PDA

View Full Version : Successful First Elk Hunt!

khalidthesoljah
10-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Well after all the help from you guys i made it into the woods on friday afternoon. Scouted from pagoda peak, and found where we wanted to hunt. The next day we got up at 4AM and started hiking down towards where we wanted to go through way more snow than we thought there would be. We also saw a lot more people than we thought we would... It seemed like everywhere we looked people were flashing their headlamps at us in disapproval. We set up in a meadow and waited for the sun to rise, as soon as the sun came up shots went off all around us. We then got back up and walked around in the dark dark timber and saw three cows running through the woods, no shot. At about 8 we entered a meadow and met some guy who had just shot a nice 6 point bull and was waiting for it to die. we then hiked up to the ridge and saw another guy butchering a small bull. From there we walked about another mile and set up in a meadow to take a break. Started eating a tigers milk and all of a sudden a bull comes running through the meadow where i am posted, then another bull, then finally what i was looking for, a cow! i took a shot and hit her pretty good. We tracked her about 3/4 of a mile and she was dead in the dark timber, then the work begun! It took us about 4 hours to butcher her, we de-boned and hung it up, then we had about a 3 mile hike straight up and 2000 vertical. Made it back to camp in the dark! We slept about 12 hours and then got up sunday and made 2 trips out with all the meat and camp! Great first elk hunt!

After packing all that meat out on our backs i have never been so sore in my life, my achilles tendons are swollen to about 3 inches thick...
And i fit half a cow elk in my spike camp!

Sorry for the rambling story but i just wanted to thank everyone for the help and for inspiring me to really get out there and backpack hunt!!!! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/jakethetorg/IMG_1323.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/jakethetorg/IMG_1309.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v449/jakethetorg/IMG_1329.jpg

just a feed boy
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Congratulations, nice story, incrediable what you can put in a pack

Kmassaro
10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Good for you! That will be something that you'll be proud of for the rest of your days.

Otoejet
10-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Congratulations on punching that cow tag.

Levi
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Sweet moses, I'd have a heck of a lot more then just a swollen achilles tendons if I packed out half an elk up and over 2000 feet of elevation gain!

Congradulations on a job well done! What state were you hunting in....CO?

Levi

Hoogster
10-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Good job Jake.
I always thought a spike camp to be rather small.
1/2 an elk!! I guess I was wrong.

Any pics of that?

Bill

GlennGTR
10-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Nicely done and well told. Congrats on your first elk and backpack hunt. Nice shot of your gear also.

Huntsman22
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Didja keep her teeth?

khalidthesoljah
10-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Good job Jake.
I always thought a spike camp to be rather small.
1/2 an elk!! I guess I was wrong.

Any pics of that?

Bill

Thanks!

I do not have any pictures of the pack out, but if you can imagine a spike camp packed as full and as densely as possible with a bunch of gear in a pillow case hanging off the cargo chair, that was it!

I really like the pack! i can fit a three day camp in it pretty easily...

I am already thinking about maybe getting something bigger though...

and huntsman...

I kept one tooth!

Huntsman22
10-13-2009, 05:28 AM
hillbilly elk from the souf?

Smokepole
10-13-2009, 05:51 AM
hillbilly elk from the souf?

He said he kept one, he didn't say she had just one.

Congratulations on your first elk.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Congrats!!

I love that area, but have run into some old timers that think they own "their meadow". I had some fellas try to chase me off meadows before, said they had been hunting there since 1979. Once we got to talking they actually turned out to be nice fellers and invited me for some supper.

P.S. Thanks for breaking in my dream pack, could you please send it to me and I will send you my black g1 spike camp.;)

Herb
10-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Super hunt, and those memories just get better as time goes on.

I really like my G2 Spikecamp too!!

snakey2
10-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Way to start on your elk hunting journey.

charlieh
10-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Great job! We hunted near there for years; that's where my first elk came from, and I'll always remember that first hunt. Here in the South, one tooth is always considered far superior to none. Congratulations on finding it.

Timberline
10-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Great stuff. Congratulations. Sounds like you were in an area with plenty of elk.

hammbone
10-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Kahlid,
I was the guy you saw butchering the bull towards the top of the ridge. I noticed you guys as soon as you turned to head West. I figured it was you as you were utilizing a kifaru gunbearer. I yelled your name but it was too windy. I'll post some pics tonight. Congrats on your cow!

khalidthesoljah
10-14-2009, 10:02 AM
Kahlid,
I was the guy you saw butchering the bull towards the top of the ridge. I noticed you guys as soon as you turned to head West. I figured it was you as you were utilizing a kifaru gunbearer. I yelled your name but it was too windy. I'll post some pics tonight. Congrats on your cow!

haha! alright! we were gonna come over and say hi but you looked pretty busy... didnt wanna take you out of the zone! Looked like a nice little bull cant wait to see some pictures. right after we saw you and headed west down the ridge is when i shot my cow, maybe 30 minutes after we saw you.

Congrats to you too!