chris57
01-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Is it just me or have all the times posted gone haywire?

My post about the temps was writen today in the afternoon sometime, not 10:51 last night.

Now I see Jons was at 2:47am today.

Brotzie had a thread about his longhunter top pocket and all those times were wierd.

Maybe its just my puter? Or I've stumbled into the twilight zone...

Edit: For the record I'm showing it's 19:04 Mountain time now.

Edit#2: That would be January the 10th 2010.

Jon S
01-11-2010, 03:20 AM
How many of the folks that can come could go up Friday mid day. I might be able to take a 1/2 day, drive up, set up the tipi and be ready for fun and sun/gun/ski/hike/hunt/etc. on Saturday morning.
Or would most folks prefer to go up early Sat morning?
I could be up for either, but since it is not a long weekend, might be nice to spend two nights with the gang.

Cleve
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Jon --
I may be able to come up Friday. I got the day off at any rate -- still debating what food to bring and was planning on smoking some salmon to bring on Saturday, but might be able to adapt.
---Cleve

CCH
01-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Just to make it official, I cannot go. It conflicts with the oldest's b-day plans. I'm told that my wife is not willing to make a winter camp out part of said plans particularly as they require her attendance.

Jon S
01-22-2010, 09:28 PM
I think Chase would like nothing more than to hang out with a few elk hunters and learn to shoot some other guns. It was not planned for 2/14 for "honey" reasons. Come on man, what better way to spend a 12th or 13th birthday with some guys that have actually killed an elk.
I will work on getting Westy there for entertainment/same age fun.
Hope student teaching is going well.

CCH
01-22-2010, 10:56 PM
I think you might be off a bit on what Chase would like. :D You were there dude. You know the deal. I got a bit confused on the "some guys that have an actually killed an elk" part. Are you saying you'd like to hang out with Chase because he's killed one???

Student teaching is good. Haven't started the real work yet but the teacher is great and the class is good. Learned everyone in the "home" room's names (including most nicknames) by today. That leaves another 60+ students to go. I did display my rookie status when a student tried to read the word "organism" and it came out as something a bit different. I was able to confine myself to a choking sound in the back of my throat while I attempted to avoid dripping coffee from my noise. My cooperating teacher never even twitched. As soon as we had a moment she razzed me about it, correctly reminding me that I need to be ready for anything. Then we were able to laugh out loud about it.

Jon S
01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Would be glad to hang with a fellow elk killer, even if he has more hair than both of us combined.
Too bad you won't be able to make it, I have a similar story of team teaching a class with a great lady. We were discussing the parts of a story: intro, rising action, climax, and resolution. We were reading something with a few story lines when a kid asked, "Can a story have more than one climax?" We both glanced at each other and proceeded as if was not a big deal, of course they can, that is a way an author can keep the reader interested.
About 20 minutes later, we were dying laughing. The fact that neither one of us made it a big deal and no other kids picked up on it was simply amazing for a bunch of sophomores.
We still laugh about it.

Jon S
01-25-2010, 08:33 PM
If we did a roll call now, it would look like this
P_R-yes
tenderfeet-yes
mtnkid-yes
GoneHuntn-if schedule allows
Cleve-yes
Jon and Minda-yes
Patrick-yes
Singleshot-yes
Sawtooth-yes
Chris57-yes
Ermine?
CCH- no
Timberline?
Huntsman22-yes
Scoutin Wyo?

Anybody got any pull with ScoutinWyo, after an article in Eastman's, he needs to come down and recount stories?
I will try and call Ermine and convince him to come as well

The yes folks put us at 11, with ScoutinWyo and Ermine, we could be the lucky 13, if GoneHuntn comes, we could be the magic 14.
Will be good to see folks, I will PM directions closer to the date.
Anybody want to head up this coming weekend for some wood splittin', gun shootin' fun?
I might be able to get up there for a night under the stars and pack down the tipi site.

Scoutin' Wyo
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Anybody got any pull with ScoutinWyo, after an article in Eastman's, he needs to come down and recount stories?
I will try and call Ermine and convince him to come as well

All the pull I need is some hopes of chasin coyotes with the master H22.;)

Cleve
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Well Brian, Jon has H22 listed as a "yes" and I can't imagine he'll ever be averse to calling 'yotes so we'll see you there, right?

But then H22 made some reference here or on FB to moving to MT -- don't know what the timing was on that.

Any-old-how I hope you can make it --would be good to see you and I still haven't made a decision about Wyo pronghorn appliction, so some additional brain picking would be easier face to face.

---Cleve

Jon S
01-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Don is a yes. Brian, you could help carry the extension cord for his generator and electric blanket.
Not sure how many coyotes are up there, but if Don is around, they will come.
Be good to see you as well as I am contemplating the goat tag as well.
Come on down

Huntsman22
01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Scoutin', I'll be there. We can always go up the road to call coyotes. My move to Montana is on hold for awhile.

Westy
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Which weekend is it? The last weekend in Feb?

Jon S
01-26-2010, 08:45 PM
True, true, last weekend in February, come on up Westy and hang with the old guys. I am only 35, so still old compared to you, but then I won't feel like the baby of the bunch.
Be good to see you and drink that beer we have talked about for awhile and maybe do some shootin'.

Scoutin' Wyo
01-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Which weekend is it? The last weekend in Feb?

Yep!

I'm in but if stuff keeps sucking money out of my wallet at the current rate I may have to bale. Vet bills, broken garage door, and wife's tuition this month sure has left the back pocket light. :rolleyes:

I think I have a brave feller to head down there with me, as my wife and son didn't flip cartwheels when I mentioned winter Rondy. Sorry Smoke and Singleshot, looks like you will have to wait for spring to taste the twisted bacon crack.

I plan on heading south Friday mid day to get there and snowshoe into camp before dark. I will bring a suitcase of PBR if someone has sled space. I will also try to bring 100' of extension cord for H22's binky.

Scoutin' Wyo
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
True, true, last weekend in February, come on up Westy and hang with the old guys. I am only 35, so still old compared to you, but then I won't feel like the baby of the bunch.
Be good to see you and drink that beer we have talked about for awhile and maybe do some shootin'.

Dang Jon you are OLD,,,,, oh wait I'm 36,,, Dang Jon your YOUNG!!!

Jon S
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Some days I feel 36, joints creak, difficulty breathing, getting up in the middle of the night to pee, that seems hard.
100' sounds great, will you have enough to make it the rest of the way?
Save some dough and bring something other than big yeller. :)
Although you might want her to get over the pass if it is messy.
The weekend is smack in the middle of CSAP, I am in charge, may or may not be able to take off early on Friday, but will get working on it.
I more than likely will have room for your case, it would be better if it was Old Chub though, I know Sawtooth will help with that stuff.

Huntsman22
01-26-2010, 09:16 PM
Brian, leave the extra cord at the house. I plan on setting the generator right outside the door of the tipi. My 25 footer is enuff. I don't wanna get cold or walk to far to re-fuel at night......

Jon S
01-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Don, I would encourage him to bring the extra, every rondy I have been to with you, you have slept way far away, if'n you snore real loud, we might want that extra 75' of cord so you can escape all our sound sleeping. :)

Scoutin' Wyo
01-26-2010, 09:23 PM
edit:

My wife was reading over my shoulder and reminded me that E-man's school carnival is the evening of the 26th. So I will be at Jessup elementary school from 5:00 PM until 8:30 PM. How hard will it be to find said camp by headlamp?

Scoutin' Wyo
01-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Brian, leave the extra cord at the house. I plan on setting the generator right outside the door of the tipi. My 25 footer is enuff. I don't wanna get cold or walk to far to re-fuel at night......

The snow machine will probably stay at home too Don. So I won't be able to bring your ice shanty, generator, tanning bed, and capiccinolatte machine. Won't even be able to bring the electronic buckin bull so you can show off yer mad skills to the home boys. I WILL have my new S&W 57 with me though!:D

Jon S
01-26-2010, 09:27 PM
If you can follow a road on skis or snowshoes, then turn left at a GPS coordinate and walk 150-300 yds until you hit a tipi or hear my two dogs barking, should be pretty easy.
8:30 in Cheyenne puts you to Silverthorne about 11 or so, then another 15-20 minute drive, then a 20 minute fast walk and you should be there my the end of Friday night.

Based on the overwhelming response, we might not want to all sleep in the 24, I have an 8 and a 6, someone else mentioned an 8, but space might be an issue, not a lot of open ground up there.
With this many folks and staying up till after midnight two days in a row might need another tree cutting run.
Be good to see you again, either late Friday or early Sat.
Old man Wyo, I will have my 60 as well, be some fun plinkin'.

Scoutin' Wyo
01-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I plan on bringing my 4man and medium stove. Packing up the Tundra and will be leaving the big IH iron at home.

Thanks for splitting me some wood Old Man Glowsticks!:D

Sawtooth
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
I wonder if singleshot is bringing the gong? I'll have a bunch of mouse loads made up by then for the Model 60.

singleshot
01-29-2010, 08:03 PM
I think we can round up a gong or two.
Since Jon has a new large sled, he could even bring the
full size ram that somehow ended up in his sled.

Currently 23 inches of snow at the site.
High today 39, low 16, avg. 25.7

Jon S
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM
I am already bringing the electric blanket for H22, the beer for Sawtooth, what the heck are two gongs, throw 'em in. If'n I can't carry them, the second trip is not really that far.
1 month away, let the snow fall or we will melt down to frozen ground.
Might make it up Sunday to cut some more wood as 2 nights with lots of folks will require some serious wood to run 2 arctic stoves.

Jon S
02-03-2010, 07:10 PM
This is an official invititation.
To: Timberline
Details: Come see what we can get into a sled, for instance: Gallons of milk, cases of beer, long-handled axes, frying pans and who knows what else, maybe to include: the car camping style 2.5" thermarests and all of the actual real life pillows that started coming out at bedtime.

Come on Bill, we would love to see you in the midst of winter as well.

Cleve
02-05-2010, 08:50 PM
And another invite to Smokepole -- haven't seen his name on the list. Maybe should PM him, he may not even be watching this thread.

CCH
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Since I can't go, I have a sled if anyone wants to borrow it. Big enough to carry Sawtooth, H22, gongs and beer -- we're talking a keg, right? You pick up.

Huntsman22
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM
dibs on the front slot.......make saw sit in the backseat.......

Huntsman22
02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Somebody hurry up and get aholt of Smokepole and Timberline. Me and Saw can hitch 'em up to pull us on in. MUSH, boys, mush........Gee,and haw......

Smokepole
02-06-2010, 10:42 AM
And another invite to Smokepole -- haven't seen his name on the list. Maybe should PM him, he may not even be watching this thread.

Thanks Cleve. I don't think I'll make it this year, I've been traveling most every week for work, got the RMEF banquet coming up and also hunter's Ed. classes starting in March so free time to get anything done around the house is at a premium. Otherwise, sleeping on packed snow crammed into a tipi with a bunch of beer-drinking, chili-eating guys would be at the top of my list of "must-dos" but......

Cleve
02-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Otherwise, sleeping on packed snow crammed into a tipi with a bunch of beer-drinking, chili-eating guys would be at the top of my list of "must-dos" but......

LOL, point taken. Now you've got me re-thinking. (Not really)

Smokepole
02-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Well, I might re-consider if you're packing curry.

Jon S
02-06-2010, 11:54 AM
If Cleve will bring it to the parking lot, I will carry it, be good to see you Smoke, any word on Timberline?
Come on up the both of you!

Cleve
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Well, Smoke I hadn't been thinking curry, but if that'll get you to come...

Smokepole
02-06-2010, 01:35 PM
It'll get me thinking about it.

Sawtooth
02-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Curry and Glenlivet. What say, Smoke? :D

Smokepole
02-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Sounds like a recipe for heartburn.

Cleve
02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a recipe for heartburn.

Well, that + the wood stove sounds like a way to stay warm to me!;)

Jon S
02-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I am trying something out, here is a link to a spreadsheet so we can see what we need to bring, who's coming, when, etc.
I would hate to have Chris57 hike up again in the night and not be able to find us and have to come up the next morning. If we are expecting him, we will leave the light on for him.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah6zqD5wL75FdGNGWi1ET0loWUU2aTVpdEQxVUlMV EE&hl=en

Click on the link, it allows you to edit and enter information in your row. Please don't delete anything not related to you.
There is a column for sleds, if you need one, maybe someone has an extra and can bring it.
Also a spot for group meals if you want, put the # it might feed and the meal please.
You don't have to save it, it does so automatically every minute or so. After you make changes, wait a minute before closing and it should be good.
Later next week, we will send out directions or coordinated meeting times, etc.

There is probably room for 2 tipis 1 24 and 1 something else) at the site and then some more in a clearing closer to the trail.
Feel free to add more columns for other things if you think they are worthy.
Hope this works, if not, not the end of the world, but would be nice to know who is coming and when.
Looking forward to a fun time in the hills.

Smokepole
02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Well, that + the wood stove sounds like a way to stay warm to me!;)

That's not a comment on your cooking, Cleve, it's a comment on Sawtooth's drinking habits.

Sawtooth
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Drinking habit? I ain't got no drinking habit! I've got an outdoor habit.

Smokepole
02-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Not habit, habits. Look, all I know is that every time I uncork a bottle of Scotch in your presence, in a tipi, I end up with heartburn.

Sawtooth
02-14-2010, 01:17 PM
...and I end up standing in the middle of a trout stream with a headache...:D

Bushcraft
02-14-2010, 02:40 PM
You guys have been jawboning about this for some time. Ya might want to consider amending the title to read "CO Early Spring Rondy 2010".

4,000+ views later - some of which I know are mine from ducking in to see some pics and live vicariously through the perusal of your pixalated wintery adventure(s)...let's get with it already!

;)

Smokepole
02-14-2010, 03:24 PM
...and I end up standing in the middle of a trout stream with a headache...:D

While waving a stick?

Chris57
02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
I would hate to have Chris57 hike up again in the night and not be able to find us and have to come up the next morning. If we are expecting him, we will leave the light on for him.

Gee Whizz... I know I'm slow, but I didn't think everybody else knew it... Maybe you don't remember but I did show up the 2nd time.

I'm thinkin (amazing huh) if sleep space gets tight I'll just head home and let someone from farther off stay the night.

Sawtooth
02-14-2010, 09:05 PM
While waving a stick?

You read Gierach, too? :D

Sawtooth
02-14-2010, 09:06 PM
You guys have been jawboning about this for some time. Ya might want to consider amending the title to read "CO Early Spring Rondy 2010".

4,000+ views later - some of which I know are mine from ducking in to see some pics and live vicariously through the perusal of your pixalated wintery adventure(s)...let's get with it already!

;)

Patience, Bushwhack. We don't have the prolific snow you PNW guys do. We gotta let it build up. ;)

Jon S
02-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Gee Whizz... I know I'm slow, but I didn't think everybody else knew it... Maybe you don't remember but I did show up the 2nd time.

I'm thinkin (amazing huh) if sleep space gets tight I'll just head home and let someone from farther off stay the night.

I totally remember you and your homemade sled, it was great as was meeting you. I was referring to the fact that you came up in the night and didn't find us and we felt bad, didn't want anyone else to have to make two trips to get to drink Scotch with us.
See you in a few days,
Bushcraft, duly noted, title has been changed, we will all meet up in a few days (12 or so) and begin with the tales to be shared here.

Smokepole
02-15-2010, 06:28 AM
You read Gierach, too? :D

Nah, he just calls me up every now and then when he needs an idea for book titles.

Sawtooth
02-17-2010, 05:58 PM
Then you've come up with some good ones.

Smokepole
02-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Yup, not to mention all the times he calls and asks for help with the turn of a phrase.

Jason
02-19-2010, 01:40 PM
Yup, not to mention all the times he calls and asks for help with the turn of a phrase.

All jesting aside, have you met John? I realize CO has more than one stream to fish, but your paths could have crossed at some point.

Smokepole
02-20-2010, 07:37 AM
No, I haven't met him, just read all his books. And found myself wishing I could write like that.

Jon S
02-20-2010, 03:41 PM
PM sent to Tendeerfeet, Scoutin' Wyo, Sawtooth, and Mtnkid on directions, anyone else needs directions let me know, I assume that
Patrick
Chris57
Huntsman22
Cleve
Singleshot
know how to get there.
If anybody else is coming, let me know and I can get you directions as well.
Feel free to update the following link with your name and arrival time if you are coming.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ah6zqD5wL75FdGNGWi1ET0loWUU2aTVpdEQxVUlMV EE&hl=en

Thanks

Sawtooth
02-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Jon,

I've got a buddy coming with me, so you can up the total up to 12. See you Friday after we stop at the second hand store where I bumped into you last year!

Huntsman22
02-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Send me directions, please. And gps coords mean nothing to me......Gotta draw me a map.

Sawtooth
02-21-2010, 09:32 AM
H22,

I'm making you a Google Earth map, and I'll email it to you, along with Jon's previously written directions. Once you're on the trail and get close, it'll be hard to miss the coyote brown 24-man tipi with smoke coming out of the pipe! :D

Jon S
02-21-2010, 11:28 AM
I gave him pretty good directions, get to parking lot, follow the extension cord for his electric blankie, when you can see the tipi, keep going until you can feel the heat.
Thanks for doing the GE map, would you send it to me as well, will pm my email addy.

gonehuntn
02-21-2010, 02:09 PM
It looks like I'll be able to go. There should be lots of snow up there; it's been coming down for the past few days. I'm bringing some extra cut wood, along with my 8-man and large stove. I'll bring my big ice fishing sled as well if anyone needs to make a few trips.

Sawtooth
02-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Glad you can make it!

singleshot
02-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I skied into the rondy site today. My good knee has been bothering me so the main purpose
was to see if I could ski. I am happy to report no problems with my knee today.
This is the main trail. It is used by the locals every day and they do a good job keeping
it packed down.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/076.jpg

The last 150 yards is a different story. Immediately I was in knee deep snow with my
skis on. I followed this game trail to the site.
After today we have a much better trail than this.

[img][IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/083.jpg
I packed down a spot hopefully larger than the 24 man. the snow shoes were sinking 12
to 14 inches.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/097.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/100.jpg
If you remember the picture of my skis from last year, you can see that the snow was about 6 inches deeper last year. The local weather station says 31 inches of snow.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/093-1.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/070.jpg

Cleve
02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Question...
I see a bunch of us on Jon's spreadsheet figuring on sleeping in the 24 man. Some of us are coming up on Friday. But Patrick hasn't logged in there as yet, or made a comment on this thread for a while. So I wonder if he's coming up on Friday as well, or has someone picked up the "big top" or what?

Jon S
02-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I understand that the big man is coming up Sat, I am arranging a meet this week to get the big top, Sawtooth was going to, but I am closer and can gladly do it.
GoneHuntn plans on bringing up his 8 man as well, I might bring one too, but wouldn't mind sleeping in the pre-warmed 24 man.

The big top and stoves will be there Fri afternoon for sure.

Sawtooth
02-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Cleve,

Big Jon is picking up the 24-man and the arctic stove from Patrick sometime this week. I'll haul it in the sled I'm using, and Jon, you, me, Chas, Chris57, etc., will pitch it and assemble the stove on Friday

Ermine
02-22-2010, 04:49 PM
I am unable to go. Bummer. SOunds like you guys are going to have a fun time. 24 man is going to be sweet.

Cleve
02-22-2010, 07:44 PM
Cleve,

Big Jon is picking up the 24-man and the arctic stove from Patrick sometime this week. I'll haul it in the sled I'm using, and Jon, you, me, Chas, Chris57, etc., will pitch it and assemble the stove on Friday

Hope we'll LIGHT the stove too? Or do we have to wait until Saturday to light it? ;)

Looking forward to this! Made a batch of hardtack tonight to bring. Trying to figure out the rest of my food too. I have a big coffee pot -- bring that (and grounds to go with?). Going to bring an Armadillo sled too but don't want to go overboard on weight -- 'course could conceivably do a couple trips... it's not that far in.

Jon S
02-22-2010, 08:47 PM
We will light 'er up for sure, got to stay warm.
In talking to Patrick a moment ago, we were discussing how long people were staying, I wasn't sure, so added a column for folks to update when they will be pulling out. Patrick is talking about staying Sun night and exiting on Monday.
I have to work so will be leaving Sun mid morning.
Here is the link again to update departure time if you would.

Also, anybody got a good splittin' axe, Sawtooth has an 8lb maul, but that violates his whole philosophy on lightweight. He can barely stand the sight of it.

singleshot
02-24-2010, 05:01 PM
Helpful Hint.
Bring a chair.

Chris57
02-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Quick heads up.

Friday noon is looking a little on the iffy side for me. But I will really try to make it happen. I do have Fri off but now I have to work Thurs and that makes 9 long days in a row. So I haven't had much time to gather up my stuff.

Sawtooth, still give me a call like we planned cuz I will be around.

This AM temp was a balmy -20f and it's +10f now at 6:30pm. Supposed to be snow coming in tomorrow, so it should warm up some.

Don't let those Pacific Northwesters fool you, it ain't quite spring.

"Winter stays long this high" Bear Claw Chris Lapp.

singleshot
02-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Up at the site it was only -7 and a high of 25.
Heck, last year we hit -6 no sweat.

Sawtooth
02-24-2010, 09:12 PM
At least we're not down in the valley...I'll be it's at least ten degrees colder down there.

Scoutin' Wyo
02-24-2010, 09:36 PM
I hate to inform Huntsman that I will not be able to provide the generator or extension cord this weekend. Ethan's grade school is having their fund raiser carnival Friday night and Jessie has us heavily involved. If for some reason I'm able to squeeeeeeze it in I will be there with glenlevit in hand.

Have fun fellas, see ya in the spring!!

Jon S
02-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Chris 57, come when you can, always welcome.
Wyo, We will miss you, hope the weekend is fun and your kids have a great time, I will have some Glenlivet for you, let you know how it tastes when the bottle is gone.
Temps sound good for some skiing and shootin' and general good times.

gonehuntn
02-26-2010, 01:45 PM
I'll be pull'n out around 2:30 to try and miss the Fri afternoon traffic in Denver. Make sure and have that 24-man up and the stoves warmed up!

Chris57
02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Well I wimped out first. Had a great time with great folks as usual at any Kifaru gathering. But boy was I cold after the stoves went out! 6am Saturday it was -18f outside the big 24 man tipi. My gear ain't the best, so I elected not to spend a second night. Here are a couple pictures, if I can swing it.

Loading up for the trail.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/chris57k/2010%20Winter%20Rondy/KifRndy1.jpg

Our resident Cowpoke brought a little buddy.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/chris57k/2010%20Winter%20Rondy/KifRndy3.jpg

The 24 man and Gonehuntin's 8 man.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/chris57k/2010%20Winter%20Rondy/KifRndy9.jpg

Chas, Cleve tellin a big windy, Big JonS, Sawtooth and Singleshot.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt54/chris57k/2010%20Winter%20Rondy/KifRndy11.jpg

gonehuntn
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Here are a few more pictures from the Winter Rondy...

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=288

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=287

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=290

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=37&pictureid=291

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=295

http://www.kifaruforums.net/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=293

Sawtooth
02-28-2010, 04:40 PM
The only pic I could take before my camera battery quit. Here's Patrick arriving at camp...

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k112/Sawtooth_1963/Patrick.jpg

Huntsman22
02-28-2010, 07:53 PM
Head 'em up, move 'em out....
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2208-1.jpg

Us snowshoe guys had to ride drag on the herd of skiers.....
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2211.jpg

Settin' up shop...(sawtooth)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2215-1.jpg
(Saw & JonS)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2218-1.jpg

the 20 mule team cargo....(parked)
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2216.jpg

My gay purple shoes were banished from the rest of the gear.....contagious?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2212-1.jpg

Gonehuntin'(doin'the work) and Doug (supervising) setting up the 8 man...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2222.jpg

Chas whackin' wood....
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2213.jpg

cleve..
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2223-1.jpg

Chas...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2225-1.jpg

JonS..
[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2224-1.jpg[/IMG

Smokepole
02-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Did Cleve cook that curry? If he did I'm jealous. If not, all I missed was beer farts and -18F.

Huntsman22
02-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Nah, cleve didn't curry us. But the food was great....Chris57 brought thick bacon, meat sticks and ?.... Chas brought some awesome tamales. Saw brought chili in an AWESOME pot......grin. Cleve had breakfast burritos. gonehuntin' had elk backstrap steaks fried in Chris' bacon grease. Booze was in supply, too....I know I'm forgeting sumthin'.....

Huntsman22
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Couple shooting pics. There was a pair of Smith model 60's, pair of single sixes, pair of ruger 22 auto's, colt woodsman, pair of 1911's, glock 27 (?), smith snubby and something else?

glockin'gonehuntin'
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2228.jpg

Saw...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2231.jpg

big Jon...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2229-1.jpg

chas...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2236-1.jpg

Doug...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c124/huntsman22/guns/IMG_2237.jpg

Huntsman22
03-01-2010, 06:28 AM
Hey, did anyone remember to get Bill's gongs?

gonehuntn
03-01-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm pretty sure he took them when he left. I didn't see them hanging.

Sawtooth
03-01-2010, 07:23 AM
I saw him grab them.

singleshot
03-01-2010, 07:34 AM
I got them.

Scoutin' Wyo
03-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Dang it, I wish I was there. Thanks for the pictures fellas!

I guess I'll have to wait until the spring thaw before I get to jaw jack with everyone.

talk2much
03-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Thank you all for being so gracious. The pictures look great.

Doug...

Sawtooth
03-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Good to meet you, Doug. Welcome aboard!

singleshot
03-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Here is what we had for dinner on Saturday night.
Patrick brought some fresh (slightly out of focus) pico de gallo.
It was very good. He also passed around some that he had dehydrated.

(img)http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/020.jpg(/img)

smoked salmon
(img)http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/021.jpg(/img)
elk steaks
(img)http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/022-4.jpg(/img)
wine
(img)http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/023-3.jpg(/img)
baked beans made down the road in Kremmling, Colo.
(img)http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/025-1.jpg(/img)
last of the tamales
(img)http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/024-4.jpg(/img)

Thanks to everyone for the good food and good times.

singleshot
03-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Another picture
Huntsman shooting his Colt
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb33/singleshot1/015-2.jpg

talk2much
03-03-2010, 06:00 AM
Awe...beer and guns, nothing comes close.

Jon S
03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Who brought that beer up anyway? Seems there was quite a variety of beer and sippin whiskey, Dillon Dam, Pipeline, Bud Light, Jameson, Glenlivet, Wine, ahh the good life. :)
For all concerned with safety, I did not fire a shot or handle a firearm after the beer was opened and a sip was taken, a rule I live by.

Sawtooth
03-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I think everyone knows that I brought the Rocky Mountain Muthu's Milk, as did Cleve. ;) I only shoot sober, too. 'Course, we weren't shooting at midnight, were we?

Otoejet
03-03-2010, 08:44 AM
Fellas,
If I were a little tougher, I woulda made it up for the -18f mornings. As it is, looks like I missed a great time. Just counting the days down until May for the Spring Rondy. Looking forward to seeing the Kifaru crew again. Was Don able to call any coyotes out of the snow for y'all to shoot at?

Chas
03-03-2010, 08:58 PM
So much good food and drink--it made up for the cold nights. (Must get new sleeping bag.)

Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

Sawtooth has my photos for the exhibit he is preparing.

gonehuntn
03-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Gents,

I finally have those lights up on my site if any of you are interested. If I don't have the one you want just shoot me an e-mail. I have some back ordered and they are supposed to be in by mid-March.

Gonehuntn

Timberline
03-12-2010, 02:31 PM
It does look like you guys had another great time.

But I gotta ask...you characters ever think about rendezvousing someplace reasonable WARM during the winter? Or at least warmER?

Chris57
03-12-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree. A nice Holiday Inn would work well for drinkin and story tellin, at least in the dead of winter.