PDA

View Full Version : NW Winter Rondy?

medic16
11-14-2009, 12:04 PM
I was wondering if there is any plan to do a Northwest Winter Rondy? I missed the summer rondy due to army training. I know we are already getting snow in my area.

evanhill
11-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Typically I schedule this for late January. I haven't set a date yet, although I'm open to suggestions. We've got pretty good snow here as well.

medic16
11-14-2009, 02:53 PM
The last weekend in January looks good. As long as its not the first weekend in February.
I am pretty much open to any other time.

SuperBadger
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM
As far as I know I am free as a bird any time around the end of January. Looking forward to it!

GlennGTR
11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
What area were you guys looking to do this Rhondy and what days of the week? I am intrested but am trying to save some leave time for when the baby comes in March.

medic16
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
I am not familiar with all the good areas in the NW as I have only been living here for 2 years.

I know there was talk for a while on trying to do an Eastern Oregon Rondy. There are some good areas in the Eagle Cap Wilderness. There is also a dog sled racing going on in January 16-19 just outside of Jospeph, OR near Wallowa Lake.

http://www.eaglecapextreme.com/

Went to the race and had alot of fun. Here are some photos.
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=16027

I am pretty much open to going anywhere.

evanhill
11-17-2009, 10:37 AM
We have "regulars" attending from Portland, Bend, hopefully Eugene, Baker, and Seattle area.

The first year I tried to split the difference on the south side of Mt. Adams. The problem was that, not being local to that area, I wasn't familiar with conditions and didn't pick a very good spot despite calls to the FS. When we went in during a blizzard, we had the place to ourselves. When conditions let up, we were completely overrun by day trippers out of Portland. It was such a heavy snow year that going off trail any appreciable distance would have required a herculean effort. As it was, we were breaking trail through knee deep snow on the trail itself. I mention all of this just to illustrate how variable the choice of a "good" spot can be.

Second year, we just had it in the Cascades outside of Bend. This allowed me plenty of time to scout and also prep firewood ahead of time. I've already got a better location picked out for this year out of the same trailhead if we choose to go that route. With the exception of the one guy who came from Seattle, this was actually pretty convenient for most attendees.

I think Eastern OR is just too far for most folks -- particularly the north slope of the Wallowas. By far my preference would be the Ochocos. That's very dependent on snow conditions though. Probably my most fun day of back country skiing was in the Ochocos. Probably my least fun backcountry winter trip was also in the Ochocos.

The winter Rondy spot is pretty hard to pick and requires good scouting by a local. What you're looking for is:

- "greatest common good" drive time for attendees
- reliable snow
- reliable (plowed) winter access
- no snowmobiles
- a camping spot out of the way of the day trippers
- low avalance danger
- an access trail that doesn't have the skiers leaving the snowshoers far behind

As always, open to any suggestions or volunteers willing to scout locally.

SuperBadger
11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
I'll say that I was a fan of last years spot- not to say we need to go to that exact spot again, but that area in general seemed pretty good.

I'd be interested in trying the Ochoco's again, seeing as last time it was sleeting and the snow wasn't great.

evanhill
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
seeing as last time it was sleeting and the snow wasn't great.

That would be my least fun backcountry winter trip you're referring to. Now, take the same general area with a foot of fresh snow, blue skies, and daytime temps in the 20s, and you've got my favorite backcountry ski day trip.

snakey2
11-17-2009, 11:11 AM
As long as my schedule permits I am going to try and be there this year. Driving conditions can play a part too.

SuperBadger
11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
That would be my least fun backcountry winter trip you're referring to. Now, take the same general area with a foot of fresh snow, blue skies, and daytime temps in the 20s, and you've got my favorite backcountry ski day trip.

It's also the trip where I spilled the tea kettle INSIDE my sleeping bag....ouch.

I would like to see it in the conditions you mentioned.

Bushcraft
11-17-2009, 09:07 PM
The winter Rondy spot is pretty hard to pick and requires good scouting by a local. What you're looking for is:

- "greatest common good" drive time for attendees
- reliable snow
- reliable (plowed) winter access
- no snowmobiles
- a camping spot out of the way of the day trippers
- low avalance danger
- an access trail that doesn't have the skiers leaving the snowshoers far behind

These outings have always made for some great mid-winter mini-rondy get togethers, even going back to the one that started it all at Stevens Pass.

I'd love to see more emphasis on "out of the way". A little more sweat equity during the journey makes the destination so much the sweeter.

medic16
11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
I am game for any location really. Just looking forward to getting outdoors. I haven't been able to get out to much this year. Might have to use the Rondy as an excuse to get a Kifaru sleeping bag.

widowshooter
11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
I live down here in the Willamette Valley would like to join you guys if you don't mind. Let me know when and where and I will meet up with you guys.

Justin

evanhill
11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
love to have you.

Jason
11-26-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm looking forward to this year's rondy too.

Last year's location was about perfect IMO, all things considered.