PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Mountains opening day report

GlennGTR
10-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Morning came early with the sound of monsoon rains comming down outside. I mean by the bucketfull and warm as in sixty degrees. I cant remember hunting on a wetter,warmer day for the opener. The two gents...I use the word lightly, were unable to make the entire journey into the Valhala hunting grounds. I left them on the side of a clear cut where exhausted they set up camp for the kind of hunting good for folks like that(sitting on a$$ going nowhere). They didnt even cover a mile of ground attempting to go into the area we were sapposed to hunt. It turned into a solo hunt at that point and I wasnt dissapointed. Sounds a little like what OldGoat was complaining about the other day.Tim I hope your paying attention and feel bad for not joining me this year lol. I had the entire back side of unmentioned mountain to myself. Saw two spikes and a forky, plus some elk. No other hunters sighted anywhere,none,natah,zip. I love these areas close to home that give me the solitude I crave while hunting. The biggest part of the trip was spent tipping my hat forward to run gallons of water off of it and wiping the lenses of my binoculars. It just wouldnt let up one little bit. Torrential down pour the whole time. If it wasnt raining real hard it was raining insanely hard. So much for day one, day two will probably not be till tuesday or wednesday morning. Will be going solo and hopefully the rain will have let up a little by then. Did any other Blacktail hunters get out today?

Tim in Washington
10-17-2009, 05:16 PM
I was sitting in the church during a funural and listening to the rain pound the roof.It's good to have the whole family around for a change so no regrets but I have to admitt that my mind drfted towards the woods more than once.Sounds like you had a good trip though.

GlennGTR
10-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Was only able to spend around four hours because its a work day for me. I cant complain though I guess it could have turned out worse....like they could have made it in then shot something. Of course neither one of them would have been able to get it out,leaving the honors to me.