PDA

View Full Version : Three rings of steel, my foot

Stayangry
10-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Out on a muntjac hunt today.

Morning went OK, spotted muntjac juvenile, fallow pricket and roe family.

Irritating encounter with police at noon.

Evening stalk totally ruined by parts breakage on rifle.

My Remington 700 Police has let me down, after less than 2000 rounds fired.

The bolt stop (the thing that stops the bolt coming out of the action when it is cycled) has failed.

The little release tab was floppy and no longer under spring tension, so I assume that a small part has snapped - it was fine this morning.

Obviously, in theory, the rifle could still be fired safely, as it does not rely on the bolt stop to lock, but I decided not to go ahead.

I did not feel that it was worth taking a risk by firing a rifle that is known to be faulty, especially when the end in mind is purely recreational.

Still, my hunt has been ruined and, worse still, getting a new part fitted is likely to cost me big.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a typical day in Remington Country, or just a one-off?

James

Huntsman22
10-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Isn't the bolt stop on the other end? Away from the '3 rings of steel'?

Bushcraft
10-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Ummm, as H22 has hinted, you might want to relabel the thread to "bolt stop".

I was hoping to see a catastrophic failure when I first saw the title (sans personal injury of course).

elmbow
10-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Short of taking one of my 700's apart, i'll bet the bolt stop is floorplate mounted and probably a five minute repair job and has zero impact on rifle function. Get a schematic (owner's manual?) and order the part from Brownells. Even with post to the U.K, it shouldn't cost over $25 U.S. Anything mechanical is prone to failure I've had to get the little air pump in my "whatsit" implant replaced a couple of times now.

kutenay
10-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Ah, Hertsfordshire! My late grandmother was born at Hempelhempstead, long ago. She came to "the Colonies" here as a "war bride" as my GF. was an officer with 21st Batt.-C.E.F. and was sent home as A.O.C. of a P.O.W. camp, after being wounded at Courcelette and, severely, at a place called "Passchendaele". I have always wanted to visit "Merrye Englande" and hope to do so in a few years, when my wife retires.

I am not a Mod. 700 fan as I have seen them have mechanical glitches deep in the BC bush and become non-functional. I am a "curmudgeon" and STILL hunt with and prefer divers Mausers and Brnos, a Mannlicher-Schoenauer and P-64 Mod. 70s. But, the 700s WILL shoot, no question.

I would see if your local stockist or gunsmith can deal with the royal pain in the arse of getting and installing this part and then decide if you are a Remmy fan. For hunting in the U.K., I would see about finding a continental rifle and a Sako 85 Finnlight in .308win. would be very high on my list.

Higher cost, of course, but, these impress me more than any "modern" design I have seen in my 45+ years of buying rifles and are, IMO, a lifetime investment.

P_R
10-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I had that massive, overbuilt, bombproof, well designed extractor on a 700 fail on me a few times. I don't know how it could possibly have happened to such a magnificent rifle as the 700.

Sold that piece of garbage long ago and I'll never own another one.

Take-a-knee
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I had that massive, overbuilt, bombproof, well designed extractor on a 700 fail on me a few times. I don't know how it could possibly have happened to such a magnificent rifle as the 700.

Sold that piece of garbage long ago and I'll never own another one.

I've seen two magnum 700 extractors fail quickly, within 200 rds. The last was on a friends' 700 Sendero, he had a Sako extractor installed, the factory barrel is still shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA, he's glad he kept it.

In 308 sized cartridges this is quite rare, I've heard change the extractor when you rebarrel as good advice.