PDA

View Full Version : Express options

falcon
10-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Got an Express recently and have been trying my gear out in it and figuring out what changes are in order to make it work. Luckily have all sizes of stoves and pads, pans and filters. Going to be great for hunting and mild weather trips up to 2 days.

Of course I will want to stretch it out and use it outside of those perimeters so would like some ideas and personel experiences with some of the many pockets, pouches, and pods.

Original owner said the E&E threw the balance off. I have been looking at the small pod on top that Songdog used on his 4 day hike, and of course standard side pockets. How about the Back pouch or Claymore? Is that too much like the E&E?

I did a search, but found a lot of the pics are already gone, would like to see those too.

Akilae
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
From what I gather the E&E is a back pouch with shoulder straps.

steveb
10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
I think the larger long pockets / back pouch are sometimes too much for the smaller packs. On the express or marauder, I use the mini-longs on the side and a d&l claymore or organizer on back, also grab-it is useful. The E&E is fine on the Express, just don't put too much weight in it while it is mounted.

AndyL
10-04-2009, 04:39 AM
I use a emdom fattie which is similar to a claymore in size (slightly bigger I think) on the back of the Marauder. It's fine but I don't tend to carry it far and I don't put lots of heavy stuff. The bag it set up for first aid for public events so I have a medium pod with the big coat in mounted on top (bulky but very light), a book, food, drink glasses etc in the claymore type pouch. These get unclipped when I'm there.

adi
10-04-2009, 05:56 AM
Like AndyL said, EMDOM Fattie Wide Load might be what you're looking for or its smaller brother the Wide Load Pocket. The Claymores I don't have experience with, but the MALICE version (It can be attached horizontally) might be even be a better option as it looks more balanced. The Claymores' width and height are about the same dimension as the fattie but less depth. The MALICE/Hybrid version of the long pockets are also good if you plan on carrying heavy items strapped to the side of your MOLLEX/Express

AndyL
10-04-2009, 06:12 AM
I don't see why the fattie would have any advantage over the malice claymore. I just happened to get one second hand in the UK.

Brotzie
10-04-2009, 07:48 AM
... owner said the E&E threw the balance off. I have been looking at the small pod on top ..., and of course standard side pockets. How about the Back pouch or Claymore? Is that too much like the E&E?

It depends on how much weight you have in the E&E, of course, but if you mount it on the back of your main pack it can really throw your balance off. The same would be true of a heavily-loaded Claymore or other pouch too. Better to rig pockets etc. on the sides, top and bottom first. This pic below is of an XRay (as long-time visitors will know :) ) but illustrates the relative sizes of standard long pockets and medium & small pods. The Express is similarly proportioned but just a bit taller.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n69/brotzie/XRay/PICT1154.jpg

Agree with AndyL that a medium pod is an easy carry on the top so long as it's used for high-bulk low-density items likes clothing, sleeping bags etc. You could go completely mad and use four medium pods on your express (top, bottom, left & right) if all your extra load-out was stuff like that.

docw
10-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I travel frequently with my Express. Many times I have 2 longs and a back pouch on it. These are not a problem as long as you think about how you are loading. Heavy and awkwardly shaped gears goes in the main bag. Things that tend to take up alot of volume but compress such as clothing, woobies, etc go in the outside pouches. If at least 75% of the weight is in the bag it will not be off balance. However if you put any more than 20-25% or the weight outside the main pack, you are going to have issues. Cold weather clothes, t-shirts, socks, underwear, etc should go outside the pack. They are light and bulky but compress really well. The back pouch is big enough that if you have button op type shirts that you want to stay fairly wrinkle free, you can lay them on the bottom of the pouch and compress other things down on top of them and they will stay pretty wrinkle free. Nothing 2 min of ironing or steaming wouldn't take care of.

adi
10-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't see why the fattie would have any advantage over the malice claymore. I just happened to get one second hand in the UK.

Sorry AndyL, mistake is mine. I don't mean to say which brand is better whilst having your name quoted. Kifaru will always fit another Kif's better and I don't own any claymores but the depth is less than a Fattie especially when attached to the back where the PALS are, hence "might be better" for balance. I only have the Wide Load and occassionally attached it to the back of my MOLLEX.
Advantage wise, it depends on what's in it and where it's placed. :)