PDA

View Full Version : Meat baggie question

Ermine
11-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Can you fit an entire boned out mule deer in a meat baggie? Or would I need two for say a medium sized critter. Thinking of getting some meat baggies. I understand they cant breath and are pretty much just for quick transport, but say if it is cold out could you hang meat in them without spoilage?

Randy
11-11-2009, 07:25 AM
I'd say if you had 2 baggies you'd be good to go on mule deer completely boned out. Use one for your backstraps, tenderloins, roasts and 'better' cuts, use the second for your flank, ribs, lower legs and etc for your grind, jerky and sausage meat.

You can easily hang meat to cool in these bags. If you transport in a cooler for the trip home, just put a few sticks in the bottom to keep the bags out of the melt water from your ice and your meat stays clean, dry and cold til you arrive home.

Meat baggies are awesome for not only meat, but wet boots, clothes, something to sit on, pull over your rifle in wet weather, haul dry firewood...whatever. You won't go wrong with a couple in your pack in any season.

Ed C
11-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Hmmm I can't answer that unless I go shoot a mule deer. I haven't found one with big enough rack yet, but I have 7 pref points for Co.,so next year. Here is an elk hind quarter in each bag. Meat baggies ROCK

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/gunnerratlouski/IMG_0049-1.jpg

Smokepole
11-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd agree with Randy and have two on hand. I've hung boned-out meat overnight and through most of the next day with no problem around 30 degrees, but I got the meat on ice right after that. I've also stuffed one bag as full as I could with boned out meat and it was just about all I'd want to carry.

Ermine
11-11-2009, 12:52 PM
So would one bag work for an entire boned out deer? Dividing the choice cuts from the trim meat sounds good, but if I was to only have 1 meat baggie could I make it? I plan on getting two in the future, but might test drive just one for the time being and see how it goes.

Jon S
11-11-2009, 01:13 PM
If you want to borrow two, let me know, I can get a whole deer in one, but prefer the split as described above.
If you don't still have my #, PM and we can talk.
Should be pretty cheap to ship as they weigh next to nothing.