PDA

View Full Version : My First Bull Elk

hammbone
10-15-2009, 09:47 PM
The day started at my base camp with my Father. A great breakfast of antelope sausage, hash browns, eggs, cheese, an salsa casserole. I then hiked in a few miles and set up my spike camp(See 1st Picture). I've camped in this spot North of Flat tops wilderness the last two years. I think it has a great view(see 2nd picture). After making my mountainhouse supper, I heard bulls bugling most of the evening between calls from coyotes. It was pretty exciting. I woke up at hiked up to my lookout that I've been to the last three years. It also offers great views. Especially this year(See 3rd picture).

The Sun was just peeking through when I saw an elk coming towards me through the meadow I was watching. I took a closer look through my scope and saw it was a nice 5x6 bull. WOW! The bull was about 150 yards away but also about 300 feet below me. I set up in the prone position between two evergreen bushes on the edge of the cliff and took a trotting broadside shot. Boom, The bull keeps right on going. Boom, I shot again. The bull stopped, turned 120 degrees away from me and started going into the trees. Boom, I shot again at the middle of his shoulder blades. Finally, the bull looked around and headed towards me. At this point I was pretty Frustrated but glad that the elk had no idea where the shots were coming from. Finally he was quartering towards me and I put the cross hairs on the bottom of his front shoulder. Boom, Smack. He dropped right there. After a few minutes I climbed down and made sure he was not suffering. I followed his tracks and discovered that I shot over his back every time except for the final shot. I figure it was the steep angle the fact that I had my rifle set up to shoot 3" high at 100 yds. I'll keep that in mind for next year. Finally, I took some pictures of my first bull(See 4th Picture). I quartered and boned him out on the spot. I carried out the head, tenderloin, and back straps and my eberlestock "Just One" back-pack(sorry some day I hope to afford a Kifaru Pack). The next day, I came back with and outfitter and some horses to pack out the front and hind quarters. I've packed out cow elk from this location the past two years. It was worth every penny to have it packed out on horses for me. Thanks to all on this forum for the information given.

CCH
10-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Good for you!

khalidthesoljah
10-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Nice elk! glad i got to see it first hand!

Wanderlustr
10-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Very nice! Looks like a great spot. Thanks for posting up.

hunting1
10-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Congratulations!

Scoutin' Wyo
10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
NICE!

I shot my first bull in the northern flat tops too. And I can second the fact of horses and mules being money well spent. Too bad the outfitter I used to use is no longer licensed in there for the fall.:rolleyes:

Again congrats!

chambero
10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Talk about a commno theme. My "group" killed our first elk (a cow) in that general area in 04 (south of Sherriff Reservoir) and I killed my first bull two years ago (also a 5x6) in the Sleepy Cat vicinity.

I've sat out the last two years and its about to kill me right now. Thanks for the photos!

snakey2
10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
That is a nice bull to start with. Sounds like everything came together for you. Nothing like a good hunt in a pretty place.

wd
10-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Congratulations!

I have spent a lot of time in the Flat Top. It is a great area for Elk.

Awesome!

sab
10-16-2009, 11:57 AM
The next day, I came back with and outfitter and some horses to pack out the front and hind quarters. I've packed out cow elk from this location the past two years. It was worth every penny to have it packed out on horses for me.

If you don't mind my asking - what did you pay to have it packed out? I'm heading out next week, and I've talked to a few outfitters about packing an elk out for me, but I have no "comps" to compare to their prices.

Thanks,
Scott Brooks

Scoutin' Wyo
10-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Not trying to answer for hambone, but when I used a packer two years ago, it was $100 per horse and the cow fit on two horses. Granted the outfitter was already heading into our drainage to pack out a different camp so that may have to be taken into consideration.

hammbone
10-16-2009, 03:13 PM
If you don't mind my asking - what did you pay to have it packed out? I'm heading out next week, and I've talked to a few outfitters about packing an elk out for me, but I have no "comps" to compare to their prices.

Thanks,
Scott Brooks

It was $250 for two guides on horses (a guy and girl couple, by the way, the girl chewed tobacco as well. I guess I should not be surprised) two horses for meat/camp packing and one for me to ride. I stopped by Sombrero Ranch about 10 miles East of Vaughan Lake on FSR 8. I talked the manager down from the $450 price they advertise on their website. The guides, Dana and Katie, were nice and knew how to pack and handle horses. Dana was a bit under dressed when the snow started really coming down for a few hours. I had to make him some hot coco to warm his hands at my spike camp when we came to pack it up. At one point Katie said they should be paying me because I was such an easy job for them. Then, dana recounted stories of searching for hours for downed elk where the "hunter" did not know how to read or use his GPS. Or, they would come to the elk and the "hunter" would expect the outfitter to skin and quarter it for him. It was amazing to me to hear of the predicaments people get themselves into. But, over all, they did a great job and I would hire them again as long as I have the means to do so.

Montanapete1
10-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Congrats on the Elk! A Woman Outfitter who chews? Never seen one of them up here! Ok just a few though!

GlennGTR
10-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Nice job great pics always nice to see someone succeed on a hunt.

sab
10-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Scoutin' Wyo and hammbone:

Thanks for the comparison. The prices I've been given vary from $275 to $500, so they seem to be in the same range, considering Scoutin's deal was a secondary trip for the outfitter.

Regards,
Scott Brooks