PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose pouches/pockets for G1 E&E...

bigfoot
10-04-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm planning to use my black G1 E&E for travel and work. In both cases it will mostly be riding shotgun in the seat next to me, carrying EDC essentials, first aid, small survival stuff, GPS, etc. From time to time I'll be using it as a small backpack, also for EDC use.

Right now I'm seriously thinking about adding to my order... a Kifaru Organizer on the front and maybe a Malice GPS pouch to one side (to hold Garmin eTrex, hope this fits ok). Can anyone comment on how handy the Organizer is? When loaded up does it add a lot of weight or pull on the front of the E&E? Is it pretty secure riding there?

Another idea is adding just another standard chamber pocket to the inside and a Malice GPS pouch on the outside. A little cheaper, but less organized.

Open to any comments or suggestions -- let 'em fly! Thanks in advance...

bigfoot
10-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Here's a picture of most of what I plan on carrying if this helps (missing is the GPS and 1L Nalgene, gloves, and hat). Basically looking to empty my Pack Rat and have a little more room to carry some extra day-to-day stuff.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2634/3705853834_b0b1e62ea7_o.jpg

rt014
10-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Here is what I have mounted on my E&E:

-one skinny mini on one side: fixed blade and bottle of water (with room to spare)
-one Maxpedition Barnacle low on the other side: SAK, flashlight, multitool, chapstick, etc.
-one 2 qt. on the back: kifaru windshirt, fleece hat, liner gloves, goretex boonie (with room to spare...particularly for more 'low bulk' clothing)

bigfoot
10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all the pics and info! I think I am pretty much sold on the Organizer. If I can squeeze the GPS in there I may even skip getting the separate GPS pouch.

BuckarooMedic
10-05-2009, 06:02 AM
I've got a TAD Gear FAST pack admin panel inside my E&E. It works really well for me. A couple of small pockets on one side and three rows of PALS webbing on the other. I mounted two HSGI pistol magazine pouches to the PALS webbing, one to hold a multi tool and the other to hold a flashlight. The little pockets hold various, little things right now. I mounted it to the loops for the internal pocket that comes with the E&E, fits like a charm. I also added an Eagle admin pouch to the outside to hold my navigation gear; compass, GPS, protractor, etc. When I used it as a real E&E bag, I had a TT three mag pouch on each side to hold a total of six M-4 magazines.

This worked-out rather nicely for me. If I couldn't fit it in the E&E with this set-up, I didn't need it or I had to pare-down my load to make it work.

Take care,

gdw042
10-05-2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=16234

The link is to my write up I did on my E&E earlier this year. It's been working great for me all year.

I was a bit skeptical of the Org pocket until I got one. It's perfect on the front of the E&E and works great for the little things that always seem to just get tossed into a larger pocket. Makes them much easier to get to as well.

Depending on your GPS, it might be a tight fit.

GDW

kemp707
10-05-2009, 10:58 AM
BuckarooMedic

Wow.. that sounds like a very nice settup. Happen to have any pictures you could post of it along with your E&E?

And GDW... NICE!!! Like the writeup and explanation of what you carry and why. As I was reading it I was wondering the same question that was asked..... what goes in your marauder... HA! Seems like you can get most of the stuff needed just in the E&E with support pouches.

bigfoot
10-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks again guys! I was able to call in this morning to add an Organizer to my order. :)

That TAD panel inside is pretty sharp. Might have to try that out, too. Decisions, decisions, this is like being a kid in a candy store. Next step is which larger pack to get, ha ha... Marauder, Express, MOLLE Express, or X-Ray.

rhunter424
10-05-2009, 08:07 PM
My E&E has gone through the most changes out of all my packs. This is probably due to the it seeing the most usage so I get more chances to nitpick.

Starting off I had my G1 E&E with ATS Large GP on the front, Tactical Tailor Hardcase on one side and a maxpedition sheath on the other for my multitool.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_T6CnQq4GoiE/SPAiA8pXjuI/AAAAAAAAAqU/dH_lJ_0UDP8/s800/Picture%20001.jpg

The ATS Large GP was too large for it in my opinion, so I switched it with a Kifaru Organizer. Later on I replaced the sheath with an ATS Small Upright GP and had some basic survival things in there.

Then came the G2. I added a baby emdom pouch since I was able to move the organizer down with the added PALS. I have a post of what it contained here (http://www.kifaruforums.net/showpost.php?p=201316&postcount=41).

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_T6CnQq4GoiE/SnxLPuOLTcI/AAAAAAAABNI/USnaYIglb8o/s800/0807091140.jpg

I've gone through and condensed a LOT of stuff and have turned a liking to running packs plain. Now I just have my E&E plain with a chamber pocket and a homemade #10 lock and load on the panel. So far I'm digging it. Compressing it is easier and I just feel more organized despite not having the organizer. Maybe that'll change though :rolleyes:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_T6CnQq4GoiE/Ssql00L-_ZI/AAAAAAAABTE/qe35UbNxtz4/s800/1005092158.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_T6CnQq4GoiE/Ssql1CR7WHI/AAAAAAAABTI/6CFturwq6iY/s800/1005092200.jpg
(sorry for the kinda crappy pics....camera phone is all i got now)

RNAV(GPS)RWY 06
10-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I have an E&E with Organizer and GPS pouch like the setup posted by "benley" on 10/4/09. It's great. The best thing added however, is the X-Ray shoulder straps. Makes a very improved carry. The E&E is a valuable piece of kit period.

Sereal
10-19-2009, 02:50 AM
Like many others, my E&E went through a lot of changes before ending up where it is now. My E&E ended up being converted to a mostly EDC (every day close) bag, so I made some mods to suit my needs. Currently sitting as follows:

G1 E&E
X-ray shoulder straps (water + ammo = heavy)
Tactical Tailor Accessory Pouch 1V on each side
Female attachment points for small pod on front

I used to roll with the same setup except 2 x Kifaru GPS pouches and a 2-quart utility pouch on the front, but I wanted to streamline it a bit. Rolling with the small pod in front allows me to pack a jacket/fleece when necessary while keeping the bulk of the every day use stuff in the pack. I was living in AZ and keep bouncing in and out of Iraq so having a raincoat every day just wasn't necessary.

Sorry I don't have pics at the moment but I can't access photobucket on gov computers :D

*edit for photo

http://i417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/agentjaws/eelightspic.jpg

Bullfrog
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Here is what I have mounted on my E&E:

-one 2 qt. on the back: kifaru windshirt, fleece hat, liner gloves, goretex boonie (with room to spare...particularly for more 'low bulk' clothing)

+1 on the 2qt malice.

I had an Organizer but it was too small for what I needed - I also like carrying important/exspensive stuff like my light, knife, MP3 & phone etc. INSIDE my bag for security reasons - mainly as I use my E&E as my EDC in NYC and always have to be mindful of pickpockets and wandering hands on the street & subways... I opted for the Spec Ops Packrat Organizer for my goodies and it rides inside my E&E and gets transferred easily if I switch bags...

I put the 2 qt on the front and it is just perfect - can hold A LOT of stuff. I also keep gloves, hat and/or a bottle of water - things I need to get to fast but not too valuable.

Also, you cant beat the sale price on the 2008 malice 2qts right now...

AndyL
10-19-2009, 04:06 PM
I like the idea of a small pod on the E&E

I've just placed an order and didn't include one though. I do have a medium pod though. would that work on a E&E when it's only a little full? On my bigger pack it still takes up the same space but is very flat so it might not work and flap about.

bigfoot
10-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Some great ideas and photos here, thanks again! :)

bigfoot
11-10-2009, 08:47 AM
The G1 E&E and Organizer showed up the other day, courtesy of the big brown truck of joy. :)

I had also ordered a TAD Gear Admin Panel to put inside the E&E after reading about it here. That is a pretty slick piece of kit. I think I'll be saving the Organizer for the front of the X-Ray, keeping the E&E streamlined like folks here have mentioned. Leaning towards using the E&E as my around town EDC bag, with the X-Ray for longer trips and hiking & wilderness use. I'll try to get some pictures up shortly...