PDA

View Full Version : $3,682.00

Songdog
10-14-2009, 07:20 PM
...that's the cost to replace the Ruger Red Label and loaded Kifaru Pack (containing a nice pair of Leica binocs, Dozier knife, Hyperflow filter among other things) that was stolen out of the back of my truck in my driveway last night.

On the odd chance that someone sees a TG1 in coyote brown with an unpadded power pulls belt on eBay or Craigs List, I'd appreciate a quick msg or call.

moho
10-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Ouch! My condolences. However unlikely, I hope you recover something. Otherwise, I hope the thieves get their just rewards.

At times it seems I'm just being an old fart, lamenting the degradation of our social process. "Hell in a hand basket…" sort of stuff. At other times, it seems increasingly apparent that's just reality, what our society has both acquiesced to and voted for, often in ignorance and complacency. The result is increasingly predatory.

I used to pack heat for the very rare occasion of an uppity critter. That's changing fast, even in remote parts of MT and AK. And for most of the last 40 years or so, I never locked my doors unless I was going to be gone for a day or more. That too has changed.

KurtB
10-14-2009, 07:48 PM
I felt bad about losing a badlands 2200 and a couple of knives worth maybe $100 during elk season. Too bad about your loss.

Bullfrog
10-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow - I'm sorry about that loss - that is pretty heavy...

If you carry homeowners insurance and your deductible is low enough, might make sense to file a claim - property stolen from a vehicle is covered under most policies...

Any chance a less than scrupulous neighbor or one of their kids saw you load the pack in the back of your trunk and acted on it? Unless theft is common in your area, what are the chances of someone hitting your truck at random? Just a thought.

Best of luck...

CCH
10-14-2009, 08:09 PM
THAT SUCKS!!! I'm sorry to hear it.

Doug Fir
10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
The memories that go with each piece are priceless. I remember your post when you got the Dozier knife. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. It could have been any of us so we all feel your pain.

PA

DocGP
10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Man, that royally stinks...

If it helps any, vintageknives.com has a couple of Doziers in stock now. I really like my Delta Traveler, and would LOVE to have the rams horn variety!!

Hang in there.

Doc

Ed C
10-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Things like that upset me:mad:

Kmassaro
10-15-2009, 06:28 AM
Having had the same thing happen to me years ago, and having my hunting partner have his pack taken, I'm sorry it turned out this way.

We don't tend to think about it, but when you add up what we put in our backpacks, it's a small fortune. Binos, rangefinders, Kifaru packs, custom knives, etc....and let's not even talk about firearms.

Hope you find the stuff. The Kifaru packs are serialized, so you can flag that part of it. Good luck.

TR
10-15-2009, 06:39 AM
File a police report. Watch Craigslist and hit the local pawnshops for the next 6 months. It'll turn up.

The doper will sell the rifle for a hundred bucks, the Dozier and the pack for 20 and the Leica's for 50 bucks.

snakey2
10-15-2009, 10:16 AM
That really sucks! It has gotten so bad around here that we can't leave anything in sight in a LOCKED vehicle anymore day or night. Hope you not only get your stuff back but the perp gets caught too.

Ralph
10-15-2009, 10:22 AM
It's not just the money. 30-some years ago I had my original Bergans gray canvas rucksack stolen along with all my gear except the sleeping bag - some handmade and ultralight for the time. That pack had a couple of hundred trail miles on it both east and west. It also had all my old Boy Scout patches and most of the arrmy stuff, too, most of the stuff was irreplaceable. Not much cash value I suppose, but a lot of memories. After all this time, I'm still irritated by the loss.

Bushcraft
10-15-2009, 10:37 AM
What a bummer of a deal Jonathan. With any luck, the rotten bastard(s) will make a mistake and you'll catch them and recoup some, or all, of your stuff.

I'm guessing you've already done it, but I'd encourage you to carpet bomb all the pawn shops and gun shops that take trade-ins or commission sales. Keep an eye on Craig's List too.

Allen

Songdog
10-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the comments. I filed a police report. Definitely gets frustrating when 75% of the local police force is assigned to "traffic" and writes 5mph over speeding tickets to soccer moms with only 25% of the police force being allocated to crime like this. Much easier to write soccer moms than catch the real bad guys.

I was reminded though to keep it in perspective. A young family at church has a 2 year old with leukemia that the doc offered the family four weeks with their son without treatment or maybe 6 months if they wanted to stretch it with chemo. This is just "stuff"...nice stuff albeit, but I'll take my wife and five kids happy and healthy any day of the week.

Now that being said, if I ever catch one of these guys the call to the police will be with instructions to bring the coroner with them...

Montanapete1
10-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Now that being said, if I ever catch one of these guys the call to the police will be with instructions to bring the coroner with them...

Just don't be standing there with the red label smoking!

Countryboy
10-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Man, that sucks. Hope you get your stuff back. My best friend got burglarized a few years back, we haven't yet found out who did it. Impotent rage is the worst rage, to be sure.

Speaking of perspective, I just lost two friends last week. Their daughter had been living with a boyfriend, and left him due to abuse. So this psycho takes it for a while, until she gets a new boyfriend. Then he gets some of his gangbanger buddies together and goes to her parents'(my friends') house and shoots them to death in their living room. Then he goes to her new boyfriend's house, kicks the door in and shoots the guy dead. Leaves the girl alive, and as he's walking out of the house, tells the girl that if she thinks her boyfriend geting killed is something, she should check on her mom. What a loser! At least the cops got him and his cronies.

The only good thing to come out of it so far, my wife now understands completely why my Glock is always within arm's reach, and my girls now understand why I tell them I will be so picky about who they are allowed to date.

I will be sure to keep an eye out, and drop you a line if I see any of this stuff. Good luck.

Lab-Roamer
10-15-2009, 07:30 PM
THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
That is one worry I always have when parking my vehicle.
If we had some good laws in this country, these piles of dung wouldn't have had hands left to steal the stuff. Maybe to harsh, but stealing and thieves really get under my skin. With times the way they are, my guess is it's only going to get worse.

Anyways, enough ranting, it's along shot but maybe you could post pictures and other info and we could all keep an eye out for ya.

Smokepole
10-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Crap......

flamingo 7
10-17-2009, 11:54 AM
Songdog,

I know that sucks. Four years ago someone took an old pair of Leupold Binos and all my CD's from the truck on Halloween. Found the CD's two blocks down the streret without the leather case; guess they didn't like classical music. The binoes never showed up.

Michael & Tanner
10-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Songdog,

I feel your pain.

My truck was broken into while I was at the dog park a couple weeks back. The truck was in plain site. They opened the driver's side door (the far side), and grabbed anything in the cab.

Got my Kifaru TG1 with harness and padded pals belt, Gen 2, in foliage. It it were my Kifaru windshirt and a small pod. Not to mention knives, FAK, flashlights, compass, etc.

Grabbed my work bag, which had my Hilti PD30 laser in it. Got the phone, charger, and power converter.

Bastards even stole my new Filson dog coat for Tanner.

Thankfully, they left my fishing vest, as I suppose it was too loaded to fit into whatever bag they were stuffing things into.

The police tell me that the thieves will move approx. 1 block per 30 seconds. I had 18 minutes on the meter when I left the truck, and 6 remaining when I got back. Total time to grab my stuff: 12 minutes. In plain site.

It's awful to be invaded like that. My consolation is the knowledge that I will, someday, catch someone in the act. And all my dreams will come true....

Good luck,

Michael