PDA

View Full Version : Wash. mod. firearm deer season

Tim in Washington
10-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Washingtons rifle season(at least on the West side) starts tomarrow,good luck to everyone!I'll be missing the first two weeks because of family obligations but I'll give it a go after that.Tim

GlennGTR
10-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Let me know when your ready.

Bushcraft
10-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Taking a new guy out this weekend for what I hope will be his first of many successful trips.

En route now. Gotta love the rain.

Best of luck everyone!

Allen

GlennGTR
10-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Got to love that rain!......up to a point anyways.

Bushcraft
10-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, the Rookie has punched his tag and has joined the ranks of Successful Backpack Hunter! I could not be more proud of him and the time that he put in at the gym, hunter's ed and the range.

We are pointing the silver sled for the butcher table. I am very pleased at having brought another (and his wife) into The Fold that will vote our side of the ballot. He was, for the most part, calm, cool and collected at taking his first mammal destined for the dinner table. Near perfect shot placement followed up with a no-bitching haul-out in ripping sheets of rain and fog. Great guy that I hope to one day introduce you all.

Good luck everyone!

Allen

David in OR
10-18-2009, 11:39 AM
^ Awesome. Were you in 621? I'm curious because we're moving up to Sequim at the end of the month. (I'll have to change my handle to "David in WA.")

Bushcraft
10-18-2009, 01:35 PM
No. Eastside. Which, unfortunately was still very much like the "Wetside".

Sequim huh? Nice area. Are you retiring? ;)

Seriously though, you'll have to drop by the place sometime for a beer.

Welcome to the Evergreen State!

Allen

David in OR
10-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Sequim huh? Nice area. Are you retiring? ;)

No, but that would be the natural assumption, wouldn't it? :) The GF/fiancée got a research gig up there with Pacific NW Nat'l Lab. The idea is that I'll freelance out of the house. I might be doing a lot of scouting and working on my novel... ;) Thanks for the invite; consider it reciprocated, once we're settled in. We'll have to hook up.

GlennGTR
10-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey Dave I live at the southern boundry of 621 Olympic and hunt it a lot for deer, bear and cougar. Let me know when you get to the area or if your just up looking around. We can meet somewhere just to chat or head out into the sticks. If you dont have snow shoes yet get a pair. There are lots of wilderness areas and the high roads are snowed in during winter.

David in OR
10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Have shoes, will travel!

Randy
10-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Congrats on scoring a deer for your rookie Allen!

David: Sounds like you'll be in Richland. I'll soon be moving back to central WA, around Yakivegas most likely, again. It's long story and a bit of a shock to our systems.

Anyway, more details to follow. Welcome to WA and maybe we can touch base at some point along the way.

Bushcraft
10-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Speaking of shoes...do NOT ever forget your hunting boots when embarking upon a hunting trip.

Or rather, do not ever let your very helpful and loving wife help throw gear - that had been loosely organized into what might otherwise be recognized by most men as a "pile" in the entry way, into your truck mere minutes before having to rush out the door to attempt to catch the next ferry. Reason being...of course, is that your hunting boots will invariably remain behind, comfortably ensconced in the entry way closet throughout the remainder of your away. After all, to her Nordstrom Shoe Fetish Eye, both of your pairs of dusty, near perfectly broken in pair of boots would clearly be too "old" to be worthy of inclusion in your trip across the state to hunt deer in the wilderness at elevation.

It really is fantastic to hunt the wet high-country with a pair of eminently comfortable, romeo/mocassin-esque, slippery-city-soled pair of Clark's shoes. Especially with a load on.

I cannot highly recommend it enough. ;)

snakey2
10-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Bush sounds like you had a great time (excluding the shoe escapade). Sage advice, do not let the wife pack anything (try a backpacking stove cooking for 4 guys on a week long truck trip cause the 3 burner propane stove was too heavy to move). Good luck to all (especially those hunting the wet side). I took the weekend off to salmon fish with moderate results but will be back in the brush this next weekend.

scothill
10-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Speaking of shoes...do NOT ever forget your hunting boots when embarking upon a hunting trip.

Or rather, do not ever let your very helpful and loving wife help throw gear - that had been loosely organized into what might otherwise be recognized by most men as a "pile" in the entry way, into your truck mere minutes before having to rush out the door to attempt to catch the next ferry. Reason being...of course, is that your hunting boots will invariably remain behind, comfortably ensconced in the entry way closet throughout the remainder of your away. After all, to her Nordstrom Shoe Fetish Eye, both of your pairs of dusty, near perfectly broken in pair of boots would clearly be too "old" to be worthy of inclusion in your trip across the state to hunt deer in the wilderness at elevation.

It really is fantastic to hunt the wet high-country with a pair of eminently comfortable, romeo/mocassin-esque, slippery-city-soled pair of Clark's shoes. Especially with a load on.

I cannot highly recommend it enough. ;)

Or just don't wear sissy style shoes outside the house to start with unless you absolutely have to for business, and then a nice pair of lacers or cowboy boots is the way to go.

David in OR
10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
David: Sounds like you'll be in Richland. I'll soon be moving back to central WA, around Yakivegas most likely, again. It's long story and a bit of a shock to our systems.

As you know, their HQ is in Richland. Shari will be working in the facility on Sequim Bay, but no doubt she'll be out in Richland once in a while, and I'll probably join her occasionally. If only to see some wide open spaces that don't consist of water! :)

JBR
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
or just don't wear sissy style shoes outside the house to start with unless you absolutely have to for business, and then a nice pair of lacers or cowboy boots is the way to go.

Classic Hill brother statement.....:)

Bushcraft
10-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Careful about lumping them together that way too much JBR. Scot deserves far more credit for being by FAR and a way the more sarcasticly ornery of the two. Anybody who names his own dog Ornery...well, you get the idea.

But I can see where wearing cowboy boots to hike around in the mountains would make a lot of sense. Just have to move around real slow.

;)

evanhill
10-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the clarification Allen. I would've said it myself, but my early education in classical literature tells me there's no point in trying to disabuse folks of some notions:

When Orrin told them I was the tough one of the two they just laughed.

scothill
10-22-2009, 05:48 PM
at least you wouldn't have to worry about getting your stockings wet like you do with your little slippers. Actually, back before they went to crap Evan and I both wore Olathe boots with a micro vibram sole and hiked more then a few miles in them. Same with a pair of justin ropers with a micro vibram sole that I wore for a season in the FS.

Just because you are afeared of my dog Conri doesn't mean he is ornery. He is just a good judge of character and skeptical of you.

Evan did you just compare me to William Tell or Tyrel? Either way I don't feel it is anything but a compliment ;D

The funny thing is that Evan is the mean venegful one not me......but I can't tell those stories online.

Bushcraft
10-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Evan,

Nothing like the classics.

For what it's worth, your brother might just be big enough to whip a bear with a switch. ;)

Ed C
10-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, the Rookie has punched his tag and has joined the ranks of Successful Backpack Hunter! I could not be more proud of him and the time that he put in at the gym, hunter's ed and the range.

Where's the pics??:confused: I know ya got em.

Ed C
10-22-2009, 07:02 PM
I'll soon be moving back to central WA, around Yakivegas most likely, again. It's long story and a bit of a shock to our systems.

Randy it don't sound like you are too excited about moving back to the valley?

We can get together and kill stuff:)

Ed C
10-22-2009, 07:05 PM
David in Wa.

You will need a clam gun, and mooching rod.:)

Randy
10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Ed,

I can think of lots of other places I'd rather live...like where I am now!

But there is a silver lining or 2...closer to family, closer to the Cascades, less snow (but I just got a big 60" PTO driven snowblower for the old tractor:(), good firewood for free (apple and cherry).

On the downside...everything in the valley is printed in some other language, lots of gang and drug violence to the tune of a shooting a week in Yakima this year, highest rate of car theft, highest car insurance rates, in the top 5 for meth traffic in the country, gas costs more, less shopping, no place to buy or have guns serviced, no place to get reloading supplies.

The big plus...I was offered a job with a promotion and a very generous relocation package in the midst of a huge corporate restructure last week where about 40-50% of my colleagues were terminated. So, I'm moving, going to find a nice place to grow some hay and lay low and make the best of it:)

one-eyed Bob
10-22-2009, 07:39 PM
I can't believe anyone cooks more meth than my neighbors in the county south of here! Lay low. Make the outside of your mansion look like a double wide, but live large within.

GlennGTR
10-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Sad news is that its going to get much worse. DOC is looking now to close Atahnam view, Airway Heights, half of Larch mountain and most of McNeil Island corrections center. There will also be a drastic cut in community supervision for offenders. La Familia just had a big Federal raid on their gang with 21 arrests the last couple of days. These guys are here and I kid you not when I say they are dangerous. I know I deal with these A-hoes on a daily basis. Also Sureneos and Nortanios are growing very fast. Then there is MS-13 very,very nasty bunch of guys. The kind of violence were seeing in the prison system right now is like nothing we have seen before. These guys are all migrating to Washington because they see things as a little easier up here for them. To top it off California is looking at releasing 40,000 inmates, most of them gang members...guess where they will more likely be moving to? Throw in a decreasing number of Law Enforcement Officers on the streets since the Governor doesnt see it as a priority you have one hell of a reciepy for disaster. I am doing what I can on my end by talking to legislatures and others higher up to stop this lunacy. The public is being kept in the dark mostly because the state feels that if Hispanic Gangs are put out on front street that the hispanic community will be offended. Time to put a real wall up at the southern border and send people home...even the ones getting released arent being sent back.

one-eyed Bob
10-23-2009, 08:08 PM
If your predictions come to pass, we will see vigilante-ism appear, I believe.

Bushcraft
10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
And the problem with that in this case is?

GlennGTR
10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Sad thing is the government will side with the poor unfortunate gang bangers and demonize the man that was trying to protect his home and family. As long as welfare benefits, health care and food stamps are freely given to illegals the problem will only grow at an ever faster pace.

Randy
10-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Sorry if I derailed this deer hunting thread with my personal issues. What you all say is true about drugs and gangs, but best left to the political side I suppose.

So, as EdC says, "Where's all the big WA state deer pics?" :)

GlennGTR
10-23-2009, 09:37 PM
The deer in my area are just starting to get rambunchous. I plan on going out in the morning for a couple of hours but wont shoot anything thats not real nice since I would have to burn a day of sick leave to get it out. Will be hunting harder as the week progresses. Sorry to have ranted

David in OR
10-23-2009, 09:55 PM
David in Wa.

You will need a clam gun, and mooching rod.:)

What the hell are those?

GlennGTR
10-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Clam gun is a big metal tube that you use to dig up razor clams. A mooching rod is a kind of jiging rod for salmon fishing. I flyfish only so dont know much about the use of such a vulgar device.

Bushcraft
10-23-2009, 10:09 PM
What the hell are those?

Better get used to 'em. Quick like.

David in OR
10-23-2009, 10:24 PM
They sound like very clever devices, I'm sure.

Jim N
10-24-2009, 12:35 PM
David,

Being charged by an enraged Goeduck can be a life changing experience. Remember, use enough clam gun!

David in OR
10-25-2009, 12:46 PM
What is the perfect mountain clam gun? One of these days I might head up to AK for a high clam hunt, like one those Timberline deals. I'll want something lightweight but not too lightweight for the caliber, something that looks good in trip report photos, that will earn me the respect of experienced hunters.

Jim N
10-25-2009, 01:12 PM
David,

Much depends on what type of clams you are pursuing and how you choose to hunt them. If you are going for razors any clam gun will suffice as they are fairly thin shelled and docile, even when wounded.

Littlenecks have thicker shells and tend to run in packs which argues for a large bore repeater of some type. Butters are more rare but do have they heavier shells. Butters also commonly carry paralytic shellfish toxin and their bite can turn nasty in a hurry. Many REI and Eddie Bauer types go for a traditional double while grungy NW bubba types often use home made units they cobble up out of very large heat exchanger cores. It's a personal thing.

Few areas around here really lend themselves to a classic High Clam Hunt although really extreme high winter tides do happen. Remember, clams can't get all the water they need from their prey or browse - they must have a nearby water source.

David in OR
10-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Jim, thanks. For the littlenecks and butters, then, I'm wondering about a red dot for quicker acquisition and followup shots.

snakey2
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a PVC clam gun which weighs much less than the metal ones. It comes in handy when you are walking many miles to that secret clam bed! As for caliber anything over 4 inches will handle any clam IMO (even the "pack clams" can be easily taken if you gun is light enough to handle quickly). I saw my first signs of "rutty" behavior down here. found a small tree shredded with some good track around it. I hope the rut hits before the season ends.

one-eyed Bob
10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
My wife just asked me why I was laughing. You're killing me!

Jim N
10-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Snakey,

I hear ya! Those rutty clams do get kind of skunky though!

Ed C
10-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Snakey,

I hear ya! Those rutty clams do get kind of skunky though!

Jim and Snakey
As you both know properly cared for clams result in good eats.
Some of the old trophies you might have to make into chowder.
Don't be huntin em if you are not going to eat them.
I trophy clam hunt so I will continue hunting in the rut.

Jim N
10-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Ed,

My bad - I just gotta learn not to haul them back to town draped over the hood of the car.

snakey2
10-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Ed I will take a trophy clam if I get the chance but usually get the meat before that happens.The same with deer and elk.