PDA

View Full Version : My first bull

colohunter303
10-23-2009, 08:59 AM
This has truly been an amazing year for me when it comes to hunting. I was able to spend every weekend ofarchery season out chasing muleys with my bow. There was plenty of close calls, including one 1/2 mile stock that was blown by a young boy and his grandfather that were lost and walked right into the buck as i was just waiting 30 yds away for him to stand up. Although archery season left me empty handed things would soon turn around quickly.

The weekend after archery season ended my father, brother, grandfather, and I headed up to Wyoming to chase speed goats. About 20 minutes after we got there, we set out to find a high point to glass some antelope. We were still insight of camp and had only been gone for 5 minutes tops when 3 antelope ran straight accross the road in front of us. I stopped the truck and just watched as they ran and ran. There was a small ravine that they were headed for and my brother and I planned to make a run for the ravine as soon as they were out of sight and try to et me a shot. My brother would be carrying a rangefinder and not a rifle. Knowing that shots could get pretty long he would be calling out yardages for me. after our 3/4 mile sprint we found our selves still 150 ydsfrom the edge of the depression. As we were crawling closer the three popped out of the other side. Sitting there frozen waiting for ian to give me a range i took a few deep breaths to calm down. I knew any shot would be really long so i got the bipod on my rifle out and steadied myself. Ian couldnt get a range on the nearest antelope but he could on a rock roughly 30 yds in front of it. He called out 550 and i knew i could make that shot after a summer full of practice. Using my Burris Ballistic plex reticle i set the 500 yd hash at the top of the antelopes back and the 600 yd mark landed right on the bottom of the goats chest. I pulled the trigger and down it went. Didnt take a step. In a haste to not let the meat spoiled we immedietly started to gut the antelope. no pictures. sorry. We loaded it up whole, just gutted, onto a EMR freight hauler and started the mile hike back to the truck.

this is a picture of my brothers doe shot at 440 yds loaded up on the EMR.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/redwingsfan008/antelope.jpg

After that wonderful trip which was made so special because my grandfather was present I only had one weekend off before it was time to chase the Wapiti of the high country. I left fort collins on friday headed west debating where i would be sitting the next morning. I had decided on a ridge that generally has elk running back and forth at the base of it trying to get away from other hunters. Well this year things couldnt be more different. All of the usual hunterspushinggame around were on the backside of the ridge preventing the elk from even entering the basin i was in. I saw lots of deer though but the only hunter in camp with a deer tag was 5 miles east watching a Bull run by at 30 yds. Why is that how it always works out? After a actionless first morning, as far as elk are concerned. We headed back to camp to grab some sandwiches and plan our next attack. I decided to go to an old logging road that i had never been down and see what i could find. A little over a mile or so down the road i came accross a couple guys dressing out a calf bull. After a short talk and hearing the story of this hunters first elk. I headed for a pond they had informed me of.

It was pretty early when i got to the pond about a half mile off of the road. I marked the pond in my GPS as i planned to return on my way out and sit til dark. I found myself in the middle of aspen benches with a small stock pond 200 yds to my right. I relaxed and glassed the ridgelines around me until an hour before legal shooting light ended. saw nothing but some hunters on a far ridge line. I started to still hunt back toward the pond that i mentioned earlier. Going extra slow and keeping a keen eye ahead i was prepared for an opportunity to present itself. I reached the pond mere minutes before dark. As i crested the beaver dam that created the pond i looked up and saw the bull. he was 150 yds away walking slowly accross the opening. I dropped to a knee but the grasss was too tall for a shot. It would have to be an offhand shot. I got the bull in my scope and followed him waiting for him to stop. he hesitated for a second before a log and I let the 160 grain Accubond out of my 7mmWSM fly. smacking him hard through the offside shoulder as he quartered away. The bull had only gone 50 yds when he stopped again and i sent another bullet his way. The second bullet hit just behind the last ribs and quartered forward into the bulls vitals. He dropped in his tracks.

I made my way over to my bull. Reaching him just after dark. I marked the bulls location in my GPS and tied some flagging in the tree above his resting place. He was a nice 5x5 with long beams and lots of character. He has four broken off points so i can only assume he fought hard during the rut. I hightailed it out of there in excitement to get the rest of camp. It was 730 when i left my bull. We were back for pictures and "the REAL work" by 9.

This is my bull, brother, father, and I
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/redwingsfan008/100_0536.jpg

This is the load i carried out on my late season. It is a bone in front shoulder and head of the bull. I am assuming weight to be around 80 lbs. it carried pretty well in the 2 mile all uphill hike.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/redwingsfan008/theload.jpg

The next night my brother shot a cow in the same opening.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/redwingsfan008/iancow.jpg

The day after that I guided my best friend Justin into one of the does i saw opening morning.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/redwingsfan008/100_0539.jpg

Due to evidence of *** requirements and our own Youthful machoness, we decided to carry her out whole on a pole.
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh21/redwingsfan008/deercarry.jpg

Overall it has been a great hunting season complete with plenty of game, plenty of comraderie, and plenty of friends and family.

evanhill
10-23-2009, 10:34 AM
What a great season Evan! I'm particularly impressed with the long range antelope shot -- not so much with the shot itself as all of the preparation that went into it so when the time came you were able to take it with confidence.

colohunter303
10-23-2009, 10:45 AM
The funny thing is that I am possibly more impressed with the 150 yds off hand. I have never been awesome off hand so i was pretty proud when I sent one right where I wanted it off hand.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-23-2009, 11:14 AM
The funny thing is that I am possibly more impressed with the 150 yds off hand. I have never been awesome off hand so i was pretty proud when I sent one right where I wanted it off hand.

I'm with you young Evan, that's a great shot in my book.

Congrats on all of the sucess this year!
I haven't seen a deer taken out on a pole in some time. It reminds me of a pair of gentlemen I bumped into that were taking out a nice buck in the same fashion, but both of them had rather strong english accents which my hunting buddy and I still joke about ("let me place this upon my shouldah"). :D I guess you would've had to been there to find the humor.

colohunter303
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Wyo, I can see the humor in it. being the brute he is justin wanted to carry it out over his shoulders alone. All 4 miles up a steep hill. needless to say by thetime we got to the truck he was very glad i helped him out. we were going to quarter it but a low and far back shot all but destroyed the mammory and one slip of the knife removed our last chance of evidence. next time i willwatch a little more closely as to where the cuts are being made. it was his first time gutting anything other than a fish. it was fun to say we did it but i wont bedoing it again anytime soon. by the way we wrapped a blaze vest around the deer on the way out for safety. just in case anyone was wondering.

Smokepole
10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Great photos and story, sounds like an excellent year all-around.

Due to evidence of *** requirements and our own Youthful machoness, we decided to carry her out whole on a pole.

Just curious, how far did you carry her and how was your shoulder afterward? Been there, done that!!

colohunter303
10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
smoke,

We carried her somewhere around 4 miles, proboably a little less. I can tell you my shoulders are still sore. I switched shoulders every 10 mins or so. I had a shirt wrapped around the pole to add cushion but it didnt do much. I wont soon be doing that again.

Randy
10-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Awesome Evan! Your bull is great and that cow your brother took looks like fine eating!

Eland
10-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Congrats on a fine season and a fine first bull!

Timberline
10-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Excellent report and photos! Congrats on a super season.

Everyone needs to try The Pole Trick at least once...and then never again. Does look cool, though.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Bushcraft
10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Everyone needs to try The Pole Trick at least once...and then never again. Does look cool, though. - Timberline

Indeed. After reading this, I'm left wondering which classic hunting book we all must have read that had an illustration or picture showing the infamous Pole Trick. If there is another way of carrying an animal through the backcountry that is more debilitating to one's body and soul, I haven't found it.

Thanks for sharing the great write-up!

Allen

colohunter303
10-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Thanks for reading guys. I have seen a picture of my grandpa with a deer tied around him like he was giving it a piggy back. looked uncomfortable but i would put my grandfather in a total breed of his own when he was younger.

Ed C
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Darn good hunt! I dunno how I missed this my bad. Good pics good family good deeds. Congrats

Construction dudes rule. If in doubt ask Huntsman.