PDA

View Full Version : GPS Question (different than previous threads)

CCH
10-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm looking for recommendations for a relatively inexpensive GPS for my son. He has expressed interest and anything that gets him outdoors right now is something I want to pursue. He REALLY wants mapping but we are REALLY on a budget. Any suggestions for a Garmin that I might find used that would fit the bill? I haven't kept up since my little Geko has done all I need but I think the mapping will make it more fun for him and that's a feature he pines for. Trying to keep it under $150 as a Christmas present. He absolutely does not need the latest, greatest as he won't know the difference but I'm real partial to Garmins due to past durability tests I've witnessed. USB hook up cable availability important. Thanks.

David in OR
10-08-2009, 10:20 AM
For $100-$110, you can get the basic Garmin eTrex H (make sure it has the "H", you really don't want the old receiver!). No mapping, but good reception. I'm very happy with it, but I don't care all that much about maps on the screen. I just print out my own topos and use the GPS for getting a quick bearing or present coord's. (Cf. Dick Blust's essays).

If you get this unit, there's a place--only one that I know of--to get the proper serial-to-USB cable. $13.00. Let me know if you need the URL, and I'll dig it up.

[Edit: Sorry. Failed to see that you were talking about a used one. I quoted a price on a new eTrex H.]

CCH
10-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks. I would like the info on that serial to USB cable. I need one for my Geko. I'm with you on not caring about mapping but for a kid that's part of the "fun" aspect. I tried to talk him into a Geko myself.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I have a magellen explorist 400 and have had great luck with it. It came with topo map cd's and the wall charger/usb cable. I found it at Sams Club for a song a few years ago. My bud has the 500 model that gets him a color screen compared to my b/w. He picked his up off e-bay for a good price, but had to buy the new map cd for $112 from magellen. His new map cd is an upgrade, as it has "public" land and private land boundaries marked.

Here is a 200 model that still maps @ wally-world $99.99.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3504715

Good luck!

Uncle Jake
10-08-2009, 12:32 PM
PM inbound.

Dick Blust
10-08-2009, 12:34 PM
A quick second on David in OR's comment about the Garmin eTrex H. (WITH the H!.) It's the way to go for a GPS.

David in OR
10-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks. I would like the info on that serial to USB cable. I need one for my Geko. I'm with you on not caring about mapping but for a kid that's part of the "fun" aspect. I tried to talk him into a Geko myself.

Here's the post in which I was spraying about getting my eTrex connected:
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=18930

If you're using PC and not Mac, the process will be simpler.

Edit to add that I don't know what kind of connector the Geko takes--whether it's the same as the eTrex H.

Ken
10-09-2009, 07:07 PM
The Legend with an H...

Some inexpensive factory referbs here:

http://www.megagps.com/outdoor-bw-fixedmemory.aspx