PDA

View Full Version : Kifaru Small Stove

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 02:55 PM
OK.....I just traded a guy some junk for a Kifaru Stove (small)

I don't have any directions for assembling it.

I've got the stove together and I've got a few pieces left over that I'm not sure what to do with. Kinda reminds me of the last BBQ I pieced together.

So....if someone could enlighten me as to what the piece is that has the 8 rivets and the slats are for.....does it sit on the bottom of the burn chamber?? I'm hoping that this is it or I'm a lot dumber than I thought.

Also there is a small package with extra wing nuts etc. What are the small bolts for???

I'm assuming that the small wire rings are for shaping the stove pipe....is this correct??

How and where are the spark arrestors installed?? I'm assuming this is what the screen pieces are.

The stove pipe has a couple of holes in it one end. Not sure if they go at the top or bottom. I'm sure there is a reason for them.....I could use the enlightenment.

If all or any of the above questions are "really stupid"......please feel free to flog away.

I do have an e-mail in to Angie but I'm too impatient with new toyz.....so I'm trying here.

Thanx for any help you guys/gals can offer,

Respectfully,

tm

JBR
10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
The piece that has the 8 rivets and slats is the pipe collar. It takes one of the screws and wing nuts to hold it together after you bend it into a circle. It then goes into the large hole in the top of the stove. The stove pipe comes down over that and stops on the little 1/4" pins on the outside of the collar.

Once the pipe collar is installed and the stove pipe seated on top of it, you slide the spark arrester screens (2) into the slits in the pipe collar.

Another screw and wingnut go through the holes in the end of the stove pipe. I believe they go on top, at least that's where I put them. Yes, the wire loops go around the stove pipe to hold it's shape and are spaced about every 14" or so.

I think that should help. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Kevin B
10-22-2009, 03:41 PM
The piece with the rivets and slats, that's a collar.

It goes into the exit hole on the top of the stove. You use wing nuts and bolts to hold it together, it's adjustable somewhat for size (diameter).

After putting the pipe together you slide the pipe over the collar to the point where it rests on the rivets. When you put the collar together if you make it tighter "smaller" then let out room in it until it fills up the width of the stove pipe.

The slats are the spaces to insert the spark screens.

The rings are to restrict the pipe and placed evenly along the pipe's length.

You use another bolt and wing nut to hold together the end of the pipe, you'll see the hole on either side. Place the wing nut on the inside so that it doesn't catch on the tipi port as you push it up through the tent.

I may have forgotten something, but that's the big picture. but by now you know that... thanks jbr.

evanhill
10-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Jim nailed it.

A tip: I've had my small stove for several years now and just learned something valuable from Bushcraft -- the stove will draw WAY better with one or both spark arrestors removed. I never even thought to run it any other way than both in. Now, I only run with one, and have no compunction about pulling the second one out in wet conditions if I need a little extra oomph to get the stove cranking.

edit: as did Kevin, although I always do my stovepipe nut and wingnut with the wingnut out because it is easier to turn than inside of the stovepipe and it doesn't get as sooty. Congratulations! That small stove is the single most unique and valuable piece of gear Kifaru makes in my opinion.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 03:47 PM
EBR, Kevin & Evan,

Thank you very much for the shove in the right direction and the tips. It is very much appreciated....and no flogging at all!!!!

tm

rambler_wannabe
10-22-2009, 03:55 PM
If it is "new" and unburned, be VERY careful with the stovepipe. How well you roll it the first time and burn it in to set the shape is critical to how it will work forever. Mess it up now and you will fight it every time.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 04:10 PM
OK....one more quick question.

Do you put the collar in so that one set of rivets is actually inside of the stove?

I think this makes sense because the bolt protrudes quite far out when put on with the wing nut on the outside.

Should be the last question....I think :-)

Thanx again,

tm

evanhill
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I put the collar in so that both sets of rivets are outside of the stove. I rest the lower set of rivets plus the outward facing wing nut that is in line with them on the surface of the stove with that last inch or so of collar sticking into the stove. The rivets plus wingnut form a stable set of stops for the weight of the stove pipe.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Ok....so then the stove pipe goes down to the wing-nut. In other word....over top of the rivets or does is sit on top of the top rivets.

tm

evanhill
10-22-2009, 04:46 PM
It sits on top of the top rivets:

------------------ top of collar inside of stovepipe

------------------ stove pipe bottom edge
+ + + rivets

---------------- screen slot 1

---------------- screen slot 2

+ ~ + + rivets and wingnut
------------------ stove surface

------------------ bottom of collar inside of stove

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 04:56 PM
You the Man Evan.....thanx for spelling it out for a dumb Canuck.....at least I'll be warm :-)

I'll be using it to try and stay warm while out chasing wolves this winter. Hopefully I'll be able to post a few pics of some deceased ones for you guyz.

Thanx again,

tm

evanhill
10-22-2009, 05:04 PM
Heck, if I was more conversant in all of the Kifarutube videos, I'd probably be able to point you to a video of stove setup.

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 05:12 PM
LOL.....I'm sure this was much easier from my point of view. On another note, I'm not very computer literate....I tried to post a pic of a dead wolf from earlier this Spring and it rejected me because of size or something like that :-(

tm

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Hopefully that does it

evanhill
10-22-2009, 05:20 PM
So it does! The country in that picture looks a little short of fire wood for your new stove...

Tundra Monkey
10-22-2009, 05:27 PM
LOL.....That ones out in the middle of Great Slave. She's a couple 100 miles across that way. Only about 5 miles from the shore the other. We spend a couple weeks each year above the treeline in the Spring as well.......a 2-burner Coleman and a jerry-can of white gas cuts the grade on those trips!!

tm