PDA

View Full Version : Maine Moose

Timber_tiger
10-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Well I have not been on here for awhile but I am back.
Clint one of my hunting partners drew a Maine Moose tag. So.. I flew with his brother out of Seattle and meet Clint and WVMNTEER in Bangor Maine for the hunt during the last week of September.

We had done a fair amount of scouting and on Sunday evening the night before the opener we found what we considered to be THE SPOT. It had rubs everywhere with fresh tracks all over the place. We made plans to be their before daylight the next mourning.

We arrived at THE SPOT about a 1/2hour before shooting time, took care of some business items and then Clint cow called. At 6:00 we saw a bull about 350 yards out walking towards us. He came about half way and stopped. Another cow call started him up walking along grunting with each step. I was running a video , WVMNTEER was the range finder and he was calling out the range 100, 75, 65, 55 and the bull stopped. Ripped up a bush for a bit while CLint his brother whispered to each other about the bulls rack. After 10 minutes Clint had seen enough and said he was goint to take him. At 20 mintues after 6:00 on opening mourning Clint had his Maine bullwinkle the rack is 53 inches wide nice tines and fair palms he weighed a little over 1000 lbs.

Even though it was not a long hunt it was exciting and we got to see alot of country the rest of the week. We saw a bull every day we were there. I for one would not mind going back for a Maine moose of my own someday.

snakey2
10-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Outstanding. Ain't moose hunting great fun?

Brent13
10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Fantastic, and how in &$*)*(#$ did you get him loaded into the truck??

Brent

evanhill
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
Good to hear from you Timbertiger.

David in OR
10-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Fantastic, and how in &$*)*(#$ did you get him loaded into the truck??

This was my question, too. :)

Levi
10-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing the adventure with us...great looking moose! You gotta let us in on how you loaded that bugger into the back of the truck.

Levi

CCH
10-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I have to say that seeing a bull moose in the back of a truck was the most impressive of several very nice photos, especially a truck with a cap on it. Having loaded a cow elk into the back of a truck w/cap by myself, I am duly impressed. Great job all around!

Smokepole
10-13-2009, 05:54 AM
I have to say that seeing a bull moose in the back of a truck was the most impressive of several very nice photos......!

Yup, that's my favorite too, thanks for posting these.

HiCntry
10-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Thanks for sharing the adventure with us...great looking moose! You gotta let us in on how you loaded that bugger into the back of the truck.

Levi

That was going to be my first question as well. Looks like a fun hunt.

Wanderlustr
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Very nice!
Thanks for posting up.

We can play - how'd they do that? :)
I think it is cut in half.... like for a shoulder mount. :confused: Still would be a struggle with several guys.

Montanapete1
10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Looks as if it's cut in half. A little easier but not much!

Ralph
10-13-2009, 04:19 PM
One of the scariest things I did in the army was in training - dismantling a 105mm howitzer. The largest unit was the 980 lb. barrel assembly. With 5 of us on each side we had to pick up the barrel and move it across the room to place it on the barrel cradle - very carefully since if anyone mis-stepped or slipped we would have that 980 lb. barrel sitting in our laps.

Handling that kind of weight is always a problem, doing it within the confines of a truck body even more so.

Timberline
10-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Very nice. Great photos. Congrats.

Am I wrong or is that a pretty darn good moose for Maine?

Timber_tiger
10-13-2009, 06:11 PM
You guys are good.

We did cut it in half leaving 2 ribs on the rear half ( makes for good handles). The 4 of us drug the hind half and loaded it. We were struggling with the front half when some other hunters came by and offered a hand. With 7 of us it was still a struggle but a whole lot easier than if it had been just the 4 of us. Still no comparison to the 2x 2 1/2 mile pack the 4 of us did for his 08 Idaho Shiras.

I do not know how it would rank as a Maine moose. But I do know that of the other bulls that we saw dead and alive there were only two that compared with this one. One was probably a little wider but slightly smaller paddles (he was alive) and the other was a little narrower but his paddles were very wide (he was dead).

timbertiger

Ken
10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
WOW!!...nice job fellas....congrats on a great looking Moose!

What zone?

William Clunie
10-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Good job fellas! I had two hunters this year. They shot nice bulls, one 40-inches and another 49. A great season -- excellent cool weather to get the bulls moving. Just a lovely time to be in the woods.

Timberline,
Maine usually scores a few B&C bulls each year. I hunted with Kifaru member Ken and his buddies a few years back, and we saw one that I believe would have made the books. I've seen several other bulls in that same area that would easily make the books. It's a wonderful week in the Maine woods.

wvmnteer
10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
What's wrong, you western boys need some advice from eastern guys on how to handle a downed moose?:D Just kidding. I don't have time to post now, but I'll have some more pics and a few gear comments coming later today.

wvmnteer
10-14-2009, 03:27 PM
I can't add too much to this report except to say that I've been extremely lucky to be able to tag along on two moose hunts in two years with a fine group of hunters. Last year, Clint drew a left over shiras moose tag in Idaho. After assembling "Team Moose" Idaho Edition, Clint proceeded to find a fine Shiras. This resulted in the 2 x 2 1/2 mile pack mentioned by TT before.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fred122_bucket/mosse2008151.jpg

Since Clint is apparently the luckiest human ever when it comes to drawing tags, he called me in June to inform me that I had failed to draw a Maine tag but, once again, he'd drawn yet another moose tag. (This is his third moose tag in three years, in three different states!) So the planning began. I couldn't have been happier to find out that all members of "Team Moose" would be able to make this trip. This time for the Maine Edition.

TT pretty much summed up the actual 20 minutes of hunting. We clearly found the right spot. I can only imagine what that bull thought when he saw this group of four grown men all hunkered down looking back at him. Whatever it was, it paled in comparison to the excitement of watching this very large animal rapidly close the distance down to about 50 yds. A Canadian moose sure is bigger than a WV whitetail! Anyway, a few more pics of the trip.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fred122_bucket/CONVAR28.jpg

Some very serious planning going on here. We rented a small cabin from a local outfitter. Sorry. No tipi shots from this trip.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fred122_bucket/CONVAR31.jpg

Note the Ford F-250 directly behind this bull. While moose are quite large, they don't seem to be the sharpest animal in woods.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fred122_bucket/moose7.jpg

Another resident of the North Maine Woods.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fred122_bucket/CONVAR22.jpg

Zone 4 bull.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l313/fred122_bucket/moose1.jpg

I wish I could give more off a gear report. We used our LateSeason packs as day packs (for about 20 minutes). They were ready for that first load of meat. Had the LongHunters back at the truck just waiting to carry those quarters. Obviously, that didn't happen. I will say that I purchased a pair of RailRiders Mid weight Versa Tac pants for this trip. I did wear them quite a bit this summer in preparation for this trip. I really like them. So much so that I'm going to buy the light weight version as well. They may be just a little noisy for close quarters in heavy brush, but not near as bad as most nylon pants. Very soft feel.

Clint shot his last two moose with 200 gr. Nosler Accubond bullets from a .300RUM. These ARE NOT moose worthy bullets! They do form a mushroom but lose a lot of mass. More importantly, the penetration is very poor. First, shot on this ME bull was at 50 yds (quartering toward us) in the front shoulder. The bullet did not enter the chest cavity. Very similar results on the shiras last year.

Finally, there is a certain member of this forum who is was extremely helpful in answering many Maine moose hunting questions. Mr. Clunie, thank you very much for all of your help. It was greatly appreciated. I hope to meet you in person some day.

William Clunie
10-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Travis,
Hope you can stop in here too. Next time use the Partition bullets that Nosler makes. Those and the Barnes are the only ones that I've seen work perfectly, at all angles. Good job WV.

William Clunie

Ken
10-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Great pic's WVM!!!

I've been along with WC on a zone 5 hunt a couple of years ago...simply awesome country!!

If I ever get lucky enough to draw I hope it's in one of the Northwoods zones...course 7 down Clunies way is a dandy, as is 9 (IIRC) near Jackman.

Congrats again to you fellas.

wvmnteer
10-16-2009, 06:20 AM
William,

It's funny you mention Partitions and X bullets because, after seeing the Accubond's poor performance on moose last year, someone kept telling Clint he might want to consider a new load including a Partition. He's says he's convinced now.

Ken,

I agree about the country. I'm in the same boat as you, I'll keep putting in.