PDA

View Full Version : Needing Kifaru Colorado Goat advice

KurtB
10-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Just got a call from the DOW stating that a hunter turned in his goat tag and that after 12 years of waiting I am next in line. Unit is 15 up by the Eisenhower tunnel. I do not want a monster goat, just a reasonably mature one. Does anyone have any experience in that unit? I need to decide in next 48 hours and I really am leaning on doing it. Anyone hunted that unit?

Season starts on Oct 19th. Holy crap! I feel like I have to do it and if it doesn't work, I can still say I hunted goats. Any advice hugely appreciated.

HiCntry
10-14-2009, 03:11 PM
I don't have any advice other than good luck, I'm very jealous since I only last year started building points. You might try the forums at The Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Society site, the url is www.bighornsheep.org. It doesn't get a ton of traffic but it's all colorado info and units for sheep/goats, the people are super helpful and this time of year is probably as busy as it gets there.

KurtB
10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the web link. Heading there now. Got a sheep in 2000 so this would be a wonderful trophy to go with it. Little bit concerned with early snow amounts. If anyone can chime in with what they have seen up around the Eisenhower tunnel for snow that would be great as well. I hate not having time to plan.

colohunter303
10-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Get on the DOW sight and look at the statistics. look like quite a few got taken in that unit last year. it gives exact drainages and locations to where they were taken. looks like the average horn length of the goats takken was around the mid 8's with one reaching that magical 9" mark on one side. that was just last year. the data goes back 3 or 4. good luck and you better take that opportunity or alot of people are gonna be really upset with you.

Kmassaro
10-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Good for you. Hope to see a splendid photo in a week or so.

KurtB
10-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm driving up there tomorrow to check snowpack. Going to have to be a solo hunt and I need to make sure before I take it, that I have a reasonable chance of getting around up there. Just wish I had more than a few days to check things out. In the meantime, I am dropping about everything to explore this place.

Ermine
10-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Wow. I cannot believe the late notice. It is cool you got a tag, but man little time to plan and scout. Good luck. I am no help o that unit.

khalidthesoljah
10-14-2009, 07:01 PM
so jealous! a goat or sheep hunt is my dream!

Sandbrew
10-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Kurt

Shoot me an email I have a G7 4th season tag just across I-70. I have spent a bunch of time in G15. Not many goat but a few good ones. I buddy of mine guided a guy in G15 this year and another friend killed one in G15 Monday. Sandbrew

Sandbrew@aol.com

KurtB
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
sandbrew, email inbound in a second. Thanks

Sandbrew
10-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Take it!

I can"t help you with the packout but I will across the highway in G7. I can glass back for goats on your side.

Sandbrew

KurtB
10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Sandbrew, Good talking to you today. I drove up and checked things out at the Eisenhower. Not that much snow, but with no time to scout and enjoy the tag, I am going to pass. My wife, son and I all have goat points as well as sheep points. I'll be on a goat mountain as guide or hunter soon enough.

Make sure you post pics!

Sandbrew
10-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I'll certainly see goat on your side of I-70 now. I will post pics of my goat in and on my Siwash when/if I get one.

Sandbrew

Ermine
10-15-2009, 11:23 PM
If you dont want it. I want the tag! Ha if only it worked like that.

KurtB
10-16-2009, 05:47 AM
If it would have been 3 plus 1 points, I would have rolled the dice. No doubt you will see a herd over on the north side now. I hope to spend 1 to 2 weeks on my goat hunt and the time simply does not exist in my business with no notice. No worries, maybe someone else will get the call now.

Ermine
10-16-2009, 06:48 AM
Yea I think I would do the same thing. A goat hunt is something I would want to plan for and scout and not have to be rushed into it.

wd
10-16-2009, 11:42 AM
They offered my a Big Horn ewe tag the same way, 2 days before the season opened on the 10th. I also turn it down and I really felt bad. But... planning, scouting and dreaming are a good part of the hunt.

I will try again next year!