PDA

View Full Version : Little rant....

OLDGOAT
10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Why is it that it is so hard to find good hunting companions??????

A:Good ethical and moral standards (Fair Chase)
B:Some availible time
C:Some physical ability
D:Some availible money

Except for A you don't nessacarily need a lot of B,C, and D.

I move to AK and I expected a hard time finding a girlfriend.;) I never expected a hard time finding a good group of people to enjoy this place with.:mad:

If you have hunting buddies that have all those be greatful. You are truly blessed.

Stepping off the soapbox in 3......2......1.......

Regards
John

GlennGTR
10-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Know exactly what you mean. I had a guy opt out last minute on a hunt we planed months in advace because his girlfriend told him he needed to be around for their dating aniversary. A different friend couldnt get the concept of muzzle control and I wasnt so comfortable having a 300WSM pointing at my back when he walked behind me. Others have canceled when they herd rumors that I was some sort of sadist when it came to walking into areas miles from a road. This site seems too have a good number of folk who believe will fit the bill of good hunting partners. After all its about getting back in there away from the crowds.

Mark
10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
I have a hunting buddy with great ethics, hunts off road like I do and is very safe. Unfortunately, the Air Force is transferring him to Colorado Springs in 14 days. So the search begins again for me but if anyone is looking for a good hunting buddy in Colorado Springs…….

OLDGOAT
10-15-2009, 04:58 PM
GlenGTR,
We must have seen the same movie....... Guys bugging out at the last minute are my favorite. Also, the guy needing to be around for the dating annaversery is a good one. Haven't heard that one yet. LOL.

Yes, it does seem that those on this site are all on the same page. I guess virtual hunting buddies are better than none. I will take what I can get.

Thanks for "getting it" gentlemen.

John

CCH
10-15-2009, 05:06 PM
B & D can make me a sucky partner but I like to think that makes the time one spends with me all that more precious. :D

evanhill
10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Time spent with you is indeed precious. Precious in much the same way that a well aged piece of Stilton cheese is held in universal regard.

CCH
10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Better precious, rare and strongly fragrant than common, stale and tasteless. ;) It takes one of refined tastes to appreciate Stilton and it's certainly not for everyone. That's what makes it special. Some people just don't know any better than Velveeta.

Ed C
10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
Oh crimeiny oldgoat John. Get some stuff scouted out I'm on my way:D

Otoejet
10-15-2009, 09:16 PM
As I get ready to head out tomorrow morning, I have to say I truly married into the right family. Will be meeting my father-in-law, brother-in-law, wife's cousin and picking up B-I-L #1 on the way through Ft. Collins tomorrow. The brothers may be younger and a bit better fit for the long haul, but they always haul me and push me around the mountains. It took me about 10 years out here before I found good hunting pards. They are to be treasured.

Sawtooth
10-16-2009, 07:10 AM
I only have a few folks, and daughters, who ramble, hunt, fish, and backcountry ski with me. Truly rare and wonderful people, all.

snakey2
10-16-2009, 09:59 AM
At least where you are you have choices. Try even finding a hunter where I live! Since my father quit I have done most of my hunting on my own but maybe one day another person, as good a companion as my dad, will come along. Keep looking for the right people to share the woods with.

CCH
10-16-2009, 11:04 AM
I have to say that pretty much the only people I hunt with, I've met on this forum and EVERY one of them is a class act that I'd happily hunt with again. Now I'm a small dose sort of guy (a little bit of CCH can go a LONG way) so I'm not sure the converse is true.

Sawtooth
10-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Wrong, CCH. You're welcome in my camp any time, any place. As you have been for years.

If I could only get you to carry bigger boxes of wine. ;)

evanhill
10-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I'll bet Sawtooth likes Stilton cheese, too ;)

CCH
10-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Sawtooth's sense of smell has been somewhat blunted over the years. Let's just say, I'm like flowers in his camp.

Sawtooth, my local store is now stocking a 1L bottle of that type and it's a couple grades up in taste reportedly.

OLDGOAT
10-16-2009, 12:13 PM
MMMM......
5 day old Stilton found in the bottom of your pack.....
Probably would be great with some of Patrick's casserole.....
Not sure if that qualifies as bear bait, but I am sure they would know where you were at :D

Sounds like you all have a pretty good time. Again, you are blessed. Soak it up.

If any of you all end up in SE AK let me know. I can guide non residents for Deer and Black Bear. I have a few spots that are pretty off the map and that is saying something coming from a Land Surveyor.:eek:

John

Sawtooth
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Sawtooth's sense of smell has been somewhat blunted over the years. Let's just say, I'm like flowers in his camp.

Sawtooth, my local store is now stocking a 1L bottle of that type and it's a couple grades up in taste reportedly.

Then next time we're out, I'll carry YOURS. The only problem with last time is that I was out there a few days ahead of you and anything I would have carried in would have been long gone. :D

Randy
10-16-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd echo what CCH says...the folks I've met over the net and face to face are all class acts. Fact is, I have been in some big, beautiful country with a few of them, carried a rifle and fly rod with a few and just shared a campfire at times. When you meet these guys and gals they are the same person shaking your hand as they are giving advice, sharing tips and photos and stories on the boards. The only exception I've found is that they are more giving and generous in person. I've got to think there may be a few AK residents lurking out there in the Kifaru ether you may be able to hook up with and hit the trail.

OLDGOAT
10-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Randy,
I think you are probably right. The one Kifaruite that I have run into from Southeast AK was very helpful. He gave me some great real world info on tipi's with all the rain we get. Good chap...

And you say these kind folks are better in person??!! I gotta make it to a rondy.

Regards
John

Doc
10-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Of all of the criteria you list, time is the most difficult to organise.
With people deployed to the GWOT, getting ready to go, or catching up with their families after getting home, it can be hard to find the time to get away chasing critters.

GlennGTR
10-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Well for those of you in Washington getting togeather shouldnt be too hard. Im on the wet side though so traveling is a little of an issue but not if its planed well in advance. I might be looking at getting non resident elk tags for Oregon also so I can hunt where I grew up around Seaside. Saddle Mt unit is full of big Rosevelt elk and I know the ground intimatly.

Uncle Jake
10-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Old Goat Mr. John-
I am moving up to Anchorage, AK starting this Wednesday! I'd probably guess though, that by SE AK you mean Ketchican or further south :(.

I probably won't be able to hunt up there for a year or so, but I do make a good sherpa, if some what on the tall side. :D

OLDGOAT
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Uncle Jake,
A big thanks for the offer to be a packer!!! I might just take you up on that come spring bear time. I might just be in Cordova come May for some fishing/Bear hunting. That would be an easy hop for you from LosAnchorage.

Also, I am really glad to hear that you are making the trip to The Good Land. It is a great place. If you ever find yourself in Juneau be sure to contact me.
Some advice:
Get your AK drivers licence ASAP. Be sure to read the test manual as I failed it the fist time. That way you can get a resident licence a lot easier come 10/21/10.

Good luck up there. If you need any advice or have any questions feel free to to PM me.

John

Timberline
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
A good hunting companion is by far the toughest trophy in hunting, which is why I so often hunt alone.

Uncle Jake
10-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Mr. John-

thanks for the heads up. I am going to try to get my drivers license tomorrow afternoon. What test?!?!?!

I rolled in to Anchorage last night, after driving 2700 miles on the ALCAN. Every kind of weather except hail. Slept in the back of my truck- stinking cold outside of Whitehorse with lots of wind!

And I am serious about helping pack meat, I just have to fit it into the work schedule :rolleyes:.

"Have ZXR, will travel" is my motto!

Hopefully I will have some of my firearms up here by then, to keep the bears from eatin' me!