PDA

View Full Version : Antelope

Scoutin' Wyo
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
Well I'll jump in and give my 2009 antelope report and hope that a few others (cough, Kevin, cough) will join in.

My bud and I headed NW of Rawlins last weekend for some antelope and with any luck some sage grouse. We just happened to time our drive for a lunch stop at Su`Casa in Sinclair. If you guys are ever on I-80 between Laramie and Rawlins around lunch or dinner, this place has some of the BEST mexican food in Wyoming.

Once we arrived at our hunt unit, we found a spot with a little less sage than the surrounding areas and dropped anchor.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr37/ScoutinWyo/P9264985.jpg

The first afternoon resulted in well over a dozen bucks that didn't have that "Wow" factor and my sage grouse limit shot with one trap shell (yes I forgot the shot shells in the camper and found this ONE load rolling in the scout glove box).

Second day found plenty of grouse in the morning and evenings with over 24 bucks passed up. While we were having lunch on the side of a dirt road a shiny new ford pulls up to chit chat. It's the State of Wyomings Treasurer!! What a laid back cat.

Third day more of the same, but an antelope down and no propane left in the camper. We had to cook too many grouse to keep our possesion limit in check. ;)

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr37/ScoutinWyo/lope20091.jpg

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr37/ScoutinWyo/P9264978.jpg

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic of the goat, but the camera was forgot in the camper (rookie) and with the heat we didn't dare tempt fait and got him skinned out ASAP.

Good time with a good friend!

I hope to see some more success in the sage.

Cleve
10-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Very cool. And you're continuing to get me pumped to hunt speed goats up there! And the grouse an added bonus.

GlennGTR
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice buck,good story and good photos...even the cell phone one.

Sixgunner
10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
WOW,
seeing all those IH vehicles brings back memories. My Father-in-law used to be an IH dealer before they quit manufacturing light trucks. He's decesed now but has a basement full of old parts. I'm leaving Weds. for my annual trip for deer/antelope. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
WOW,
seeing all those IH vehicles brings back memories. My Father-in-law used to be an IH dealer before they quit manufacturing light trucks. He's decesed now but has a basement full of old parts. I'm leaving Weds. for my annual trip for deer/antelope. Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

STOP RIGHT THERE BUDDY!!!! You can't just drop a statement like "...has a basement full of old parts..." and just walk away! If you have a desire to sell said parts I have a desire to purchase them. Please don't tease an old iron gear head without letting me know. :eek:

Sixgunner
10-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry,
I didn't mean to mislead you they're not "old" parts, they're actually new parts I just didn't edit my post. He was the local IH dealer for years until they went out of the light truck stuff. It almost caused him to go bankrupt because he had such a good clientel and sales volume that he really didn't have another line so he had to pick up some other things to make it.

T Bone
10-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Fine looking Binders!

Nice chickens and speed goats as well. Antelope are a fun hunt.

I just got bit by the IH bug last year. Picked up a 1980 Scout II with turbo diesel in need of rust repair. It's a project, but it's progressing slowly.

Sorry didn't meant to turn this into an IH thread.

T Bone

Smokepole
10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Nice photos Brian, looks like a great trip..

KurtB
10-05-2009, 07:24 PM
How the heck are those sage hens to eat? I always here conflicting stories. Looks like a real good hunt you had.

Uncle Jake
10-05-2009, 08:00 PM
T Bone

With corn binders, everything is an IH thread.

I only say that because I use to have a 70 Camper Special.:rolleyes:

Nice goat, by the way.

Scoutin' Wyo
10-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry,
I didn't mean to mislead you they're not "old" parts, they're actually new parts I just didn't edit my post. He was the local IH dealer for years until they went out of the light truck stuff. It almost caused him to go bankrupt because he had such a good clientel and sales volume that he really didn't have another line so he had to pick up some other things to make it.

New Old Stock is the holy grail of IH owners. Seriously, if your family members would ever considering selling them I sure there would be a market for them.

Fine looking Binders!

Nice chickens and speed goats as well. Antelope are a fun hunt.

I just got bit by the IH bug last year. Picked up a 1980 Scout II with turbo diesel in need of rust repair. It's a project, but it's progressing slowly.

T Bone

Nice catch on a 1980 SII. The old nissan turbo diesel is a good motor, but tough in a cold environment. If you are ever searching for info the http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php is a great forum.

How the heck are those sage hens to eat? I always here conflicting stories. Looks like a real good hunt you had.

Well I forgot spices, flour, and oil for proper bird cooking and kinda over spiced them in Lowrys (the only spice found on hand) so the dinners were nothing special. This was the first time I'd eaten sage grouse and I actually found them to be darn good. The dark meat and the smell of the bird while field dressing had me a bit worried, but I'm looking forward to cooking some up here at home. I bet they would be delicous done up the "Ozarkrambler" method.

Thanks fellas!

Timberline
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Sounds like a GREAT combo hunt - rifles and shotguns, and sage grouse and antelope. What could be better?

Man I missed hunting antelope this year! First year I've missed chasing them in about two decades. THE classic western rifle hunt.