PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout some good news...

Sawtooth
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
...for a change. I bowhunted five weekends in a row from late August to late September, here in Colorado. Every weekend I stepped off at the trailhead, put my head down, and humped as fast as I could to get to camp by dark on Friday nights (a couple of times after dark). Never met a soul going in, but coming out on Sunday or Monday afternoons, I would meet several hikers, mostly out for day hikes. The closer to the trailhead I got, the better they smelled and the more poodles I saw in tow. :D Without exception, everyone I met returned the smile I gave them, and many wanted me to stop so they could ask questions about the archery season, what game I was pursuing, how long was I hunting, etc. Several times I received compliments on the fact that I was hunting with a bow and hauling my camp on my back. One time, with Jon S. along, I ran into a fellow and his wife I had gone to high school with nearly 30years ago. We had a great chat and we got to meet his llamas. Good to see that at least some of the non-hunting public feels OK with what we spend a large part of our lives either preparing for or doing.

Kmassaro
10-07-2009, 10:38 PM
The past two weekends in Wyoming, I talked to some of the friendliest people in the world. Wide open country, and wide open people. Every person was thrilled to see us coming up from Colorado to hunt.

Wonderful folks. What a great state, with people worthy of it.

Herb
10-08-2009, 06:44 AM
We met three groups of hikers as we were packing out. Similar story, all were friendly, curious, and took the time to learn about what and how we were doing things.

CCH
10-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Good news is we're headed out in two weekend and I will be packing my trail friendly icebreaker (12 year old kid). If there are any hikers left in the woods, I'm sure we'll get a friendly reception. Me walking down the trail with a rifle, doesn't always have the same effect.

Sawtooth
10-08-2009, 09:42 AM
CCH,

Herb's goats have the same effect on people! :D

Smokepole
10-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I saved a bundle on my auto insurance.

William Clunie
10-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Good topic,
I had one group of moose hunters get their bull near Island Falls, Maine during the September season; a 856-pounder with a 40-inch spread. There are bigger ones out there for sure, but this one was a trophy for this fellow. His first moose.
The October season starts on the 12th and I'll be helping two hunter from PA in their efforts to secure a big bull. The rut is in full swing, so this should be a lot of fun.
This time of the year is spectacular. Like Patrick's "camp" blog, the time spent outdoors remains special no matter what I'm doing. Time spent around an evening campfire with hunting friends completes me as much as watching these hunters drop a huge animal.

Hope your hunting stories end on the same good note.

As the much younger and cooler dudes say, "IT'S ALL GOOD!"

William Clunie