PDA

View Full Version : Pointman question

revelation2012
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
I hate to take up a thread on this but is there a particular/specific purpose for the two common loops at the top back of the pointman? Thanks.

Ralph
10-07-2009, 09:25 PM
The common loops on the inside of all packs are for chambers and radio pockets.

revelation2012
10-07-2009, 11:19 PM
The common loops on the inside of all packs are for chambers and radio pockets.

Ralph, these are on the outside of the pack.

Ralph
10-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I don't have a Pointman, but on the packs I make I usually mount a pair of common loops on the outside, just above the shoulder straps, to hold a poncho or rain gear, rolled and secured by velcro/elastic straps or perhaps a coil of rope.

docw
10-08-2009, 02:15 AM
They should be fore dock and lock.

Blackfoot
10-08-2009, 03:31 AM
They are for Dock & Lock. It's one of the things that added to the Pointman when they rolled out the Generation 2. They have a set of four on the top of the pack, works just like the bottom. Can't say what works best up top, I bought a Gen 1 on clearance awhile back. Malice Claymores seem to be really popular on the Gen 1's, I use an Eagle Gas Mask pouch. Have you seen Woods Walker's posts about the Pointman?

-Blackfoot

Brotzie
10-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Just so we're all clear on nomenclature: I understand 'common loop' to mean the rectangular plastic loops like those used inside packs to hang chamber pockets from, as described by Ralph, or on the underside for mounting Cargo Chairs or Grab-Its. I see the Pointman has two of these on the outside, just below the top lid zipper.

My guess is that these would be used as guides for vertical lashing straps; this would be very useful for, e.g., a high mount piggyback.

Ralph
10-08-2009, 04:46 AM
The tabs, or tab loops are folded pieces of 1" webbing. These are used for Dock & Lock. The plastic hardware loops are used to hang chambers and L&L pockets, as guides for compression straps and for piggy-backing.

revelation2012
10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Brotzie and Raplph are correct they are the circular platic ones. It is the only pacl woth them attached in like manner. They were on the G1 model though too. I am not talking about the webbing loops added to the G2 for pod attachements. As you can see they are along to top perimeter of the lid opening right in the front of the pack.

https://www.kifaru.net/images/ptman_front.jpg

Ralph
10-08-2009, 08:29 AM
I believe those are guides for the wrap-around compression straps.

deadcat
10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah I've always wondered what they are there for. What are the ones on the inside for also? not the ones where the chamber pocket goes, but on the other side on the interior.

evanhill
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM
those are "loops of mystery", put there to entertain you with countless hours of speculation when you are stuck in a hurry up and wait holding pattern.

Chucker
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
evanhill: "...put there to entertain you with countless hours of speculation..."

You mean something like this?

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/crop-circle-06.jpg

Mel
10-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, I figured I better come in here and clear up the confusion. The common loops in question on the outside of the Pointman, just under the top lid zipper, were put there for attaching a vertical lash kit. The 3-bar slider on the end of the vertical lash strap goes into the common loop, and the slotted SR buckle on the other end of the strap clicks into the loop at the top of the lifter straps on the pack. This arrangement has 2 benefits, which is the ability to lash items to the top lid, and if you have the pack stuffed to the top, the straps can help take the stress off the top lid zipper.

The common loops on the inside at the top opposite from your back, are for attaching another chamber pocket, or an XL chamber pocket. The XL chamber pocket works great there, as it gives you a nice sized pocket to stuff things into, with the zipper opening right at the top. Hope this helps clear things up.

Mel

evanhill
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, at least we've still go crop circles to ponder.

Blackfoot
10-08-2009, 05:32 PM
What are the webbing loops on the inside about a quarter of the way down used or designed for?

Attach pullouts to the side of the bag, pull your hydration bladder closer to your back with a strap or cord, or something else all together?

-Blackfoot

steveb
10-08-2009, 06:01 PM
I think they are for a radio pouch. The strap that runs sideways on it attaches here to stabilize the load.

revelation2012
10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Just one more quick question.

I have a G1 ZXR and just aquired a G1 pointman. They both are listed as having a wraptech suspension. Except the ZXR has a much superior belt. Is the Pointman belt simply an omnibelt?

Mel
10-16-2009, 05:18 PM
R2012, the ZXR is WrapTech Plus suspension, and the Pointman is WrapTech suspension. The ZXR uses the same shoulder straps, torso pads, lumbar pad, and waistbelt as the EMR/MMR, but does not have the Duplex frame. Hope this helps.

Mel

revelation2012
10-16-2009, 08:06 PM
R2012, the ZXR is WrapTech Plus suspension, and the Pointman is WrapTech suspension. The ZXR uses the same shoulder straps, torso pads, lumbar pad, and waistbelt as the EMR/MMR, but does not have the Duplex frame. Hope this helps.

Mel

So is the belt on the pointman the same as the omnibelt?

Mel
10-16-2009, 09:11 PM
The Pointman and Navigator use the WrapTech belt, which is different than the Omni belt, and the Duplex belt.

Mel

revelation2012
10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
That clears it up for me. Thanks Mel.

Jeelan
10-16-2009, 11:22 PM
So is the belt on the pointman the same as the omnibelt?

hey mate

from what i can tell on the pics - on the Omni suspension bags, the belt actually velcros to the back of the lumbar pad and it not really "attached" to the stays where as on the Pointman, the stays sit in pockets on the waist belt itself. I'd say this would be the biggest difference between the two belts.

cheers
Jeelan

DVLSBRGD
05-10-2014, 10:11 AM
****NECROPOST****

Hey guys, I figured I better come in here and clear up the confusion. The common loops in question on the outside of the Pointman, just under the top lid zipper, were put there for attaching a vertical lash kit. The 3-bar slider on the end of the vertical lash strap goes into the common loop, and the slotted SR buckle on the other end of the strap clicks into the loop at the top of the lifter straps on the pack. This arrangement has 2 benefits, which is the ability to lash items to the top lid, and if you have the pack stuffed to the top, the straps can help take the stress off the top lid zipper.

The common loops on the inside at the top opposite from your back, are for attaching another chamber pocket, or an XL chamber pocket.......,,Hope this helps clear things up.

Mel

I had always wondered what these common loops were for. The the pamphlet that came with my Pointmans makes no mention of their intended use.