PDA

View Full Version : OmniYoke options or alternatives?

C_Claycomb
10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
I am looking for a way of creating a 20-30 litre (1,220 - 1,830 cunic inches) day bag using the straps, stays and hip belt from my G1 Zulu, preferably without the need to carry a great deal of additional dead-weight when everything is attached back on the main pack.

The OmniYoke looks interesting, but I do have some questions and hope someone here can help.

I have a G1 Zulu, is there any way of using the G1 shoulder straps with a new G2 OmniYoke?

I have read that in addition to removeable stays, the OmniYoke has a HDPE back panel. Can this be removed? If one doesn't want to carry great weights, is there any reason to have stays AND a back panel?

The weight quoted for the OmniYoke on the main site, 4lb 6oz, :eek: is an ounce heavier than the weight quoted for the G1 Zulu, which seems remarkable given that one has volume and the other doesn't. Does anyone have a weight for the bare-bones Yoke, no stays, shoulder straps (or back panel?)?

The fabric between the G1 Zulu stays flexes, you can practically roll the whole bag around the stays and tie it up as a 6" diameter cylinder. If the Yoke's HDPE panel can be removed, how badly does the new back and lumbar padding effect the ability to pack it down small?

It may be that the OmniYoke is too bulky and heavy for what I am trying to do, but given the dubious quality of my sewing :rolleyes: I reckon it is worth looking into before I resort to any DIY! :D

Thanks

Chris

cpti
10-21-2009, 01:46 PM
I am looking for a way of creating a 20-30 litre (1,220 - 1,830 cunic inches) day bag using the straps, stays and hip belt from my G1 Zulu, preferably without the need to carry a great deal of additional dead-weight when everything is attached back on the main pack.

The OmniYoke looks interesting, but I do have some questions and hope someone here can help.

I have a G1 Zulu, is there any way of using the G1 shoulder straps with a new G2 OmniYoke?

I have read that in addition to removeable stays, the OmniYoke has a HDPE back panel. Can this be removed? If one doesn't want to carry great weights, is there any reason to have stays AND a back panel?

The weight quoted for the OmniYoke on the main site, 4lb 6oz, :eek: is an ounce heavier than the weight quoted for the G1 Zulu, which seems remarkable given that one has volume and the other doesn't. Does anyone have a weight for the bare-bones Yoke, no stays, shoulder straps (or back panel?)?

The fabric between the G1 Zulu stays flexes, you can practically roll the whole bag around the stays and tie it up as a 6" diameter cylinder. If the Yoke's HDPE panel can be removed, how badly does the new back and lumbar padding effect the ability to pack it down small?

It may be that the OmniYoke is too bulky and heavy for what I am trying to do, but given the dubious quality of my sewing :rolleyes: I reckon it is worth looking into before I resort to any DIY! :D

Thanks

I have an omni yoke, and my pockets just showed today, so I'll post my setup shortly.

Omni yoke is definitely heavy, and 4lb 6oz sounds about right. That said, it's designed to carry heavy loads, and all that weight is required for the stability and support needed for heavy loads.

To answer a few of your questions:

-weight is right (again)
-HDPE panel can be removed, as can the stays.
-Never rolled mine up, I think the best you could do, with the new padding on the back and the padded lumbar area, would be to disconnect the top lumbar pad connectors so it drops down, then fold it in half length-wise.
-Not sure on shoulder strap compatability.
-I don't have a scale accurate enough to weight different components of the yoke, sorry.

I'll say this. I've either owned or used the Zulu, Marauder, Molle Express, and Omni Yoke. Out of all of them, the Yoke is my favorite. I'm a "set it up my own way" kind of guy, and the Yoke has that covered better than any other omni platform. It is the only one that you can add your own volume to without having it hanging far away from the body or the pack. I always hated having weight in the pockets with a less than full pack as it always threw the load off balance or awkwardly hung off the pack.

Mr Yarrow
10-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Chris,

Good to see you over here as well :D

Just to say apart from the word Zulu, pretty much your entire post meant absolutely nothong to me and seemed written in pure gobbledigoop! :p

Thankfully though lots more people on here DO know what you mean and are masters of the dark art that is nylon mastery :cool:

Rgds

Rgds

Brotzie
10-21-2009, 04:44 PM
Hey Chris

The omni shoulder straps haven't changed, as far as I know, so your Zulu straps should work fine (the G2 OmniYoke kept the same frame size as the G1 Zulu, rather than 'growing up' to the 21" G2 Zulu frame).

Might be worth hitting the Trading Post to see if anyone wants to part with a G1 OmniYoke? No lumbar pads means less weight and more compressibility. The ride would be the same as your (our!) G1 Zulus...

Hope this helps. All the best, Ian

revelation2012
10-21-2009, 05:53 PM
When you get your pouches situated and field used or urban used your omni yoke I'd love to see some reviews and pics. I haven't seen much reports after peolpe get these. I'de like to know how it'd serve traveling (packing in PODs). It seem you'd be able to make your perfect pack by picking and choosing PODs and pouches. I've seen pics but never anyone reporting actual use reviews.

I am looking at doing the same with a duplex frame and adding a bag later.

Anyone know what the approximate cubic inches of each POD size is?

91xlt
10-21-2009, 07:01 PM
i have been "playing" with the omni yoke for a little while...

finding the "do's" and "dont's" of it...LOL

i beleive the omni belts and straps to be "universal" among the packs that use 'em...

my take on the omni youke, imo, if looking for a stand alone pack, probably best to do just that, use a pack...marauder is first to come to mind for me, but whichever you prefer.

BUT, what i have been toying with is the use of the omni yoke for/as a piggy-back option and use with my mmr pack and frame.

i will need to take and post some pics for this to be clear - i think..lol
no real opinion YET...tried a few setups, some worked well others where combersome to me.
i THINK, i will get the bugs worked out, and it will become a very good option for my uses...the kifaru gear is SOOOO modular, it's overwhelming sometimes to me.

91xlt
10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
here is a link to some past posts regarding the omni-yoke
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=17105

C_Claycomb
10-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the responses so far!

When you say that the OmniYoke can piggy back on a larger pack, do you mean figuratively, or literally (using the Kifaru piggyback extension straps)?

I think I need to try to clarify what I meant about using the G1 Zulu shoulder straps…I hadn’t actually thought about the possibility of the back length changing.

On the G1 Zulu the shoulder straps are attached by 2” wide adjustable webbing at the top, easy to un-thread, and by 1” webbing sewn to the pack at the bottom. If you want to detach the straps, the choice is either to cut off the doubled over ends of the 1” webbing so that they can be unthreaded from the ACW buckles, or to use the ACW buckle as a quick release, having spare male parts attached to webbing which you want to attach to the Yoke. Since these ACW buckles have been replaced on G2 with an ITW model I reckoned that this easy clip in / clip out method wouldn’t work when attaching G1 straps to a G2 Yoke. :confused:

Clearly I am missing something about this. How DO you attach straps to the OmniYoke?

Thanks for the link :) I have tried to read everything I can about the Yoke but being new to the forum it is quite possible that I am missing some good stuff ;)

Background info - why I am asking all this stuff ;)
I only recently became a Kifaru owner, with a third-hand G1 Zulu which came with the XTL and a couple of top access hybrid long pockets. My previous packs have been PRI/Karrimor Sabres. One of the major conveniences and features that I liked about the Sabre45 pack was how it worked with the addition of two 10litre British military PLCE type side pockets. Once at a base camp you could remove these side pockets from the main pack, zip them together and attach to a lightweight yoke using side release buckles. This then gave you a light 20litre day-sack without having had to pack any additional “deadweight” other than the 11oz PLCE yoke.

My first outings with my new Zulu proved that its suspension system is far superior to that on the Sabre, but it also highlighted that I am REALLY gonna miss the option of a day-sack. I had hoped that the XTL would do the job, and once I figure a way of integrating it with the Omnibelt, it might do pretty well, but it is still going to be a bit short of volume for me for some stuff.

I found myself trying to think of a way to integrate the Omnibelt with my PLCE yoke and side pockets (the PLCE pockets have greater volume, and are lighter, than the Kifaru Long Pockets). However there were a fair few problems with that idea, apart from being a dead ugly solution! It would be so much better to have something which is purely designed for the purpose and was properly PALS compatible. :D

evanhill
10-22-2009, 10:27 AM
I was wondering where you were trying to go with this. You might consider trying to find one of the G1 tailgunner PALS panels (don't remember the exact name). You'd basically end up with a PALS panel you could put your pockets and Zulu hipbelt on and have a nice big lumbar pack for day trips -- all for the weight of a PALS panel with some doo dads sewn on. Maybe throw in a lightweight pair of accessory shoulder straps to go with it.

AndyL
10-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Could you use the PLCE side pockets on the zulu?
looking on lakeland bushcraft the PLCE pockets could be attacked just using a bit of webbing and some slotted side release buckles to dock & lock them onto the pack.

C_Claycomb
10-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi Andy,

That's definitely the fall back position :D Even with my sewing skills I reckon I could probably Frankenstein something together to marry the Omnibelt with the PLCE yoke and pockets. At worst I can just jam the PLCE yoke into the Zulu, strap on the PLCE side pockets, and have the same set up that I would use with the Sabre45. I just wanted to see if something a little more elegant and creative could be arrived at ;)

I ordered a bunch of bits from Supply Captain, but didn't get quite enough kinds of buckle :rolleyes: so have no slotted bar buckles to try the webbing/dock arrangement. It would be a lot like mounting the PLCE pockets as if they were Pods, which is a good idea :)

I'm still interested in details of the OmniYoke though. The concept appeals and I have seen what they can do in the way of load carrying ...:D
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll235/gps_deseng/PICT4180.jpg

91xlt
10-22-2009, 06:09 PM
that pic shows one of the things that drew me to the omni yoke also...i will have to search a bit, but, evanhil had posted a thread on a pack he actually made, but the concept is what lit the light for me with the omni yoke...i will try and find that thread, to add to this mayhem...LOL

EDIT:
i found the thread, but unfortunately the pics are no longer avail to go with it... :(

hopefully he will chime in with some insight :)

evanhill
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I re-did my personal website somewhat recently and did away with all of those pics I was hosting...

For the stated purpose of turning a couple of side pockets into a daypack, I still think one of the tailgunner platforms is the ticket.