PDA

View Full Version : Tailgunner I or II as an E&E

revelation2012
10-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Do any of you use a tailgunner 1 or 2 for an E&E? I have an E&E but I just do not care for how that bag rides. I have given it a few weeks of carrying as an EDC and it is just plain uncomfortable to me. I know that is heresy against the beloved E&E but well . . . it is just not a comfortable carry for me.

I am looking at putting a tailgunner as an E&E on my larger pack. I just like the feel of these lumbar carry packs. Any of you use these as an E&E? I have seen some images attaching using the compression straps of the parent bag. For quick release I am looking at the same size of straps in small length and connecting via the molle straps and dock and lock buckles. Any other better methods for quick detachment of a tailgunner from a parent pack?

Also those who have used these which one do you prefer, the tailgunner I or II and why? I have a G1 scout but do not have the internal organization the G2 offers.

sovereign
10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
I have a TG2 that I used for a couple of months as an EE. A 13" Macbook Pro fits perfectly inside. I did not use it with a belt, just the shoulder strap. I had an Organizer on the front. Currently, I have been carrying the laptop in an Eagle FSBE2, as I can carry other stuff in there as well. My TG2 is for sale in the EE if interested...

RNAV(GPS)RWY 06
10-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Maybe, the X-Ray shoulder straps would make it more comfortable for you. It worked for me.

91xlt
10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
gotta say...the tg's get the nod over the e&e for me also...
if wanting to pack some chow/cook kit , the tgI will go with me...if just wanting some survival kit/gear the tgII

Pardner
10-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Didn't like the G1 Scout but now have 2 G2 Scouts -- different bag altogether. With a Maxped Janus up top and a Tad Op1 up front, it's my E&E (EDC/piggyback pack).

docw
10-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Over here in Iraq I use my scout as an E&E bag. I'd go scout over TG for the couple extra ci's and stays.

Brotzie
10-08-2009, 04:22 AM
I'd go Scout over TG for the couple extra ci's and stays.
+1 on that; there's only $23 difference (by the time you've bought comparable shoulder straps) between the Scout and the TG1. For that, you get 400 c.i. more (that's nearly 50% bigger!), more PALS real estate, better pack structure because of the stays, the ability to mount a Cargo Chair or Grab-It, hydration system compatibility...

duckear
10-08-2009, 12:38 PM
Dont know much about EDC.

But for hunting....

I have a MOLLEX, TG1 and a Scout. All Gen 1 stuff and 2 of the 3 purchased used, but like new.

The TG1 is perfect for day hunts in nice, predictable weather. The MOLLEX for other stuff. The Scout is gathering dust right now.

straps
10-08-2009, 05:36 PM
Didn't like the G1 Scout but now have 2 G2 Scouts -- different bag altogether. With a Maxped Janus up top and a Tad Op1 up front, it's my E&E (EDC/piggyback pack).

Off topic a bit, but what, exactly, have you found so different about the G2 Scout. I have 2x G1 Scouts that are pretty much perfect for me--

Hopefully you won't give me a bunch good reasons to upgrade. Because that would push the Black MOLLEx--"the last pack"--that much further into the future ;)

revelation2012
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Off topic a bit, but what, exactly, have you found so different about the G2 Scout. I have 2x G1 Scouts that are pretty much perfect for me--

Hopefully you won't give me a bunch good reasons to upgrade. Because that would push the Black MOLLEx--"the last pack"--that much further into the future ;)

Mesh pocket in lid (like the mollex) as well as POD loop tabs (my G1 has these but listed as new for the G2). Pals on the inside on the lid. Slot pockets on the inside. Bladder loop hanger.

on another topic, Anyone ever do any sewing mods. I would love to be able to put some sort of lock and load pocket on the sides of my scout lid.

Pardner
10-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Remembering that I use the Scout for EDC, the addition of the pockets and pals are what I am referring to. Doesn't sound like much but the G1 was basically a large pocket and had to look and dig around for items that shifted -- a hassle with large (gloved) hands and the smallish opening of the Scout.

Addition of velcro strap closure slot pockets inside plus the mesh pocket under lid means I know exactly where to put my hand and extract items without looking since the items stay in their pocket. The addition of pals on top to attach a Maxped Janus or mini-long is the icing on the cake.

CreationBear
10-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Pardner-- Out of curiosity, could you give me a idea what those slot pockets in the Scout might fit in terms of civilian gear? I puzzled a bit over the pictures on the website, but couldn't get a sense of how wide/deep they were. Thanks!

Pardner
10-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Pardner-- Out of curiosity, could you give me a idea what those slot pockets in the Scout might fit in terms of civilian gear? I puzzled a bit over the pictures on the website, but couldn't get a sense of how wide/deep they were. Thanks!

A stack of 7 regular DVD boxes (long side up) fit snugly and up to the top edge of a pocket -- however the velcro tab is not long enough to close since the DVDs fit right at the top edge -- putting just 4-5 DVD's allow the velcro to close. However most will not be using this much of the capacity but it is nice to have this pocket for organization or have it flat against the wall of the pack to use the entire area of the main compartment.

CreationBear
10-09-2009, 07:29 AM
Pardner-- Excellent, that helps a lot.

BuckarooMedic
10-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Straps,

I'll make the decision easy for you; just give me one of your old Scouts and then you can get a new gen2 Scout. How's that sound? :)

straps
10-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Straps,

I'll make the decision easy for you; just give me one of your old Scouts and then you can get a new gen2 Scout. How's that sound? :)

That would entail breaking into line ahead of not one but two company-sized elements of irredeemable ne'er-do-wells accustomed to my castoffs. Good luck with that.

Luckily for me, "Frankenscout" has the Pod Loops and the PALS from back when it was a custom option. The lid pocket and slot pockets are ***y, however...

revelation2012
11-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Remembering that I use the Scout for EDC, the addition of the pockets and pals are what I am referring to. Doesn't sound like much but the G1 was basically a large pocket and had to look and dig around for items that shifted -- a hassle with large (gloved) hands and the smallish opening of the Scout.

Addition of velcro strap closure slot pockets inside plus the mesh pocket under lid means I know exactly where to put my hand and extract items without looking since the items stay in their pocket. The addition of pals on top to attach a Maxped Janus or mini-long is the icing on the cake.

Hey Pardner, how do you find the straps for EDC. I was using my G1 for a while but found the longer straps cumbersom - getting caught on various stuff. The Volume is about perfect though.