PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Season Elk Report

Otoejet
10-22-2009, 09:36 AM
If I had to title this report, it would be: NO BULL, NO COW, ONE MARE

I returned late on Tuesday from my five days in Unit 4 chasing Wapiti. I picked up my brother-in-law (BIL) in Ft. Collins and we headed for the mountain. We hit camp at about 3 pm on Friday just in time to head out for an afternoon quick scouting trip. We were encouraged by some left over snow from the storm they had during 1st season. We were a bit discouraged, though, as the weather report called for warmer than we'd like temperatures and no precipitation until Monday. On the quick scout, we were very happy to find some fresh bear tracks (my father-in-law (FIL) picked up an OTC bear tag just in case) from at least two different bears. We also saw several does which was good as we had one man in camp with only a doe tag.

Opening morning found me walking an old logging road down to a new meadow and yet undiscovered beaver pond. I set up on the pond with favorable wind just as dawn was coming on. I had three does come in to the set up, but no Elk. It was time to walk. I set off on my walk for the rest of the morning and saw only more deer. The afternoon hunt went much the same. Back in camp it seemed that the six of us would be shut out on opening day for the first time in four years. That was until Evan (the youngest of the group and a well established Kifaruite) came slidding into camp, "Well," he said, "who wants to go get him out with me?" Six of us headed down the mountain to retrieve his harvest, which led to dinner at 10:30 pm or so...well worth the wait. I'll let him tell that tale.

Sunday found most of us not getting out until after dawn. I headed to cover some new country near where Evan harvested, but only came across some other hunters, one of whom harvested a nice 4x4 muley. Once again, about to start dinner we had another member fill his tag. This one couldn't be recovered until Monday morning (which with too warm weather meant bad things for the meat). This is where the Mare comes in. On the way back to camp, one of our camp members saw a horse running up and down the road. Being a horsey kind of guy, I couldn't let her stay out there all night. Evan and I headed out in my truck and soon found her grazing on the side of the road. I got a bit scared when I found her left stirrup missing and a rifle in the scabbard. We've all read those stories in the paper: it's hard not to think the worst has happened. Luckily we had cell service and were able to notify the DWM. Evan took off in his truck to check camps around us as I unsaddle the mare and got her staked out on a line and gave her some hay we found in an empty camp nearby. Evan, fortunately (maybe) found the horse's dethroned rider and brought him to camp. I'd notices the Sombrero brand on her left hip and knew she was a rental. This guy never said, "Thank you" only a few mild curses of the horse for getting him off and asked if we'd just keep her in our camp until morning. Even when he came back, there was only a mild "thanks" for the help. Evan commented that he may want to stick to his feet from now on.

Monday found me walking again in too hot temperatures once the thunderstorm, that's right we woke up to thunder and lightening and rain! subsided. A full day of walking and no Wapiti to show for it. Seems like I was a day or two behind in the areas I headed in to day after day. The highlight of the day was our buddy Justin harvesting a nice fat doe for his first big game animal. The look of satisfaction and accomplishment on his face when he and Evan rode into camp was perfect and one I won't soon forget. He took on skinning and quartering/halfing her with vigor and took all the input from the experienced guys to use.

All in all, the weather was terrible for a 2nd season. No fresh snow. Daytime highs pushing 60 at 9000-9500 feet. A tough hunt, but a wonderful 5 days in the Elk woods with some great guys. I was able to spend time in the woods, watch beavers and muskrats struggle for the power in a pond, watch a coyote stalk and take two or three mice/voles, witness a three way battle between red-tailed hawks, even see a porcupine mosey across the road, and share in the joy of three harvests. A very successful venture in my book. I know Evan has some pictures he'll get up and I'll get some up as well.

Huntsman22
10-22-2009, 09:41 AM
beats working.......but then again, meat or not, I know you ain't whining.

CCH
10-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Sounds like a good one. It's too bad legal restrictions prevented you from toting that fine Rossi .17 HMR or I'm certain you would have been able to go so far and wide that you would have connected. ;)

Scoutin' Wyo
10-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Sounds like good times in the woods to me. Always good for the soul.

Thanks for sharing.

Randy
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a great week for all. Thanks for sharing.

Ed C
10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm looking forward to hearing from those Yahoo out of state hunters.

Otoejet
10-23-2009, 01:44 PM
That would be the guy who got "thrown" from his horse. In all my time in the saddle, anytime I came off could be directly attributed to a mistake I made. Also, the three guys from Pennsylvania seemed to attach themselves to at least one guy in our group of all Colorado hunters as we headed out on the mountain. Everytime we headed out, boom, there they were.

Timberline
10-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Great report. I enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Thanks.

one-eyed Bob
10-23-2009, 02:38 PM
While I'm at home, missing my annual hunt, I received a picture on my phone of my friend's 7 point elk shot in Colorado a couple of days ago. He must have found some reception near Gunnison.

Otoejet
10-26-2009, 07:33 AM
I think you guys have the wrong idea. I really appreciate all that out-of-state hunters do for Colorado and the DOW. If nothing else, I can be pragmatic. The dollars they bring to our economy, both in license fees and money spent on fuel, groceries, etc, are necessary. There are yayhoo's, as I've stated before, from Colorado and out-of-state. I think because GMU 4 is on OTC bull area, we get a bucket load of guys that fall of horses, shoot spikes, poach in private, piggy back hunt Colorado license plates, etc.

On the other hand, we met a group of guys from Michigan on our Friday evening scouting walk, and they were looking for a good spot to hunt Mulies for a buddy who's on oxygen. We pointed them towards some state trust land down the mountain. We're quick to lend a hand to "good guys" regardless of location, but we have a certain distaste for the aforementioned yayhoos.

Ed C
10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm looking forward to hearing from those Yahoo out of state hunters.

Otoejet
I was referring to Evan
Evan (the youngest of the group and a well established Kifaruite) thinking this was evanhill [out of state- established kifaruite?] and looking forward to the pics and report.

Evidently it was not evanhill since no report or pics came.
Sorry if this attempt at humor was taken the wrong way.

Congrats on the fine hunt and good report. I enjoy the hunting reports and pics more than anything else.

I truly enjoy Colorado. It is the best and most fair state as far as non resident hunters. Having hunted there numerous times I know you have more than your share of out-of-state yayhoos. The difference between Co. and Wa. is the yayhoos in Wa. are resident hunters.

Nice deer hunt by the way. Pics needed:)

evanhill
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Ed, colohunter303 (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=19570) who I met at the CO Rondy this year, is my tokayo -- same first name. Good guy, but he's got poor judgement as he's pursuing a career in the construction industry. Why anybody would want to subject themselves to the likes of you on a daily basis... I dunno. Tough call. ;)

Ed C
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
OOPS My apologies, not so much for getting mixed up, but for missing a darn good hunting report.

Why anybody would want to subject themselves to the likes of you on a daily basis... I dunno. Tough call. ;) <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Well when you're right you're right

colohunter303
10-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Yeah sometimed i wonder what i am getting myself into as far as construction goes. Heck all you have to do to find one of the aformentioned yahoos is walk into the construction lab and look for the guy with a spitter and a camo jacket. he is sure to tell you about the time he shot a running coyote from the passenger seat of his dads farmtruck as they were tearing through the corn field. I am not kidding either.