PDA

View Full Version : Accessory Idea!

Brian Andrews
10-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi All,

First, I have to say I just received my first Kifaru pack. An Express G2. Wow, the thing is cool! I have no idea why I waited so long to try Kifaru. I now I will be buying more stuff for sure.

I have used lots of day packs, multi-days, etc. The pack features and construction is just incredible. However, I did have at least one neat idea, and then a second one which you might not like as much :D

My first idea is an "abrasion" panel for the bottom. My multi-day backpacking pack has a super durable "rubberized" bottom. While the 1000 denier seems awesome, it seems like it would be really easy to make just a panel that attaches to the bottom. Seems to be the spot on the pack that will get the most wear from setting it down, with all the weight etc. Seems like a good idea to have a "throw away" panel. Lord knows there are plenty of ways to attach one :D

My second idea is just a simple fabric panel for attaching to the outside. I use my stuff for recreation, not military. It would be neat to have a panel that patches, pins, etc could be sewn on to and not mess up the pack. I realize that this is something I can make myself, but figured I would throw it out there too.

Either way, just thinking out loud. I can not say enough good things about this pack, and I will for sure be telling others. Here are a couple pics of it.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/backyardbushman2/Hunting_2009_10_17/IMG_4591.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/backyardbushman2/Hunting_2009_10_17/IMG_4590.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/backyardbushman2/Hunting_2009_10_17/IMG_4596.jpg

Brian

Pardner
10-17-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the board. Nice pics.

My suggestion for the bottom panel is don't sweat it. You bought one of the finest packs from a domestic company that backs their products up. If you ever have a problem with the bottom abrading through, send it back to Colo and they'll take care of you. I don't think you will ever need to for the life of the pack seeing as how much abuse I've put my packs through.

Your second suggestion sounds more like a DIY project since most of the folks here won't want to cover their packs with anything other than pockets or maybe a blaze/rain cover.

Again, welcome to the board.

steveb
10-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Brian, I have an idea for you. Grab-it panel. It's like a spade sleeve/soft cargo 'chair' that will protect part of the bottom and come about half-way up the pack. It's fairly cheap and you can sew patches and add pins. Besides, you can stow wet/soiled gear in it also. Look in the tactical section under Accessories, Grab-It.

Brian Andrews
10-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I did consider the grab-it panel, and I just might order that one.

I figured the display panel would be an easy DIY, but thought I would share it anyway.

I also did get a medium POD for the bottom of this thing. It works out really nice and is a great size for this pack. With 3 kids, I am always trying to stuff in bulky (but not heavy stuff). Jackets, extra layers, etc. Plus, when on my own it is nice to have a place to shove dirty stuff.

Thanks again,
B

gdw042
10-18-2009, 08:18 AM
I'll second the suggestion to not sweat the abrasion panel.

I've tossed my fully loaded G1 Marauder out of the back of trucks onto gravel, pavement, you name it. It's been abused far beyond any sort of "normal wear and tear" and if I washed it to clean the dirt off of it, it would still look brand new. Maybe a few scuff marks here and there, but not worth the trouble.

Thanks for the pics of the G2 Express, I am really looking forward to getting one here in a few months. And I totally feel your pain regarding kids stuff. I always seem to end up carring more of their stuff than my own. At least mine are old enough to carry their own water now.
GDW